Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borrego_gw

Is this a Dudleya?

borrego
18 years ago

I am trying to ID this. It was recently given to me by someone doing some home renovation. Any help with it would be much appreciated.

Image link:

Comments (12)

• desert_gardner
    18 years ago

Look to me like it might be Bulbine.

• baci
    18 years ago

It looks like a fingers variety of Dudleya. Dudleyas should be starting to flower in So Cal right now, so yours might need re-potting &/ or more moisture. Once it starts growing again, you need to look at the flower & see whether the leaves are symmetric or asymmetric to start getting an ID. It looks like they may be asymmetric.
    Desert Tropicals has some info on Dudleya, but it looks outdated & incomplete. If you can, look at the latest JepsonÂs manual. It is expensive to buy, but if you go to a bookstore you can usually find the information you need. In the manual you will find the leaf description, & detailed botanic information. Most of these are CA natives, & the folks at UC Berkely are most likely to have the most updated info. Parts of their manual are online. On the link below is some info on the species & flowers:

Here is a link that might be useful: Dudleya varieties

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

dana - does the leaf on this plant look kinda like succulent grass? (its hard to tell from that angle) i had a plant that someone gave me, it looked like a clump of grass but succulent and had wonderful yellow and orange flowers on stalks. i never found a name for it. sorry i am no help for an id.

• buckhem
    18 years ago

I vote bulbine. Wait until it flowers, both are flowering now in Socal.

• dvl_
    18 years ago

Maybe a Dudleya attenuata-- it has slender leaves.

dvl

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Tropicals

• jeff_harris
    18 years ago

Definitely not a Dudleya - the leaves are all wrong. I agree with Desert Gardener that it's a Bulbine. A second gues, unlikely as it is, is Aloe parallelifolia.

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

i couldnt find a. parallelifolia pic for comparison.
    the dudleya attenuata at DT looks similar in growth pattern but these leaves are not bluish in color but rather yellow-green with yellow toward the tips.
    the plant color and flower stalk looks like Bulbine natalensis but the plant structure is definately more like Bulbine frutescens...so i am stumped!

Here is a link that might be useful: i used these pix

• rjm710
    18 years ago

Could it be a thin leafed form of Cotyledon orbiculata? Just a wild guess!!

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Attached is a link to Aloe parallelifolia - it's a choice plant, and is similar to Borrego's plant, but it isn't it. My guess remains that what he (?) has is the yellow or orange-flowered form of a Bulbine, perhaps B. frutescens, a common plant down here in the SW corner.

Here's a link to the Bulbine pics for you, Borrego:

http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-22,GGLD:en&q=bulbine&sa=N&tab=wi

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Aloe parallelifolia pics

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

jeff - thanks for the links! the aloe is quite unique. and i do believe bulbine frutscens is the correct id for this plant. i had not seen this plant before this past summer when it was *gifted* along with a canna purchase. it was on my mystery plant list...mystery solved.

• baci
    18 years ago

If you think of it, please post a picture of your plant once it comes back. ItÂs just that I have seen DudleyaÂs look like yours when they are a prolonged period in pots. They like the ground. I have had some native southern CA dudleyaÂs that look like yours, and the only way I bought them back was to stick in the ground. Regardless of what is it is, it should look nice when it flowers.

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Baci,

In the link provided above are some pics of Bulbines in flower - they are quite worthwhile growing (one doesn't really need to do anything for them). The most common one seen in these parts is the pure yellow-flowering form, but there's the second-most common one that has both yellow and orage flowers - IMHO the prettier one.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio