Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

My day out plant shopping.........

catherinet
12 years ago

Here's what I brought home with me.

Several Stacys Hummelo, "hello yellow" butterfly weed, "Tomato Soup" and "Jewel Green" echinacea, and "Lucifer" crocosmia (for the hummers).

Another trip this week to other places might be enough (but I doubt it!) :)

I'm feeling pretty high right now. I'll crash when the VISA statement arrives. haha

Comments (10)

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Looks like you got some good ones. I love the Tomato Soup Echinacea and "hello yellow" butterfly weed. Haven't had crocosmia for a long time--but they are such a pretty red and great for hummers. I just love plant shopping! I'd rather get a new plant than a new dress.

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Me, too, Sandy - I could care less about new clothes!
    You got some good plants, Catherine. One day I'm going to get 'Tomato Soup' - the butterflies would probably be attracted to such a bold color.
    Sherry

• catherinet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL.......I never buy clothes or jewelry, etc. My favorite places are hardware stores and nurseries!

I felt a bit guilty about the Tomato soup and the other
    Echinacea. I spent way too much for it, but they were very big, healthy plants. I bought a couple of small ones last year and they didn't make it. Plus....I worry if I don't get something at one place, the cheaper place I might go to won't have it.
    Last week I got a compact butterfly bush, a poppy, a lupine, several columbine canadensis, a clematis, some hyssop and lobelia. I'm still looking for another pipevine and butterfly bush. Maybe a honeysuckle vine too.
    I think therapy sessions for this addiction would cost far more than I've spent on flowers, don't you think? :)

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

I don't know, I've given up - I'm beyond help!
    Sherry

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

Yes, I'm sure therapy sessions would be really expensive. And I'm not sure there is a cure, or if I even want to be cured!

I found a bubbler fountain on half price at my fav nursery. Bought it for myself for Mother's Day. Had to get some plants to go with it.

sandy

• catherinet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't want to be cured either Sandy! :)

Your bubbler fountain sounds nice.

I made one more trip to another town to my favorite nursery. "Only" bought 2 white pines, some veggie plants, 2 butterfly bushes, and another lobelia. And if that wasn't a nice enough Mother's Day gift to myself, I bought a little window sun catcher of a dragon fly. Its wings were glass and its body was made out of beads. :) Good thing Mother's Day only comes once a year. hahaha
    So what plants did you get Sandy? What does your bubbler look like?

• butterflymomok
    12 years ago

The bubbler is a bowl with lily pads and a frog on top of a flat round piece that fits in the top of the bowl. The water comes up from a tube in the middle, goes over the lily pads and around the frog, and falls back into the bowl. It's about 18 inches tall, and 2 foot diameter. Very heavy! The sound is nice and soothing.

Plants include a "Hot Papaya" echinacea (for a hot mama), a beautiful miniature climbing rose, "Life line", to plant in memory of my mom, and some different sedums to plant in an area where I need ground cover.

I love suncatchers. But, haven't seen any cool ones this year. Yours sounds like it's very pretty.

Sandy

• catherinet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That sounds neat Sandy. I have 2 table-top fountains in my house. I love the sound of water trickling down.
    I also have a couple little water gardens in the back yard.
    Your plants sound nice too. I hope you enjoy it all!

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

Sandy, I could never think of a nicer thing for a loved one, than planting something in their memory.

There is a lady that works at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office. Her only child, a son, was killed in the 9/11 bombing. He left 2 children, a boy and a girl. She devoted quite a bit of land to a butterfly garden in his memory. How wonderful!

I bought new plants last week (Sandy already knows) including Pearly Everlasting (for the 3rd time), Gazanias - so beautiful - more Fennel, red Pentas, a lovely Madrid pink Penstemon (magenta flowers with white interior), a Jethro Tull Coreopsis, and a pink flowering Spanish Lavender.

I have this thing for "red" right now.

I wear raggedy clothing cuz I would rather spend $ on plants, seeds, whatever. And who needs therapy when buying plants is much more healing over the long-term????

I'm so bad, so bad, so bad...........

Susan

• mssunflower
    12 years ago

The students at work know better than to come in the office and ask me what I have planned for the weekend or holiday because the answer is "play in the dirt". And whoever is against playing in Mother Nature's playground just ought to be put out of their misery!!!! (Therapy????? Hmmmph! I don't think so!)