Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenda_near_eno

WANTED: Raleigh Swap Wish List 2

brenda_near_eno
16 years ago

OK, so we're at 150 messages, and more than 6 weeks to go - who says we have a problem?

Tammy, The Japanese Roof Iris seeds I dropped in a pot a few days ago have already sprouted! So I'll bring you pot of seedlings, which should be a couple of inches tall by swap and blooming by next summer or one after that latest. They will sleep in pot with a little protection over winter and really put on growth in spring. I will have a couple of extra pots for swap as well.

Shari, I did find a rooted piece of Euphorbia 'Golden Turm', so I'll bring that for you.

Comments (150)

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Topher - I'd LOVE some Mexican Petunia (they are the purple ones, right?)!!! I'd also love Canna Bengal Tiger from your list. If you are interested in Calla lilies, I have some Picasso I'd be willing to trade... or check out my trade list.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trade List

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Tophersmith, I have Peruvian Daffodil and Curcurma 'Emperor' (it's blooming now) for a couple of your brugs (miami orange glow and shredded white brugs), if you're interested let me know. I just looked again and I'm interested in your Patio Peach, I have a variegated crinum I still haven't planted due to the drought,...interested?

• ratgirl
    16 years ago

Brenda -- I have Salvia elegans 'Golden Delicious' and a few seedlings of Salvia sclarea var. turkestanica alba (Clary 'Mojito'). Also may have seedlings of S. viscosa. Need to check around the garden. I am interested in your Hypericum 'Albury Purple'.

Carla B.

• tophersmith
    16 years ago

Magick, Is that the White with purple center? If so then yes I would be interested.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Topher - yeah... they are purple, deeply edged in creme & came from the Biltmore. I ordered them too late to plant this season (as far as I know). I have 4 rhizomes I can part with. Let me know if you want anything else for the Bengal Tiger Canna & Mexican Petunia. Thanx!!

• tamelask
    16 years ago

magick, i can get you a different type of ruellia(mexican petunias) if i can have one of those yummy callas.... the ruellia is med purple blue, upright to about 18", and has bronzy/olive green foiliage.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Oh... those would look great in front of the taller Ruellia! I'll put one aside for you - how can I not - you were so generous at the spring swap!!

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Want to make sure I haven't missed anyone, let me know if I've messed up on any of these. Thanks Everyone!!

Alicia - Wintersweet?, ferns, passamahaw, woodland phlox for phlox, BW cuttings, elephant ears/colocasia esculenta, Iris and Daylilies.

Brenda - rain lilies and lovechild for J beech fern and glads

Dana - Sw Autumn clematis for reedgrass

Jnhidden - boulders and spearmint for hibiscus AH, lemon balm and large fennel

Karen - Agastache rupestris/apricot and Salvia Christine Yeo for glads and ??

Magick - white beauty berry and Confederate jasmine/Star jasmine and Mickey Mouse EE for white butterflyginger and black stem EE.

Sally - upright dwarf EE for Hibiscus AH

Sharil - Iron Cross Oxalis for EE's and Daylilies

Tammy - coltsfoot, carolina jassmine (spring is fine), Jewelweed seed, for Black Stem EE, T. lady slipper, phlox, milk thistle seed, Fo-Ti.

Woodsworm - Atom Glads for crocosmia and phlox

• brenda_near_eno
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Carla, glad to hear from you! I would love the salvia babies. I have the Albury potted. Also some other stuff you might like rooting now - I'll call out when I see roots.

Catc, I have a tiarella seedling pot from "Iron Cross" for you. They resemble "Iron Butterfly", and I wonder if it wasn't Reba&Roses (where I first got it) way of getting around the registered name? Would love the holly.

Shari and Tammy, will dig sourwood this weekend. In the heat, I make no guarantees, but my garden is always so dry and clay-y, sometimes it seems like the most rugged and desperate-to-live plants are the only ones that make it anyway, so maybe I get a hardiest genetic selections? lol, anyone need new plant varieties tested for drought and poor-soil resistance? Send them to my place.

