Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Deformed brug and others flowers

karyn1
15 years ago

One of my NOID's looks to be a double but the first bloom is seriously deformed. There's lots of buds so I should be able to tell what it really looks like soon. Lots of other stuff blooming but everything became so overgrown during just the week that we were away. Vines especially went crazy to the point that I can't untangle them from other plants unless I want to cut them. All the dahlias were from seed planted in the spring. I was surprised at the variety from one batch of seeds.

Karyn

{{gwi:513381}}

{{gwi:513384}}

{{gwi:513386}}

{{gwi:513388}}

{{gwi:513390}}

{{gwi:513392}}

{{gwi:513395}}

{{gwi:513397}}

{{gwi:513398}}

{{gwi:513399}}

{{gwi:513400}}

{{gwi:513402}}

{{gwi:283287}}

{{gwi:513404}}

{{gwi:513405}}

{{gwi:513406}}

{{gwi:513407}}

{{gwi:513408}}

{{gwi:513410}}

{{gwi:513412}}

{{gwi:513414}}

{{gwi:513416}}

{{gwi:513418}}

{{gwi:513420}}

{{gwi:513422}}

{{gwi:513424}}

{{gwi:513426}}

{{gwi:513428}}

{{gwi:513429}}

{{gwi:513430}}

{{gwi:513431}}

{{gwi:513432}}

{{gwi:513433}}

{{gwi:513434}}

{{gwi:513435}}

Comments (17)

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, your noid brug looks like it could be something beautiful! What is that 6th pix from the bottom? Looks just like my orange cosmos, but could be a zinna or something else.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's an orange cosmos. They always end up getting pulled because I think it's a weed. The foliage looks so much like a common weed that grows here. I was bummed that I didn't pick my artichoke before it bloomed. This was the first year that they got buds and I wasn't sure when to cut them off but the bloom is pretty. It looks like a thistle on steroids. lol There's a few more small ones that I'll cut soon. I'd rather eat them then see them bloom.
    Karyn

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

Very pretty as always Karyn! That deformed brug looks like I feel today, lol.

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Wow, those are some pretty ones. I love the different looking dahlias. I had a black one that I so wanted to see bloom but the dang mealy bugs ate it too. What is in that pic that looks likes egg sacks or something? Maybe the deformed one will bloom straight next time.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"What is in that pic that looks likes egg sacks or something?"
    Which pic?
    Karyn

• napdognewfie
    15 years ago

Is 13th from the bottom Soybeans? How long do you cook them & do you freeze them? I planted some last year & the rabbits (in the yard again) ate them all. I didn't even get a single bean (sob).

Linda

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They are soybeans. I ended up salvaging 3 whole pods last season. It's like deer caviar. They knocked down a fence to get to them last year! I just boil them for about 20 min and snack on them. You can freeze them (in the pod) after boiling but I never get enough to store.
    Karyn

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    15 years ago

As always, lovely photos.. You got a nice lime on your kaffir-I love love the scent of those leaves! The other good foilage lime is persian lime -their leaves are really fragrant too. I like your ichroma too-pretty color.

I tried some artichokes here, people say they don't do well here and my look like cr@p lol. I could grow those for the flowers alone they are so pretty.
    We have a bunch of maters, beans and squash that are doing okay though.

• napdognewfie
    15 years ago

I am planning on growing them again next year. I want enough to freeze. This time there will be rabbit fence around the outside & some of that plastic fence over the top. I can't stop the bugs but I am also thinking of floating row covers next year too. The upside of them is that the rabbits & deer leave everything else alone & eat them first.

How hard are artichokes to grow? I don't eat them but the flowers are cool.

Linda

• rigo74
    15 years ago

Hey Karyn -What is the 5th plant from the bottom?

Looks like everyone is getting some really nice blooms of brugs and other plants as well.I always look forward to your post!

Rigo;0)

• WOODSGRANNY
    15 years ago

karyn,what's the name of 4th one down? and i want to know who in their right mind eats soybeans....yuk.kidding,everyones taste differ,they kinda look like a lima,but suuure don;t taste like one

• kasha77
    15 years ago

Karyn-
    Everything looks so wonderful! Just wondering, is that a White flowering butterfly ginger I see? I'm seeking to trade a Royal Poincianna tree seedling for one, if you have one to spare! Please LMK! I would love to try to post some of my photos too! I have them at photo bucket, now what do I do? I need a little help!
    Thanks!
    Kathy kasha77

• threas
    15 years ago

Everything is gorgeous as usual! That artichoke is beautiful. I love the hot pink gomphrena, made me wonder where mine is this year. I thought I planted some!LOL What is the var. foliage with the little white flowers, two pics after gomphrena?

Theresa

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Lol, it was the pic of the soybeans. Looks like something around the stems or maybe its my fuzzy eyes, lol.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The 5th from the bottom is a variegated Kiss Me Over The Garden Gate. They get to about 10' and are one of my favorites. I hate the standard one. It's a weed here and I'm constantly pulling it out of the yard. It's funny what a bit of variegation will do. A fellow gardener has a variegated Polkweed in her garden that's absolutely gorgeous and I can't stand the weedy type of that either. The 4th down is a hardy hibiscus. I think they are called Dinner Plate hibiscus because of their size. I have them in pink and yellow also. Kathy that's actually a mutant perennial sweet pea. It came from my plants that produce hot pink blooms. I love it and it tolerates the sun and heat very well. I do have white butterfly ginger and I might be dividing it in the fall. Catch up with me at the end of the season and I'll let you know. I already have a Royal Poincianna tree though. Maybe you'll have something else. The variegated foliage with the white blooms is a Clerodendrum Thomsoniae (Bleeding Heart Vine) A red center will develop in the flowers. Kristy I didn't see anything but my eyes aren't that great either. lol The artichokes were easy. I started them from seed last spring and was surprised that they made it through the winter. This is supposed to be a cold hardy variety but I'm not sure just how much cold it will take. It didn't do much of anything last season. I hope it survives this winter too.
    Karyn

• gardenpaw
    15 years ago

Karyn, beautiful as always!
    What is the 9th one from the bottom?
    Karen

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karen I'm not sure what it's called but I think it's some sort of annual hibiscus that reseeds like crazy. I'll save some seeds if you want them.
    Karyn