Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gee8ch

Theresa & Lotus Growers

gee8ch
16 years ago

Hi: Got to thinking about the Lotus tuber that's on its way and wondered if I could also grow Lotus from the Lotus Roots I find at the local Asian grocery store. Any ideas? Gloria

Comments (29)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I think I've read that they aren't viable in one of the GW forums. I don't remember the reason and I might be wrong. You should be able to get a definitive answer on the water garden forum.
    Karyn

• chena
    16 years ago

They have Lotus at your Grocery??? What do ya do with it?

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

Kylie

Thank 'whomever' came up with Google! lol!

Culinary Uses

The lotus plant has traditionally been used in Asian and Indian cooking. The seeds, leaves, and stem of the lotus are all edible. The flowers are used as garnish, the leaves as food wraps, and the underground stem (rhizome) as a soup or stir-fry ingredient. Lotus stamens are used as a flavoring and scent for teas, and the roots as a vegetable in cooking.

Mike

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I am still trying to figure out which pot to use so you don't want to ask me any difficult questions, lol. I have it in a pan of water for now. Some forum I read said you could leave them like that until they grow a few leaves and roots but I want to get it planted this weekend. Theresa do you have a full size pic of your plant so I can get an idea how big it will get?

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kylie: When I taught Chinese Cooking, we prepared Lotus by steaming, too. The raw slices have large holes that can be stuffed and then the slices steamed. The large leaves, when dried, are wrappers esp. in vegetarian cooking. Seeds can be dried and salted. Who-da-thunk? lol. Gloria

• threas
    16 years ago

Gloria, I hope you get your lotus today. If not, I will send you another. I know you can buy the dried decorative pods at a craft store and grow the seeds. How'd the lotus tuber taste?

Kristy,I don't have a pic above ground. Here's a couple of pictures with the lotus in the background. It doesn't get too big, about 2-3ft. tall and wide. Leaves measure about 12-18" across.See the floating leaves?They're the lighter green dull looking ones. Your's will only spread as wide as the pot.

{{gwi:472675}}
    {{gwi:472672}}

• threas
    16 years ago

Shoot#$%^ I'm having problems with photobucket today.The first picture isn't clickable. Let me try again.

{{gwi:472673}}
    Here's another,for good measure!:){{gwi:472674}}

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Just beautiful Theresa, thanks for sharing! I can't wait to see my lotus blooming. I got a blue waterlily last season and I hope it survives and blooms like your beautiful lilies in your pond.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Theresa your garden is so pretty. I love it. I wish mine looked that nice. I just have too many plants and everything is so crowded.
    Karyn

• daniellalell
    16 years ago

That's very pretty Theresa!

Gloria, I don't think it would hurt to try it, but alot of tmies they spray that kinda stuff so it doesn't get sprouts..just like potatoes. If you can get an organic one, then it'll probably be better. It's not a bad idea, and probably cheaper! I may have to go to the Asian market in the next town to see if they have any!

Good luck! Let us know what happens if you try it!
    DAniella

• threas
    16 years ago

Betcha they're really big suckers too! Now that lotus would take a big pot!

Thanks for the nice comments guys! I only have 3 waterlilies, supposed to be small to medium varieties. They go nutso growing all over by August.

Eloise, I assume your waterlily is a tropical? I've had a few over the years. Last year I had a "Panama Pacific". I tried to overwinter it in the basement, it rotted. I'll hit you up for a tuber when you divide it. :)

Theresa

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I think I have decided to use the large wide tub and put it at the middle of a bed and sink it so you can't see it and outline the bed with bricks. Then I can plant other flowers around it like an island with a miniature pond in the center. What do you think? I have a big statue of a lady that would look good beside it like she was looking in the little pond.

• threas
    16 years ago

Kristy, That sounds beautiful! Can't wait to see pics!

Theresa

• threas
    16 years ago

Can anyone see it? First picture, second post!