IS IT EVER GOING TO RAIN?

• tophersmith
    16 years ago

rootdiggernc
    did you get my email everything on your list looks good, why don't you drop by as I would need to cut the Brugs and they would need to go right into water asap.

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Tophersmith, I didn't get an email from you. Send it to jimtrek1@aol.com. I'd write you but you don't have one up.

• tophersmith
    16 years ago

magick
    Yes mine are the purple ones the plants I have are already over 12" tall and flowering, as far as the canna go I will need to take a close look at my upper garden as my 2 other gardens are infected with the canna virus (they still flower but the foliage is not quite as nice) You are more than welcome to come by and take a look. I am on the Holly springs rd. side of Cary Parway. I will give you directions if oyu want to come by.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Topher - You're not far from me then. I'm right off of 1010 Rd near Holly Springs Rd. I'd be happy to see your plants, unfortunately, I wouldn't know the difference between a sick canna and a thirsty one. If you think you have some that are not infected, I'd be more than happy to stop by. Just let me know.

• tophersmith
    16 years ago

MAGICK,
    ok give me a call 854 2666 ask for chris

• Jean Hidden
    16 years ago

Root,
    For rocks/boulders - do you only want really big rocks? I can only lift us to a certain size. Any specific size you are looking for? I was just guessing that you meant large rock but maybe that isnt a boulder :) I will definitely bring you spearmint. Hibiscus AH doesn't look like it is hardy(?), so I will skip that if so (dont have a greenhouse).
    You can bring whatever you think is fair - lemon balm and/or large fennel? Let me know what you think

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Topher - It was a crazy weekend! I'll get up with you sometime this week.

• tophersmith
    16 years ago

Magick

Ok sounds good I am home around 6:15 everynight

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Jean, I've read that this Hibiscus acetosella is not hardy but that it keeps real easy indoors. I'm going to try some indoors, under the house and maybe even in a glass of water. They root very easily. Any size rock is fine, PLEASE don't hurt yourself, it's not worth that!

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Brenda - I just noticed you asked about the Mickey Mouse - I don't have any extras right now, but if I find one in time for the swap, I'll put your name on it.

Here's what I still Have left:
    Gladiolus
    Red Cannas
    Wild Ginger
    Native Fern
    Yellow Bearded Iris
    Black & Blue Salvia
    Baptisia 'purple smoke'
    HUGE Blue Hydrangea
    White Beauty Berry Seedlings

Here is what I'm still looking for:
    Harry Lauder's Walking Stick
    Flame Azalea (any orange)
    Japanese Painted Fern
    White Creeping Phlox
    Arum italicum
    Joe Pye Weed
    Pussy Willow
    Witch Hazel

All pre-arranged trades are listed on my trade page.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Magic, what color glads do you have?

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Alicia - I know at least some are white. The others were planted in shade, by previous owners, and did not bloom.

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

Hi everyone, I didn't think I was going to be able to make this years swap - again, so I haven't been posting and bothering you all. But now, it seems I might be able to.

I have potted up a few Gardenias that I rooted from my bush this year.
    I've also got some Pink Obedient plant.
    Pink Canna.
    Yellow Canna.
    Red Canna.

I'll have to look around and see what else I can find.
    I like unusual things so if you've got something, let's trade.

