Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deefar

Survey time

deefar
18 years ago

If there were only one kind of plant you could grow what would it be? I know this is a tough question and too some it maybe unfair. To make it a little easier you can include a second favorite. For me it would be the Echinocereus then Mammillaria's.

Echinocereus delaetii x E. fasciculatus

{{gwi:461372}}

Mammillaria bocasana v. multilanata

{{gwi:461373}}

Dawn

Comments (27)

• Denise
    18 years ago

Dawn, your Mam looks like a stuffed Teddy bear sitting there! If it was half as soft as I looked, I'd be tempted to pick it up and give it a hug!

I'd have to pick Hoyas, but I still couldn't live without my Haworthias.

A favorite Hoya (macrophylla)...
    {{gwi:461374}}

And a favorite Haworthia (truncata v. truncata 'Lime Green')...
    {{gwi:461375}}

Denise in Omaha

• aksb
    18 years ago

Dawn,

I have to agree with Denise on that teddy bear look! Didn't really strike me immediately but ...

My favourite right now - so hard to choose - I'd have to say euphorbia and then mammillaria, but then I feel bad to leave out the gymnocalycium and echinopsis.

Jan

Euphorbia assorted
    {{gwi:461376}}

Mammillaria assorted
    {{gwi:461377}}

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

Denise, your truncata is GORGEOUS!

OK, hands down, I'd pick Rebutias first...

{{gwi:461378}}

followed by Mesembs. OK, I know Mesembs is a broad group, but it's so hard to choose!

Amy

{{gwi:461379}}

• cactusdan19
    18 years ago

Dawn,
    Nice teddy bear, I can see that. As far as which is my favorite.... that's a hard one. I think xerophytic/pachycaul tress/shrubs are my favorite, Mamms a close second. It really depends on which day it is :-)
    Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Bursera fagaroides

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

I'm going to have to be random on this one...If I could just grow one kind of plant, it would be succulents. I really can't narrow it down, because I like them all!

Kate

• tjsangel
    18 years ago

Hands down fave cacti would be Mammillaria. I have 3, one is in bloom now and my stupid camera wont work right! ugh. Then Gymno's. Now if you're asking any kind of plant, THAT is a tough one! : ) I know houseplants would be Sanseviera (sp?) but I also grow succulents, perennials, roses and shrubs. I couldnt pick in 100 yrs. Greenthumb, that Rebutia is wonderful! What is it? Oh, I have a large Echinofossulocactus on the way from ebay, I'll post pics-if I can!- when it arrives.

Jen

• newbhoy
    18 years ago

Dawn- Like the others have stated, the question you pose is a genuine headbanger:) But may we all consider this?
    We may all have favourites for looks,blooming displays, foliage colouration etc, but could we really rule out the first plants that we aquired that were the prerequisite for our obsessions, for instance I have a Astro Myriostigma of the 7 ribbed variety and also a Cephalocereus Senilis (old man cactus) which I've had since small seedlings and would consider the loss of these plants an absolute nightmare. So perhaps my favourites are those which have been with me the longest, you do get attached you know:) I'm sure everyone out there can see where i'm coming from.
    Enjoyed reading all you posts and hope for more head scratching questions in the future.
    Scott.

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Lithops :)

{{gwi:461380}}{{gwi:461381}}

• rosemariero
    18 years ago

Hmmm...very difficult to answer, Dawn!

I suppose if I went out & counted to see which genera I have the most of, I might be able to tell you.

Right off the bat, I'll say Echeveria is a group I enjoy, but I really like Kate's answer:
    Succulents!

~Rosemarie

• cactuspolecat
    18 years ago

For me if I had the choice of one Genus, I'd choose Mamms, and if push came to shove, I'd have to follow up with Echinopsis, (Lobivia specifically) followed closely by cacti and other succs, I think... :)

A couple of favourites...

Mamm microcarpa.
    {{gwi:461382}}

{{gwi:461369}}{{gwi:461369}} Lobivia longiflora.
    {{gwi:461371}}
    BTW I like the teddy bear too! it's a nice specimen Dawn!

Cheers, CP

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Scott, I started this thread just for fun. I was curious as to what everyone would say was their favorites. Like I said, I knew this would a tough if not sensitive subject for some. I could never rule out my first plant.

Denise, I love your Hoya and Haworthia. Very nice.

Jan, Nice collection of euphorbia's you have. I like your mamm's also.

Amy, Rosemarie and CP, somehow I got the feeling you were going to say that those were your favorites. Those are beauties you all have there.

Dan, Your Bursera fagariodes is beautiful. How old is it?

S&B, nice lithops. I love the brightness of the yellow in that flower.

