Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lschibley

Where should I site my camellia?

lschibley
14 years ago

{{gwi:513696}}From oct4

I just purchased an April Tryst Camellia. It blooms in spring with red flowers and I would like to come up with a good site for it. I know it needs protection from eastern winter sun exposure and protection from the strong north east we get. My choices are along the woods to the left of the house, where it would get sun protection, but be open to the winds, along the face of the house which is probably the best choice, but would involve the most rearanging, or along the woods to the right of the house, where it would be well protected from winds, but would get more winter sun.

If anyone has some thoughts about their experiences with spring blooming camelias, I'd love to hear them.

Lisa

Comments (5)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    14 years ago

In the northern reaches of the 'camellia belt',

1) protection from morning winter sun,

2) protection from prevailing 'coldest' winter winds,

3) dappled shade to some sun in afternoons in summer and winter.

Are you Northeast winds off the ocean? Are they as cold as Northwestern winds?

• bill_ri_z6b
    14 years ago

My camellias are all against a south-facing wall and/or fence so they are protected from northwest and northeast winds. One is just at the drip line of a blue spruce, shaded but gets rain. The other three are under a holly. All of them get only early and late sun in summer and a little in winter but not direct. Three are spring blooming and one is in bloom now.

I would think that you should site yours where you can enjoy it, and if that means wind exposure, you can always put some stakes in the ground around it in winter and wrap burlap around the stakes just to protect from wind. You can also spray with Wilt Pruf or similar. To sum up what I'm saying is that it's probably easier to deal with wind exposure than sun exposure, so I'd give the sun situation more consideration.

• lschibley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So it sounds like the winter sun is more of a danger than the winter winds which might mean along the left woods (left when you are facing the house) might be the most appropriate. It would be almost completely shaded in the winter, especially in the morning, but the sun is high enough in the summer for it to be at least half sun, possibly more. Definitely need to do some more thinking on how to protect it from winter winds.

BTW. Here is a closer view in winter of the area you guys seem to be steering me towards. I am assuming a line of woods behind doesn't really give any protection. The prevailing cold strong winds come along the point of view of the camera. {{gwi:513699}}From Dec2008snow

Thanks so much for all your ideas!

Lisa

• bill_ri_z6b
    14 years ago

For your variety of Camellia, winter cold should not be an issue, but the danger from winter wind is dessication, or drying out. The leaves of broadleaf evergreens like camellias still transpire so they lose moisture to the air, but with the soil mostly frozen, the roots can't absorb water to replace the loss. That's why spraying with Wilt-pruf works. Also why any protection from the wind, such as a burlap structure surrounding, but not touching, would be fine. You only need to go around the plant, not over the top. Good luck!

• steve_nj
    14 years ago

Provide a good winter mulch to minimize ground freezing. For best results, start with a 2 or 3 gallon sised plant.

More Discussions