Thanks,

Vickie

• haliwa01
    16 years ago

This is what I am looking for any of the following

Tree
    Scarlet Oak
    Willow Oak or Pin Oak
    Sassafras (Sassafras albidum)
    Carolina silverbell
    Possamhaw
    Sourwood
    Chinese Fringetree or Fringetree
    Large Fothergilla (Fothergilla Major)
    Serviceberry (Shadbush)
    Witch Hazel (Christmas Cheer)
    Sweet bay (Swamp Magnolia)
    Blackgum
    Red Maple (October Glory)
    Wild Olive/Deadwood
    Wax Myrtle
    Red Bud

Shrub
    Winterberry
    Sparkleberry
    Swamp rose
    Virginia rose
    Purple beautyberry or American beautyberry
    Swamp Rose
    Virginia Rose
    Leatherwood
    Sweet Betsy
    Purple or American Beautyberry
    Longwod Blue (Blue Mist Shrub)
    Oak-leaved hydrangea
    Spice bush
    Red Twig Dogwood or Bailey Red Twig Dogwood
    Highbush Blueberry

I have to trade the following so far:
    1 - Japanese Maple - Emperor
    2 - Japanese Maples - Tanukeyama
    Daylilies
    Hostas

Alicia, when can I get those trees from you?

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

I just discovered a small, grafted Japanses Maple - 'Waterfall' - that I have available for trade as well as the plants posted above.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

haliwa- i can dig some sweet betsy for you, a small seedling am.beautyberry, possibly a redbud(depends on rain), and can bring cuttings of an oakleaf hydrangea. could i get one of the the 'tanukeyama' from you in exchange?

i will have 2 or more perennial sweet peas to bring with me- any takers? if not, they'll go into the general pile.

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

haliwa01 - I have the purple beauty berry and Blue Mist shrub I can try to root for you for a Tanukeyama J. Maple,... or pick something else from my list?

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Magick, I'd love the Waterfall JM if I have anything else you would like?

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Haliwa, Are you going to the swap? I can bring the trees then. Do I owe you two white oaks? It seems to be there was something else, what was it? The oaks are very small (didn't grow any because of the drought, I put them in the ground this spring), but that may actually be an advantage because they'll transplant easier. This is what else I have:
    1 gallon Swamp rose
    what I believe is a small prairie rose (got seed from a GardenWeb swap)
    Possamhaw (Ilex decidua) They are this year's seedlings so I do not know the sex, but if I bring 4 you should end up with a male and a female.
    Wax myrtle
    Sourwood (very small seedling from this year)

Next year I'm going to try again to get leatherwood, winterberry and highbush blueberry from cuttings. I was not successful this year.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Root - I don't see anything else on your list :( Maybe you have something someone will trade for an orange azalea, Harry Lauder's Walking Stick, or Pussy Willow? Then we could trade that for the Waterfall?

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Haliwa - I have a small Red Bud if you still have some Hosta.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Tammy, I'd be interested in one of your perennial sweet peas.

Haliwa, I can try to dig a sucker of Carolina rose too if you're still interested. I tried this summer but it was just too hot. If anyone else is interested let me know.

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

If anyone wants some caryopteris I took some cuttings of it last night and more this morning. Trying some in soil and some in water. They should be ready by Oct, if not I'll hold them for spring.

Magick, I have pussy willow I can take cuttings from but not sure how long it will take to root and it would be a baby, so I understand, no worries.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Root - Babies would be fine!!! I just gotta keep myself somewhat on track for the plans I have for my gardens. My understanding is that willows of any kind root quickly. So I'll trade you the waterfall for some pussy willow cuttings. The tree is fairly small itself - a year old graft. Yippee!!

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

This morning was the first time in a while I've been out to take stock of things for the upcoming swap. Unfortunately the Passiflora lutea went dormant during the heat/drought so I won't be able to find it to dig until spring. Tammy and Jean, be sure to remind me to bring some at the next swap. Here's an updated list of trades:

Brenda  Salvias 'Betsy's Choice' and 'San Isidro Moon' For hardy fuschia, impatiens arguta 'Blue Dream'

Alicia ÂIris pallida, Salvias ÂGuanajuatoÂ, ÂChristine YeoÂ, ÂBetsyÂs ChoiceÂ, and Clitoria mariana For flame azalea seedling, old white iris, ebony spleenwort, lavender Stachytarpheta (still working on Guanajuato -- I had to start over on it because the first one rotted, then I had to go out of town emergently and when I came back a toad had buried itself in the perlite underneath the cutting. Scared the hell out of me when I went to test for roots and the whole pot started to move.)

