Software
Houzz Logo Print
rjj1_gw

Adenium Bloom

20 years ago

Our cold wet spring set my Adeniums back by a month. They are just now starting to bloom.

This is one I purchased from Taiwan.

{{gwi:471105}}

randy

Comments (10)

  • 20 years ago

    Wow, that's beautiful!

    -michael

  • 20 years ago

    dearest randy,

    your a.o. is georgeous! - as always - however this post makes me a bit sad :(...

    mine (2yrs old now) is full of leaves, looking very happy after its surgery. our spring was anything but wet or cool. yet again this year i see no sign of buds! :(...

    you suggested i upgrade to a bloom booster instead of reg feed - i did. i also use liquified seaweed 1X a month for extra nourishment. i even used some superthrive on it a couple of times. yet it (& my 4yo plummie) have never bloomed (and boy it's getting leggy!!)

    i've always been called the gal w/the green thumb in my family - but apparently the plummie and ao didnt get the memo! lol. i will love it for its caudex and unusual structure but i really want blooms.

    any more advise to share? tia --

    your friend in foliage,
    Jo

  • 20 years ago

    Hi Jo

    I would put it in the hottest, sunniest location you have and don't loose the faith :-).

    I seem to make people mad when I say this, but not all plants are created equal. If your bloomin' plant won't bloom by July, consider replacement. I grow a few Adenium and have high expectations. Adeniums that go a summer without putting on a show aren't given another summer. I don't have the time to care for inferior genetic material.

    The Adenium doesn't mind a super bloom once or twice early in the spring, buy I prefer a balanced fertilizer for normal use.

    I would ease off the bloom fertilizer on the plumeria if it doesn't set blooms before leafing out.

    randy

  • 20 years ago

    I need to throw in a qualifier here. We are talking about a regular obesum that can be found locally. If it were a monster socotranum or arabicum, I would probably think blooms were just icing on the cake :-).

    randy

  • 20 years ago

    Randy -
    thank you for your response. you have answered endless questions re: these two plants. while no doubt tiring for you, it is much appreciated by me.

    i agree that sun could be a problem with the ao...i had been reluctant to put it back in full sun since its surgery...i will re-acclimate immediately.

    i am most curious about your advise re: the plummie. this plant now has 15 leaves in various stages of growth, but no inflo. should it have produced an inflo BEFORE producing new leaves after dormancy?
    TIA-
    Jo

  • 20 years ago

    Hi Jo

    Yes, if it were going to bloom, the inflorescences would have been the first think you saw.

    randy

  • 20 years ago

    drat!!! then would you say it is okay to lop its head off so it wont get so leggy? it has gotten quite tall over these past 4 yrs. any advice on this surgery? i'm told it can be treated like any succulent. cut off the top, let the end dry and pot up for a new plant.
    thanks again!
    jo
    just between you, me and the fence post - i'm so tired of worrying over these two (non-)bloomers i am thinking of setting them aside in bright shade and treating them like red-headed stepchildren. lol

  • 20 years ago

    Jo

    Plumeria root fairly easy. I've taken cuttings around 12 - 15 inches long, cut at a 5 degree angle, let it sit for a day, then stick in a good fast draining soil. I usually take the foliage off and keep in the shade. Don't keep it wet, but don't allow it to dry completely out.

    randy

  • 20 years ago

    thanks randy...since i have nothing to lose this season, i am going behead it. jo

  • 20 years ago

    About ten years ago I rooted a couple hundred plumeria and had good success. I didn't water the pot like a normal plant. I ran the wand quickly over the container to the point it was just getting a heavy mist to moisten the the soil around the cutting without going deep into the pot. That added enough moisture and humidity without causing rot. I think I did it every day or two depending on the weather and how hot it was.

    randy

0
Sponsored