Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaga_gw

All we need for Christmas....

jaga
15 years ago

Ho Ho Ho it's that time of year again for us to wish everyone a great Christmas. With the world's economy going to the toilets it's a good time for us to take stock & reflect on what's really important.

Who needs big screen tv, playstation, turkey, wine from a bottle, lunch or dinner when we can have this!!!

(what do you expect- it's the brom forum)

These are second generation Vriesea Tasman hybrids which we were lucky enough to photograph before being snapped up by eager buyers. (Yes a few were put in our xmas box)

1) Overall shots

{{gwi:517380}}

1.1)

{{gwi:517382}}

1.2)

{{gwi:517384}}

1.4) More Overall shots

{{gwi:517386}}

2) Close ups

{{gwi:517388}}

2.1) close up side

{{gwi:517390}}

3) close up

{{gwi:517392}}

3.1) Close up side

{{gwi:517394}}

4) Close up

{{gwi:517396}}

4.1) Close up side

{{gwi:517398}}

5) Close up

{{gwi:517401}}

5.1) Side

{{gwi:517403}}

6) Close up

{{gwi:517404}}

6.1) side

{{gwi:517405}}

7)Close up

{{gwi:517406}}

8) Another close up for luck

Merry Christmas to all, take it easy & may santa have a large sleigh full of broms from everyones's wish lists!!!

Comments (42)

• frangipani_56
    15 years ago

Hi Jaga,
    Thanks so much for this beautiful Christmas eye candy.
    I logged onto the site hoping for something new and lovely to look at and all my Christmases came at once.You sure exceeded my expectations.
    Thanks again and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

• brom_phil
    15 years ago

yes thanks Jaga they are some great vriesea there. santa is going to need to bring a pritty big trailer for my wish list.
    Phil

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

I'm getting some Kiwi series for Christmas. Maybe the Tas will show up next year here

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Jaga, thanks for these wonderful pic's and all the others you have posted during the year.

I have noticed a few of the new Vriesea hybrids now have a large percentage of white in their colouring and was wondering why they don't just turn brown and die like some Neo's do when they have a lot of white in their composition.

Is it maybe because the hybridizers have managed to just reach and maintain that critical point of balance where there is sufficient green for the plant to survive?

I hope Santa finds his way to N.Z. OK and has lots of plants left over for you. Compliments of the season to you, your family and all of our extended Brom. Family here on the forum.

All the best, Nev.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Vriesea seem more fiberous in their leaf composition maybe the layers are more complex than a neo with no green. The white on these wont tolerate alot of heat and direct sun...but otherwise seem to do well as white

• jaga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Nev,

The whites are probably because a lot of these new tasmans are snowman & candyman X. They are surprising tough, definitely more tough than the varigated neos. We've had Tasman Cherry wine in almost full sun & it still has not burn. Our snowman has not got a mark on it. It has also the advantage of retaining it's white through all seasons, whereas the pink ones tend to fade in winter. In fact we find the red ones can be more subsceptible to burning.
    HDD hope you'll get your Tasmans someday, they are well worth the wait. We'll be posting our haul soon once we've taken their potraits. The above is only a small selection of the Grex, even more spectacular ones are waiting in the wings- hopefully we'll be able to afford them when they come up for grabs!!!

• lovelyiris
    15 years ago

Gosh I love them all but I really wish I could get number 7 close up in my stocking for Christmas. I've really been pretty good this year Santa!

Happy Gardening, Marian

• brom_phil
    15 years ago

hey nev i i was ready my new bromeliad book the other day and i read something about if you look close at some of the verigated vriesea hybrids that you will see a ting of green this it says that there is a layer of green under the white ill go find the book and write up what it said.
    Phil

• jaga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Brom phil,
    Very nice white neos- are they delicate or can they take full sun?
    Would be most interested to hear from others with white broms as to their hardiness (pics would be good too, for eye candy)- show us your whites!!

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Phil, Thanks heaps for that interesting imformation and pic's. What was the name of the book you saw it in?

All the best, Nev.

• brom_phil
    15 years ago

jaga i would not have a clue on there hardiness my gesss is i would not risk it.

spinter the book is called bromeliads the connoisseur's guide. this book is the follow on from Bromeliads for the Contemporary Garden written by Andrew Steens. i have not read the 2nd one but the first one is quite interesting it has topics of discovering new bromeliads, building a collection, developing new broms (hybridising,sports and the intergenics), and collection of rare and exotic broms all sorts of genus'.
    Nev i can only say it was the best gift i have ever recieved.

Phil

• rickta66
    15 years ago

Jaga,

Wonderful pics as usual, I hope you have a great Chrissy.

