Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
durhamgardener1310

Imperial Star Artichoke?

durhamgardener1310
15 years ago

I am trying to grow Artichokes for the first time, using Imperial Star Artichoke seeds which are supposed to produce in the first year and require only 500 hours of temperatures below 50 degrees. However, some of the growing information I've found is confusing - some suggest that the seeds need to be cold stratified while others suggest that the seeds should be sprouted (soil at least 70 degrees, so inside at this point) and then the sprouted plant will need to be exposed to early spring temps but not a hard frost (so keep in a container).

My question is - does anyone have any experience growing this variety? I have some seeds outside in containers and some inside. The inside ones are starting to sprout and need to either get under a light inside or be put outside. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (5)

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

In my experience the cold treatment of the seedlings or even young plants never tricked them into fruiting (blooming) the first year. I've always had to wait til the second or third year to get 'chokes'.

It works best to sow the seeds late in the summer after all the really hot weather has passed and pray for a cool fall. You have to baby the young plants through winter - either hoop them with frost cloth or use wall-o-water devices and then pray for a mild winter. They seem to handle temps down to the high twenties just fine but really cold nights can do them in.

They do fine grown in pots (large ones) and being transplanted. In fact, they handle all sorts of torture and rebound just fine but the main roots of the plant have to be in place for many months in order for it to send up bloom spikes.

In my garden I have never gotten large 'chokes', only about the size of a lemon - which is fine by me, I snip them, drop them into the microwave, blast them for 4 minutes on high, whip up some fresh garlic and mayo and then pig out.

I quit sowing my own seeds when I discovered that Campbell Road Nursery in south Raleigh pretty much always has them available in the late summer. Usually Green Globe and Imperial Star in gallons for around $4 or $5.

• durhamgardener1310
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! That is very helpful. I guess I will just experiment with these seedlings and then re-sow some seeds late summer for the next year. I'll let you know what happens!

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

To get the biggest crop (size and quantity) you need the root mass to get as big as possible. That is much easier to do if you leave the plants in one place, but you can grow them in pots and just keep moving them up into larger and larger pots as you go. Last year mine bloomed while still small and all I got was tiny chokes.

In the overall scheme of things they take up a lot of space in the garden and don't give you a lot of food in return - but they are pretty plants and the flavor is superior when home grown (eat them immediately after picking or else they will taste just like store bought).

• durhamgardener1310
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Do you think a half-barrel planter would be big enough for the roots of one plant? Otherwise, I'll find a spot in the ground... Thanks again!

• ridepaints_hughes_net
    12 years ago

I am trying Imperial star for the first time in Indiana. I started the seeds indoors in January. The plants had a hard time getting started, I lost about half. I put them outside in a cold frame so they could get their 10 days of 40 degrees. They seem to really like that. It is June now and they have be planted for two months and sure enough, here comes the chokes!! Now if I can wait until they are mature before I pick them.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals