Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carnivoor

sarracenia update

carnivoor
15 years ago

When I bought this Sarracenia(no other name on the tag) at the end of march it was this nice green

{{gwi:554546}}

now two and a half months later the nice green is gone and it looks like this

{{gwi:554547}}

I hope to have a nice green sarr again in a few years when (and if) my Sarracenia flava "maxima" seeds have grown(unless they turn red too)

Comments (5)

• mutant_hybrid
    15 years ago

Carnivoor,

The red coloration is normal on many Sarracenia species. Congratulations on getting it enough light that it can develop the nice reds and look like the S. leucophylla it is supposed to be. S. flava typically is lighter colored and is called the yellow pitcher plant... it will stay a yellowish green color. "Nice green" is not the best color for many carnivorous plants as they often use reds and purples to attract insects.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

They look GREAT! Congrats!

• carnivoor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know they turn red in the sun(most anyway) but I kind of liked the green in contrast with my purpurea. Turns out my "green" plant has become a darker red than my purprurea (except for the windows). They are both healty and munching away on bugs (I fear for some of my pitchers because of all the bugs in them)
    The sun doesn't seem to be a problem (they are on a south wall,full sun from noon on). My greatest worry will be to keep them alive this winter(first time) although it doesn't usually go very far below zero here.

• boglodyte
    15 years ago

Maybe you should get a Schnell's Ghost. It is a variant of S. leucophylla that has no color pigment, thus staying green all the time. There are other Sarracenia species with this trait as well. They are called anthocyanin-free.

• carnivoor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tip. But for now I'll wait what my flava seeds will do. If they do well I might end up with several greenish plants .
    Also ,I have another bag of mixed seeds in the fridge (from 7 different parents but all standing outside in a bog ,therefor most likely in all kind of mixes)including S. x moorei and S. x catesbyi so I might get some green ones from that too.