Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
astrophytumfreak

Ariocarpus scapharostrus MMR. 15.1

astrophytumfreak
18 years ago

Ariocarpus scapharostrus MMR. 15.1 Las Adjuntas, 3½ month old from seed, ready to flower for the first time:

{{gwi:490324}}

{{gwi:490325}}

Enjoy!

Dan

Comments (8)

• billinsc
    18 years ago

Dude!! You must be some kind of genetic scientist to grow stuff as fast as you do! It just ain't natural! You're scaring me!! :-) I am, as usual, totally flabberghasted at your skills!!
    Bill in SC

• paracelsus
    18 years ago

Dan, I'm confused. It looks grafted and happy but if it's only 3.5 months from seed, how old was it when you grafted it?

I agree with Bill, your growing skills are extraordinary, Dr. Astrophytumfreakenstein! :)

• astrophytumfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm a bit impressed with this years growth as well.
    Paracelsus, the plant was 2-5 days old when I grafted it. I think this is the best age to cut the seedling.
    Dan

• ariole
    18 years ago

Yes, I'm a member of your fan club.

Dan, may your enthusiasm with this venture never fail. I don't want to get older any faster than I am, however I am so eager to see the results of your creations ten or more years down the road. I view you as a true pioneer.

Because I follow every one of your posts I realize you have a particular fondness for Astrophytum and Ariocarpus. Are there any genera that you find not receptive to your grafts?

Al

• dvl_
    18 years ago

Dan,

I too am immensely impressed with your skills------- I could not even see a 5 day old seedling much less be good enough to "work" with it!!! I also hope to see the results of your work in the coming years. Now---- If you could only graft 24 yr old blondes for me-- I would start a "Dan the Man Fan Club" !!

Regards from Texas!

David

• meloman
    18 years ago

That is amazing record Dan! great work.

• astrophytumfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks a lot guys.
    Al, don't worry, I hope to continue my pereskiopsis experiements for a long time. I just bought a big aluminum shelf yesterday, so I will have room for more than 1000 grafts next winter.
    You are right, I'm very fond of Ariocarpus and Astrophytum. Hoever I have also grafted many Lophophora's and Echinocactus horizonthaonius this year, and they all seem to grow very well. I guess you could graft all cactus species on pereskiopsis.
    David, are you sure it's a good idea to graft a 24 year old blonde on a pereskiopsis stock? She would look 100 years old in a few months :)
    Dan

• astrophytumfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The flower opened today:

{{gwi:461337}}
    {{gwi:490326}}
    {{gwi:490327}}
    {{gwi:490328}}

Dan

Sponsored