Cheers,

Rick

• ltecato
    15 years ago

I wish someone from South Texas could hook me up with one of their native Hechtias for Christmas. Thanks to the recession, I'm out of work for the foreseeable future, so I'm tempted to jump in my pickup and drive across three states to dig one up for myself.

• brom-nutter
    15 years ago

Hi Jaga, I have found that the Vriesea with a lot of white need really strong light or they tend to green up.
    Some will take full morning sun ( Milky Way ) especially.
    I have also had discussions about the white being cream chlorophyl not albinoism?

Some pics also - Cheers Richard

Merry Xmas to one and all

Vriesea Dawn Glory

{{gwi:517409}}

Vriesea Casper

{{gwi:517410}}

Vriesea Fantasy

{{gwi:517411}}

Vriesea Illusion

{{gwi:517412}}

Vriesea Milky Way

{{gwi:517413}}

Vriesea Kiwi Cream

{{gwi:517414}}

Vriesea Snows of Mauna Kea F2

{{gwi:517415}}

Vriesea Forest

{{gwi:517416}}

Vriesea - (to be registered)

{{gwi:517417}}

• jaga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lovely vrieseas Richard, really like the illusion & the toberegisterd! Very intersting about light level & whites -In our experience we have 2 groups , one that seems to be permanent in their whites & one that loses the white in lower light.

The first group are:
    a) Snowman- our most consistent plant, have had a couple of generations so it's stable, & it keeps it's white in lowlight. In high light it tends to get a bit pink (we prefer the white so have it in lower light)It never goes green

{{gwi:517418}}
    b) Tasman Hybrid we call `peppermint slice'- has kept it's white through all conditions
    {{gwi:517419}}
    c) Vr Sideliana var giantia (Nova)- we have it in shade & it looks great though gets purplish in high light
    {{gwi:481033}}
    d) Vr Summer Days - another one that holds it's white- in fact all the Maloys `Summer' series is surprisingly stable though they look so fragile
    {{gwi:517420}}
    d) Vr Sideliana - this species also retains its white- we've had it in very low light
    {{gwi:517421}}
    e) Vr Tasman Coconut Ice- more cream than white but holds it well
    {{gwi:517422}}

Others like Kiwi Cream do fade in lower light, as does our White Chestnut
    Our Kiwi Cream- it's had to fend for itself in our garden & being through a dark winter & only getting dappled light now
    {{gwi:517424}}

Heres another white tasman (not ours, so don't know how it does but it's eye candy)
    Vr Tasman Cherry Pie
    {{gwi:517425}}

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Hi John and Agatha and all other bromnuts,

I love all the photos on this thread - thanks for sharing everyone.
    Of yours J+A, my faves are #3,4, and 7 - just mouth watering!
    Richard - Illusion and Forrest are winners for sure!
    Phil - thanks for showing us the white neos, and your enthusiasm is so refreshing!

O.K. - here are some more pics of white broms, or of some with lots of white.

Neo. nivea - a species
    {{gwi:517426}}

{{gwi:517427}}

Vriesea 'Megan'
    {{gwi:517428}}

{{gwi:517429}}

{{gwi:517430}}

Vriesea 'White Cloud' - a variegated form of erythrodactylon
    {{gwi:517431}}

...and guess what this one is!
    {{gwi:442169}}

WISHING ALL BROMNUTS A SAFE AND HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

Cheers,
    Kerry

• brom_phil
    15 years ago

kerry i love Vriesea 'White Cloud' its white how hardy is it and how much would a pup cost.

Phil

WISHING ALL A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Phil - I bought mine on eBay. I'll email you the seller's name and phone number. So far, it's been quite hardy - and yes, it is unusual and very lovely :)

K

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

I like that Tiger Tim!

• brom-nutter
    15 years ago

Thanks Jaga - DROOL! DROOL! DROOL!
    What wonderful eye candy and I would like a peice of peppermint slice or Coconut Ice.

Cheers Richard

Such great pics on this thread so here are a few more.

Vriesea Bianca

{{gwi:517432}}

Vriesea gigantea x gigantea siedeliana

{{gwi:517433}}

Vriesea Kakadu

{{gwi:517434}}

Vriesea White Bands

{{gwi:517435}}

Vriesea gigantea hybrid

{{gwi:517436}}

Vriesea Mauna Kea F2

{{gwi:517437}}

Vriesea unnamed seedling

{{gwi:517438}}

Vriesea gigantea siedeliana (Nova)

{{gwi:517439}}

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Some more lovely ones, Richard. Do you know what the gigantea hybrid is crossed with?

