Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottagecindy

Need help on a rose climber

cottagecindy
11 years ago

Hi All. I'm a newbie here. (Been on the other forums for furniture, remodeling,etc) but now it's time to landscape....I live in Mt. View.

I have 2 posts in front on the small covered porch (5'x6') and I'd like to plant a rose climber up each post and meet in the middle (putting a pole/board across the middle top to keep rose off roof of porch)

I started with Cecile Brunner rose but it got black spot and rust on it. Tore it out, and started the painting of the house. I also bought the thornless Lady Banks White climber, but couldn't train it in time (the painting,weeks...) and it became a bloody bush and mess.

It's a tiny cottage, 30' across, and tiny porch is centered. house now is olive green, white trim/white vinyl windows and a new red/maroon door, also new pavers with a hint of red in them, not orangey red. (tan/red/charcoal calstone pavers (trying to give you guys an idea of the front)

Any ideas? I've had great luck with CB's in past at other location (Redwood Shores) and a neighbor has a CB across their entire garage on a mega heavy trellis-vine must be 10 yrs+) but I loved the idea of thornless and evergreen LB, but it bloomed once when I planted it, and then I messed up, didn;t train and became a mess. So dug it up (grew quite fast too) and ready to plant again. What about those red rose climbers? I only see CB and LB at the local nursery.

or should I wait till next spring to start over? I hate wasting all this $$ !!

Thanks for input! Cindy

Comments (6)