Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantonamara

my aloes

here are some of my aloes, not all. If I have any of the ID's wrong please tell me. many came without tags. I have left a question mark on the ones I am still unsure of. I try to collect plants that are very dissimilar in color and form. And I just love the winter colors that aloes take on. Most have already started to change out of them.

Aloe imalotensis var longeracemosa(?)

{{gwi:560534}}

Aloe aculeta

{{gwi:560535}}

Aloe variegata

{{gwi:560536}}

Aloe peglerae glowing in the sunset

{{gwi:560537}}

aloe aborescens

{{gwi:560538}}

Aloe cameroni and A. "fire Ranch"

{{gwi:560539}}

The slowest growing Aloe dorothea

{{gwi:560540}}

Aloe Capitata , Aloe Cameroni and A. peglerae and a never growing aloe broomlii in the corner

{{gwi:560541}}

Aloe capitata

{{gwi:560542}}

Aloe X spinosissima

{{gwi:560543}}

Aloe glauca and a possible aloe "crosby prolific"

{{gwi:560544}}

Gasteraloe 'Green Ice'

{{gwi:558054}}

Aloe nobiles

{{gwi:560545}}

Aloe ibitiensis(?)

{{gwi:560546}}

Comments (17)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

The 'never-growing' Aloe broomii looks like another Aloe peglerae, Mara. Your collection looks good - I've never seen a prettier A. capitata (which one is it v. capitata?), excepting those in flower. Nice collection, but where's your Aloe dichotoma - I thought you have a 3' one?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do not have a 3' A dichtoma.If anyone wants to give me one, I am game. I need a house to have that one, though. I am living in the office of my shop and these plants go into the finishing room on the wicked coldfronts.Maybe In a year. my house will be ready for habitation. I am working on a porch with a ROLL in capabilities to a 16' of double sliding doors. We just dried it in. Their is a roof over the porch so the light is not direct but , in Texas I can roll plants in for the bad stretches. The tiny plant in the lower right corner is not a peglarae but a broomlii.

The A. capitata is A c. var capitata I THINK. Yes , she has grown into a beauty but, alas, a never blooming beauty.Even though she is still my favorite. I am giving her some fertilizer this year to see if that makes a difference. I thought about buying another one to give her a sence of sibling rivalry.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous, thanks for sharing.

Annette

• xerophyte NYC
    11 years ago

Awesome colors!

x

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, I water them once a week. It got up to 109 this week but is back down to just under the century mark. It feels cool. I must be delirious. I am fighting the urge to up the watering to twice a week but it is so d@mn hot, I am worried that they have already gone into summer dormancy and I will be flirting with rot.

The two pictures of the Capitata are from last (second picture) summer to this. I am wondering why it has not lost it's winter colors. I am not complaining. Just wondering.

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

Great shot and some beautiful aloes, Mara. Thanks for posting.

• jeepman69
    11 years ago

Mara they all look great! The A. cameroni & A. ibitiensis are my favs of these you have posted. Nice colors.

Glenn

• nat_lia
    11 years ago

Love all of them, especially the variegated aloe/ Partridge Breast Aloe, G. Green Ice and Aloe ibitiensis.
    I saw the variegated aloe/ Partridge Breast Aloe at our local HD but didn't pick it up at that time.
    Went back the next day to buy it but it's gone already :( Thanks for sharing the pics :) They are all beautiful!

• linda_denman_island
    11 years ago

Your aloes are beautiful, Mara. The Aloe variegata is especially stunning - the pot/rock mulch is perfect.

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

That Aloe peglerae all aglow looks phenomenal. And the possible Aloe ibitiensis is stunning. Love the color of the Aloe glauca in contrast with the color of its teeth.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Lovely aloes, looking beautifully grown.

• chadec
    11 years ago

Love your aloes, especially the stressed ones. The redness is so beautiful.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

not Aloe ibitiensis.. that is Aloe deltoideodonta var. fallax... not sure how those originally became synonymous with Aloe ibitiensis, which is a much different looking aloe (more like Aloe erythrophylla). Very common error, and those plants are still, more often than not, sold as Aloe ibitiensis.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Izrddr, I was always insecure about that ID, It came to me as a possible A . ibitiensis, so I always put the "?" there. I guess I should go and change it on my flicker account. I have been using that as the way I keep track. I am always loosing tags. Do you agree with the ID of the first picture. That one came without an IS and I saw a very similar aloe on XW just the other day. Italways looked KINDA like A deltoideodonta but not quite. I always thought it was a hybrid and then I saw his and it seemed a good match. I am still just a wild guesser.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Could be A deltoideodonta, too... not sure how to tell those two apart, frankly...

• hijole
    11 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous, very nice collection you've put together, they must be the talk of the shop for sure, I love them all.

Greg

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is a WORKshop not, a retail shop, more of a studio. Only me in it so unless I start jabbering to myself, the talk is usually centered around work flubbery and is not printable on this forum.

Izrddr, I had it IDed as a A. deltoideodonta before. OH well. I love living in confusion.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022