Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kakozord

removing vft catches?

kakozord
18 years ago

I keep a VFT in my room on a windowsill but it has recently reopened several traps to display last weeks dinner which is less than pretty!

{{gwi:560526}}

Sitting on the trigger hairs.

{{gwi:560527}}

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can remove the dead insects without triggering the traps to shut?

Thanks

Kyle

Comments (10)

• zbawic
    18 years ago

I faced this problem a few days ago. I used some tweezers and pulled the carcass out. I was surprised that the trap didn't close even though it was stuck in there quite well. I'm not sure why it didn't.

• Nevermore44 - 6a
    18 years ago

You can try wetting it a bit first... then using a spray bottle and squirt it out.

Or just sit it outside when it rains next...

Or just pretend you are playing that kids game... operation...

• kakozord
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL sounds like this could be fun :D

I'll try the tweezers method and if that closes the trap, I'll use a spray bottle.

Cheers for the suggestions

Kyle

• clay_in_iowa
    18 years ago

I never woory about it but then again mine are outside. The traps almost always get a second meal, usually a spider messing with the carcus of the last meal.

Oh and everyone seems to be letting this one go ... Damn nice looking VFTs there mate. Keep doing what you're doing they seem to love it.

• kakozord
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Clay_in_Iowa you've brought a smile to my face. :)

I have some outside and that is no prob when they show off their last meals but when they're in the house, I have to keep em looking nice or my parents will complain.

Anyway, I decided to try the spray bottle method first because I couldn't find any tweezers - It was most inaccurate and I ended up soaking the plant and closing several traps (WOOOPS!)

I'll buy myself some tweezers and use them in future. Even if it shuts the trap at least it'll be shutting only one trap.

I have one VFT that always makes me laugh. It has a smallish trap inside a really big trap and everytime something lands on the small trap, it triggers a chain reaction resulting in the trap eating the fly followed by the bigger trap trying to eat the smaller trap.

Thanks

Kyle

• lleopardggecko
    18 years ago

Dang, that is one beautiful Venus Flytrap! How old is it? And what kind of sun does it get on your windowsill?

• kakozord
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I rescued it from a garden centre about two or three weeks ago and kept it on an east facing windowsill to harden off for a week before putting it in my garden where it got full sun for a while.

About three days ago I decided to bring it into the house and have kept it on a west-facing windowsill with hot afternoon sun.

Since then it seems to have grown like mad with no complaints about the climate change at all.

All this time, I have kept it standing in about an inch of rainwater that I collected in a bucket placed under a heavy drip from my roof whenever it rains.

This is really my first time with VFTs but I made sure I read everything about them before I bought two and it seems to have worked.

Thanks for your kind comments

Kyle

• necro1234
    18 years ago

Ye

I use tweezers myself, I have about a 90 to 10 accurancy rating, I just get the tweezer on and give a good tug, normally the flytrap does not even notice it.

Nice plant btw

Cheers

Sheldon

• kakozord
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Sheldon

Wow weather here in England faired up in the afternoon and I put all my CPs in the garden. This big VFT caught 4 fat flies in under half an hour! It's sure gonna get big at that rate.

Anyway I'll let you guys know how I get on once I get a pair of tweezers.

• kakozord
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well I found some tweezers.

I got about six flies out of traps with them but I shut at least half of these traps so I hope this wont weaken the plant too much. LOL it nearly ate my tweezers once.

I think I will just leave the dead insects to sit in the trap in future. It just aint worth hurting the plant. Nevertheless, thanks for all your ideas.

Cheers

Kyle

Sponsored