BTW, impatiens love wet feet! That's the bright orange flower that matches my goldfish!:)

Theresa

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Too cool Theresa you fish and flowers match. I had mine in a saucer of water all the later part of the summer last year but I thought they just couldn't get enough to drink from being rootbound, lol. We are leaving in a little while for Houston. Talk to you later.

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Theresa, I believe it is a tropical -- will have to look for the info on it. When it gets to the point when I can divide, then you can have a start, remind me. It hasn't sprouted leaves yet. It was a small rhizome, but in trying to protect it, I had it indoors so I think that delayed its growth. My pink is in a half-whiskey barrel and there are lots of pads already and yesterday saw a flower bud!

• threas
    16 years ago

Have a safe trip, Kristy. Talk to you when you get back.

I guess it looks like I meant the impatiens. LOL The surprise I was talking about is a little "Frogpole"! See if you can find it!

Eloise, The blue waterlily is a tropical. Hardy ones don't come in blue. It won't start growing until water warms up. My hardy ones are sending up shoots now!

Theresa

• gee8ch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

threas: Lotus tuber arrived late Sat. Have everything ready for it. Will keep you posted on my ... success?
    Thanks again for sharing it with me.
    Now, do you know if Water Lilies have the same requirements as Lotus? Will also search the web for info. Off to make my "mixture" for Le Lotus! Gloria

• threas
    16 years ago

Gloria, I am so glad you got it!
    Lotus are hardy, although they like warm water temps to start growth. Same with tropical waterlilies. Hardy waterlilies start growth before it warms up.My pond water is 48* and I can see them growing underwater. They all like lots of fertilizer.

Theresa

• napdognewfie
    16 years ago

Theresa, I love your yard. It's nice & cozy. Your neighbors' yards look mine too, don't those people have anything that blooms? Reminds me of a golf course.

Linda

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I love your yard Theresa. My husband just looked at it with me and I told him I want to do something like that with a little pond in the middle and my lady statue. He said look how nice her yard is compared to the neighbors, lol. I went to visit a real bog and swamp today. The place we meet to drop my daughter off so we can visit the gators. I'll try to post some pics of it later. The wildflowers were all blooming and I am crosseyed from trying to focus the camera and take pics at 70mph, lol. They had the most beautiful huge stands of the marsh type irises blooming in the swamp. I wanted to swipe one but I was afraid of the gators, lol.

• threas
    16 years ago

I am on a corner lot.That's my backyard and then the street, half way across it changes into a different town! You are seeing their front yards. At least they keep them well manicured!
    My pond area is small but cozy! You should see me doing a balancing act, trying to get next to the fence! Not a pretty sight! One of these days I'll be taking a trip into the pond. The fishies will love it!LOL Thanks for the nice compliments!

Theresa

• threas
    16 years ago

Can anyone see it? First picture, second post, to the right of the pink waterlily!

Theresa

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Oh, your froggy! I see it up and a bit to the left of the lower pink waterlily.

• threas
    16 years ago

Do you see he still has a tail?

• daniellalell
    16 years ago

O OK Theresa, now I see him, lol. He's a cutey..I love frogs. Gonna try and keep some in my pond this year. I hope they stay and the critters, including mine don't get them.
    My puppy keeps drinking the water out of the lotus tub like its her personal water dish. Probably why she keeps farting so bad, lol. manure water, yum! I really didn't want to have to have that fenced in one of the flower beds..but if she starts digging in that tub.. You don't think that will hurt her do you?

Kristy, I am on the hunt for water irises too. I know by time I get to HD they will be sold out of all the water plants I want. I should go today though...I need tubing for the pump. Hoping to have it up and going by this weekend.

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I see him! He is cute. I have growth on my tuber! Yeah!

• threas
    16 years ago

That is so awesome, Kristy! I guess I didn't kill them!LOL Keep up the good work! A picture would be nice! :~)

Theresa

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I'll try to post one tonight. I took one last night when I saw it of course, lol. I got some zebra tail grass and a water iris today to put in there with it.