Kate and Jen, Yes, it is very hard to choose a favorite. I thought about doing this thread a couple weeks ago but was affraid of the responses I would get. So far so good.

Dawn

• billinsc
    18 years ago

No head banger for me... POT if the law would let me!!! (Hebrews 6/7) Then cacti... :-)
    Bill in SC

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bill, I was referring to growing C&S but ok. I figured you would say something like Discocactus or Melocactus. I have to say that your answer is definately different :)

Dawn

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

Dawn,

That is one awesome plant. It looks like a Teddy Bear. You should put some plastic eyes on it and a little nose.

• billinsc
    18 years ago

Mrs Dawn: You said: If there were only one kind of plant you could grow what would it be? It's not in my nature to lie! LOL
    OK! From what I have in my collection now: Discocactus/Melocactus. I just love their cephaliums! (cephalium is the coolest word I learned last year). None of mine have the top hats yet, but I'm a waitin'.. I also like the Astros quite well, followed by..... but you said ONE!! Peace, joy, and love to all!! :-)
    Bill in SC

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

MBT, since almost everyone has said that my plant looks like teddy bear, I decided that I would name him Teddy.

Bill,
    ....And you type the word 'cephalium' with such enthusiasm.

Dawn

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

for me it is echs and well, most any crass - the plant that *really* hooked me was a sedum...but special nods to bill, and his honesty.
    dawn, perhaps i am a dunce but i dont understand your reluctance to post this thread.
    thanks to all for the lovely pix.
    jo

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jo, I don't know, I was afraid that someone would bash the heck out of me for posting such a thread. I got over it and posted the thread. So far we all seem to be having fun with it...especially Bill. Oh, btw Joe, your not a dunce, I am. I've gotten very good at it over the years just ask my husband, LOL :)

Dawn

• mdoneill
    18 years ago

Dawn,
    I am an off the wall Dudleya lover. I like the California and Baja connection. I have a dozen varities now but my favorite is absolutely the regal "chalk rose". This one is 15 inches across.
    Dennis

Here is a link that might be useful: Dudleya brittonii

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

mdoneill, I can see why that is your favorite, very nice.

Dawn

• cactus_kate
    18 years ago

Bill: Way to be honest! I think 'the law' is ridiculous for NOT letting you grow what you want. : )

mdoneill: I had no idea there were Dudleyas that were that beautiful! I love it.

Dawn: I think this is a great post, because apart from being fun, and getting to see what everyone else loves to grow, it actually makes you think about something!

Kate

• paracelsus
    18 years ago

Well, it's not quite as tasty as Bill's favorite plant, but you just have to love Aloe polyphylla's robust beauty:

{{gwi:461386}}

• sjv78736
    18 years ago

dennis - that is a beauty!
    dawn - i'm with kate, this is a fun thread!
    para - that pic always stops me in my tracks...the aloe is just stunning - hope to run across one for sale/trade along the way - but the entire garden is just spectacular! thanks again for posting this pic.
    jo

• deefar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am so glad that everyone is having fun with this thread. I think I know what I will do for my next survey. The Mr.Cactus thread I think was better though. We all had tons of fun with that one.

Paracelsus, That is a stunner of a aloe. The rest of your garden is spectacular. Way to go guy...Wahoooo!!

Dawn

• billinsc
    18 years ago

Forgot to add... Amy: That's a great pic of the Mesembs!!
    Bill in SC

• Denise
    18 years ago

Dennis - that Dudleya is a beauty! I have yet to find anyone around here who can grow Dudleya. Someone once sent me one in a trade and it lasted about 5 months before it looked so awful I tossed it.

Bill, I just HAD to get out my Bible to look up your reference (and felt bad when I had to blow the dust off of it!) Anyway, as I was looking through my books for it, my husband asked what I was doing and I told him. He laughed and nearly quoted the passage - probably the only one he could quote (bad boy, bad boy!) So here it is, in the language of the "New International Version" (which I always felt more readable, though perhaps not 100% accurate...):

Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God.

But I had to laugh when I read the next verse...

But land that produces thorns and thistles is worthless and is in danger of being cursed. In the end it will be burned.

Hm, beware all you who grow thorn-producing plants!! The wrath of God may be upon you!

Peace back at ya, Bill!

Denise in Omaha

• Ohio_Green_Thumb
    18 years ago

LOL, Denise I'm glad you posted that quote so I didn't have to go dig up my dusty bible!

Thanks for the compliment, Bill. That's my cute little Conophytum verrucosum. I'm quite fond of it.

Brad, I'm in love with your A. polyphylla! Too bad they don't pup; I'd give my left arm for one.

Amy

Sponsored