John and Agatha - I want some Coconut Ice too, please!

K

• jaga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Kerry & Richard for the visual feast! Love Tiger Tim & white cloud. Hmm I wonder if there are any white clouds in NZ (nz lurkers please contact us if you have any!!!)
    Anyway have managed to take pics of our new Tasmans scrounged over the last few mths - we justify it all by calling them gifts, 2 are for xmas- guess which 2!!

9) Overall shot

{{gwi:517440}}

1. Tasman Hybrid we call forest fire
      {{gwi:517441}}

2. Tasman Hybrid we call Candyshop
      {{gwi:517442}}
      Side view
      {{gwi:517443}}

3. Tasman Hybrid we call Aubergine Ice
      {{gwi:517445}}
      Side View
      {{gwi:517447}}

Happy Christmas Everyone & Keep Safe. Remember No Drinking before removing pups!!!

Cheers
    John & Agatha

• anniesam
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone, Merry Christmas, thank you for the lovely photos, lots of drool happening here. Ive just finally gotten around to Joining (thanks Richard for the tips) and im looking forward to the topics and discussions, I will post some pictures of my plants as soon as i work out how to use this site, Im in sunny Australia about 1 hour 45 from Richard and live in a lovely town called Port Macquarie. Keep up the great work everyone , those broms are just stunning.
    Cheers Tamera

• anniesam
    15 years ago

HI thought i would add my Vr Southren Cross. ( Thank you Richard i can now post a photo Lololol){{gwi:517449}}Cross

• jaga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome to the forum Tamera & what a wonderful photo to start off- hope we'll see heaps more!

• neomea
    15 years ago

Hi Guys

All these lovely Vriesia and no way to get hold of them! What to do???

Cheers

Dennis

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Tamera! That Vr. Southern Cross is stunning.
    J+A - I love those Tasman hybrids, especially Candy Shop (well named!)

Sorry, Dennis. But it kind of makes up for us Aussies and Kiwis not being able to easily import broms from other countries. Due to that difficulty, it means that a few great hybridisers have been inspired to create our own hybrids. There is much envy by Aussies of the N.Z. Maloy vriesea hybrids, as well as by the Kiwis of our Koning vriesea hybrids.
    I guess it just means that you will have to start creating your own! ...and be patient, my friend.

K

• brom_phil
    15 years ago

hey Tamera so you live in port well i finly am finding people who live near me i live closer than richard i am in kundabung though my collection is nuthing to be proud of, not many nice broms and the nice ones i do have are damaged and look terrable. look forward to seeing more of your plants.

Phil

• anniesam
    15 years ago

Hi Kerry, thank you for the warm welcome. Im looking forward to all the Brom chatter that this groups has.
    I showed Jack (Koning) the lovely photos on this thread and he was very impressed. Thought i would add a few more photos of his Milky Way x The Daintree Hybrids- That is where Southern Cross came from.

Aussie Beauty Kerry{{gwi:517450}}
    Yes named after Our own Kerry Tate

Aussie Beauty Eden{{gwi:517452}}

Aussie Beauty Tamera{{gwi:517453}}

Aussie Beauty Frances{{gwi:517454}}
    Vriesea Lemon Sorbet
    {{gwi:517455}}
    And these are the next generation of Jack koning Vrieseas.{{gwi:517456}}
    {{gwi:517457}}

• bromeliaddict
    15 years ago

Happy holidays to everyone! It's a wonderful gift to share these beautiful plant photos. There are at least a half dozen to add to my "wish list"!
    Here in Michigan, with a foot of snow on the ground and an overnight temperature of 1 degree (fahrenheit, not celsius!) we are gauranteed to have a "White Christmas". In keeping with the white foliage theme- here's a picture of my Vr. fosteriana 'Vista'
    {{gwi:440937}}

I've had it for years, and it's finally deciding to send up a flower spike! Any ideas if it will self seed? and what I might expect from an f2 generation? One more question- since these bloom very erratically for me- I'm just curious if there is a particular time of year when foliage Vrieseas are more prone to bloom?

Paul

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Tamera - Welcome from me also. I see you live in the beautiful area of Port Mac where we've spent a lot of holidays with the kids when they were small.

It's good to see the Aussie forum members are working their way down the coast, and maybe one day they will reach my location on the sunny south coast.

I hadn't heard of Jack Koning until I joined this forum, but he really breeds some beautiful Vrieseas and apparently names them after all his favourite girls.

And what about the shape of that Vr Kakadu X Self, isn't that something special? Wow! would I like to get into his collection.

All the best to everyone for Chrissy and the New Year and have a safe and happy Christmas break. Nev.