Rootdigger ÂAgastache ÂShades of OrangeÂ, Salvia ÂChristine Yeo For purple glad (I would love to trade for Musa lasiocarpa too, if you still have any to share. Let me know what else I could add in exchange, I've got another cutting rooted from S. 'Betsy's Choice', which is also purple, and I've got Sinningia seillowii and tubiflora potted up. I could also dig up some Salvia puberala.)

Shari  Salvia regla 'Jaime', orange seedling of S. van houtteii 'Paul', Plectranthus saccatus For Salvia meyeri

Tammy  Salvia blepharophylla for Veilchenblau cutting and Baptisia tinctoria seed (The blepharophylla hasn't rooted yet, but is looking better with the cooler weather. Is there anything else you're looking for that I could bring in case it doesn't take? The gardening fates have made our trade lopsided in the other direction!)

Woodsworm  Gladiolus ÂBoone For tuberose

Jean  salvia 'Betsy's Choice' For quince

John -- ?? For ??red stachytarpheta cutting

Ralph  Clitoria mariana For Clitoria ternata (can't remember if we decided on this or not)

• rootdiggernc
    16 years ago

Karen, sure the mat is huge, so glad to get you a chinese banana,.... and the glad is pink not purple. I hope that's ok? I don't need anything else, I was hoping you would find something else you wanted. :)

Magic, Great! I will start a few this afternoon. I'll bring you at least 2 or 3 so we'll be sure to get you a good one.

• tamelask
    16 years ago

no worries, karen- that all works for me. hmmm- maybe 'betsy's choice' if it's hardy & root doesn't want it? otherwise, i'll just remind you about the passiflora come spring. i'll probably be raiding your general swap stuff anyhow- lol. too funny about the toad under the cutting. often as i go to move a flat i'll have 1, 2, or even 3 come flying out, alarmed at being hoisted in the air- and i never even knew they were in there, so they scare me good. little boogers dig under/into my potted plants often, but i don't think they've killed too many. fortunately i like the brats.
    speaking of, anyone need toads? we literally have thousands. there's a lake easement back behind our place and they come up after they turn to toads. at night our driveway has like 30 of them on it. seems like someone posted a yr or so ago that they didn't have any... i can help! :)

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Karen our swap is very lopsided. Would you be interested in Tinantia pringlei(PDN's version)? I picked it up at a swap last weekend but don't think I have a good spot for it. I could also bring a couple of cuttings from a Seven Sisters rose I got.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Shari, I'll pass on the Seven Sisters, but if you still have any Lobelia cardinalis or a pink Vitex seedling I'd be interested in either of those. You should keep the Tinantia, I've had it for years and it will grow just about anywhere, sun or shade, and is relatively drought tolerant. It seeds off in a local way, so the main limitation is to not place it next to anything small and less robust. It's one of my favorite ground covers.

Tammy, I'll add the Betsy's Choice to your list. I just got it this year, but according to Dufresne it's hardy in zone 7. Of course, spring or summer planting always helps with salvias, so you may want to protect it a little if you plant it out this fall.

Root, thanks for the Musa, I've been wanting that one for a while. And pink is fine.

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Karen I'd be happy to bring both the Vitex and Lobelia. Thank you for the tip on the Tinantia I probably would have brought it to the general swap.

• alicia7b
    16 years ago

Shari I'd be interested in a Seven Sisters cutting. Have I listed anything else you'd be interested in? I can look and see if I have a lespedeza that looks ready to divide.

• dogridge
    16 years ago

shari or karen- I am interested in the Tinantia if you can spare a piece. I have a part sun location that needs groundcover.