• lovelyiris
    15 years ago

Ok, I'm still drooling over every singel brom I've seen here. You folks are killing me with all the wonderful photos. I am now up to around 50 in my collection. I assume mine are all the lesser desired broms. The most I've paid for one is about $20 plus shipping. I have the names on all the pots but I have as of yet to write them all down. I guess it's because I have more important things to do, like looking at more bromeliad photos and looking for good deals on ebay for them.

Do any of you have a list of Good Sources here in the States? Are do you have contacts that you can get some good deals on? I'm new to the bromeliads but I've been an active gardener all my life. I'm still trying to figure out all the lingo dealing with broms and it's almost like ya'll are speaking a different language as far as I'm concerned. I guess it's overload for my Old Brain. LOL

I really do want to get a couple of the beautiful white broms.

Please keep posting all the photos so if nothing else I can die happy from all the wonderful pictures.

Merry Christmas and God Bless each and everyone of you. May your gardens be filled with many new and different bromeliads this year!

Marian the Bromeliad newbie!

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Wow!!! What a drool feast! They are all too beautiful to single out some of them. I covetted those white ones with the nice wide leaves. It's too bad that our South African Santa does not have access to them! But I have to say that the 'white' Vriesea that I first fell in love with, was your Vista, Paul, when you first showed it here on this forum - and you all know the thing about first loves?!

Jaga, thanks so uch for starting this and all of you who added more and more!

May you all have a lovely Christmas and a very prosperous Brom year in 2009!

Here are my two 'white' ones, not nearly as nice as all those above, but with a bit of TLC and some time, I am sure they will also enhance my garden.

Vr Margarita, not really white variegation, but rather light green:

{{gwi:517458}}

And Vr Raphael, variegated form of philippo-coburghii. I cannot wait for those tips to get some more red in them!

{{gwi:517459}}

Japie

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Wow, both the Maloy and Koning hybrids are just fabulous! I love those rounded leaf tips, they're starting to look more and more like Neos. ;-)

Tamera, what on earth is the name of that last one on your posting, the pale pink with green streaked tips? I had just managed to maintain my composure until I saw that!
    *wiping drool off keyboard*

I echo the welcome to the forum, and warm holiday greetings to all!

• jaga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tamera,
    WOW, We are speechless - that last one & the lemon sorbet - yum yum yum. Any chance of getting more close ups of the group- some of the ones that look like strawberry sundae looks like they could be stunners! Our thanks too, Tamera, to Jack for letting us view these beauties.
    Nothing inferior about your Magherita, Japie. I think a taste of lemon sorbet washed down by a magherita would be heavenly. (Vriesea heaven)

• devo_2006
    15 years ago

Well it's not white...and it's not even a Vriesea...but it sure is flowering.

{{gwi:517460}}

Thanks for all the photos during 2008...looking forward to many more in 2009!

Merry Christmas everyone!
    Andrew.

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Very FESTIVE indeed !

• anniesam
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone and thank you for the warm welcome, We are enjoying the photos that you are all posting.
    Lisa, thank you for the kind words The plant you are asking about has not yet been registered but will be under the name,Vr Melissa Dilling. It is a Vr Kakadu x self and the parents of Kakadu are Vr Fenestralis x Vr Fosteriana. Vr Kakadu has been registered and is on FCBS. Fenestralis is a amazing parent and as the photos show is capable of producing some amazing plants. Im just starting in the Vriesea Hybridizing game ( i have always grown some broms but my main interest was in Orchids, The orchids have just about gone and the Broms well and truly have taken over). I have been a friend of Jacks for 40 years as we both grew orchids, and he has shown me the finer points in pollinating and is a great inspiration. I also love Billbergias and have been busy this last 12 months playing with pollen and as a result i have Billbergia seedlings everywhere. I will post a few photos of them in the next couple of days. Im very excited about the colours they are showing.I also grow a few Guzmania's, Aechmea's and Neo's, but Vriesea's and Billbergias are my main areas of interest.
    Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome.

Tamera

• paulh_fl
    15 years ago

I haven't posted in a long time but this thread is awesome. Happy Holidays to everyone!

{{gwi:517461}}

{{gwi:517462}}

{{gwi:517463}}

• brom_phil
    15 years ago

paulh_fl you made up for all that time of not posting in this oe post i love that first one what is it. and the last one what is the neo bottom 2nd from the left i got a fealing i have it but i dont have the name.

Phillip

• paulh_fl
    15 years ago

Thanks Phil
    Vr. 'Red Chestnut' is the 1st one and the other is neo. 'banquet' - at least I think!!!!