Things I have to trade:
    creeping raspberry
    akebia
    ajuga- Caitlins giant (I think)
    shasta daisy
    inky fingers coleous
    agastache- sunset series (medium plant)
    white phlox (david)
    cuttings of roses- Katy road pink (old fashioned), Climbing Eden
    purple heart
    thyme, oregano, garlic chives, rosemary
    boulders
    blue star creeper

Wants:
    nepeta
    peonies
    cleome seeds
    grasses
    vinca
    liriope
    sedums
    euphorbia

• tamelask
    16 years ago

dogridge- i can bring you cleome seeds. they are the old fashioned, tall purple or pink and white kind (buds are colored, and open to white flowers). they have spines, so beware! let me know if you're interested. i can also bring some sedums- whatcha looking for? i have gobs of s. tectrinum (chinese sedum- bronzey paddle shaped), some lineolarum, lots of acre (i think- the chartreuse pointy one), some 'angelina', a little 'ogon' and lots of small bits of misc. ones. i'd love some blue star if you have some to spare- trying to get enough to do part of a path. or the sunset series agastache- i can use that in my plot.

• karen__w z7 NC
    16 years ago

Dogridge, I was planning on bringing Tinantia for the general swap and can put your name on some. I can bring Euphorbia characias seedlings, too, and Pennisetum 'Moudry'. If you're looking for different euphorbias or grasses let me know and I'll see what I have. I'd be interested in phlox David, blue star creeper and garlic chives.

• shari1332
    16 years ago

Alicia, I'll trade you the Seven Sisters cuttings for one of your single flower gardenia seedlings.

Dogridge, I have Eragrostis elliottii- blue love grass and sedums- spectabile, Purple Emperor, and mediovariegatum if you're interested. Would love some rosemary and 'David' phlox.

• dogridge
    16 years ago

shari, karen and tam- deal on the trades.

Trades so far:
    Shari- rosemary and phlox 'david' for blue love grass, sedum 'Purple emporer'

Karen w- phlox david, blue star creeper and garlic chives for tinantia, euphorbia characias and 'Moudry' grass

tam- bluestar and agastache for cleome seeds and chines sedum and vinca. Do you want me to bring a boulder to the swap? I can load a pretty big one into our truck, but not sure how to load it into your vehicle.

jean- rue for variegated vinca

alicia- white iris x 2 for baptisia and Panicium virgatum.

I also have plenty of white iris and several nice new terracotta pots to trade.

• Hollyclyff
    16 years ago

Karen, I'd like to try some tinantia too if you have enough.
    Dana

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some thalictrum, Meadow Rue. Does anyone have any to trade?
    Thanks,
    Vickie

• dtpforu
    16 years ago

More things I'm looking for:

Paris polyphylla
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Dietes bicolor - Fortnight Lily
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Dianella caerulea - Flax Lily
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Remusatia pumila
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Chasmanthe bicolor
    - - - - - - - - -
    Chasmanthe floribunda
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Cautleya gracilis
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Heliconia rostrata
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Haloragis erecta
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Impatiens niamniamensis - Congo Cockatoo

Thanks,

Vickie

• tamelask
    16 years ago

vicky- i don't want to dig up any of my plants, but they have lots of seed set and i could bring that for you. the lady i got mine from had lots of seedlings, so i presume they seed fairly easily. mine just haven't reseeded around much yet.

dogridge- sounds great. we can get the boulder either in our van or pete can run home & grab the truck if need be- we live close to this swap.

karen- the betsy's choice sounds great. i can overwinter it in the cool greenhouse and get it in the ground come spring if you think that would be wiser. unless we get rain, i doubt i'd out it in the ground anyhow. i lost too many newly planted things to the drought this year.

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

Vicky - I was looking at your list and noticed you are looking for Juncus effusus Unicorn. I have some that I can bring for you. I was surprised how well it has stood up this summer.

Sponsored