Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claritamaria

Unruly Sundew

claritamaria
16 years ago

My new multifork is growing like crazy. It needs a plant hoop but it is only in a 3" pot. Its growing in all directions and is in danger of getting bent. Any suggestions? Thanks

Clara

Comments (6)

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

In the book called Savage Garden there is a picture of a very dense forked sundew. I think it's in a hanging basket. They just grow all over the place.I don't have a current picture but one of mine is in a bucket and the leaves hang down over the sides. Here's the younger version of that plant:

{{gwi:430410}}

They also propogate easily from leaf cuttings!

• hunterkiller03
    16 years ago

With D. binata dichotoma and multifida, I donÂt think thereÂs no going around the problem of the leaves flopping down. IÂve visited Peter DÂAmatos nursery last year and he has his binatas on hanging baskets simply because they grow all over and the weight of the traps plus the weight of the insects that get caught is simply too much for the petioles.

This is my regular D. binata var. binata, the simple "T" form and already is a tangled mass and is overcrowding my shelf in the room.
    {{gwi:563000}}
    {{gwi:563001}}

Some of the leaves are starting to bend over my other plants.
    {{gwi:563002}}
    {{gwi:563003}}

D. binata, no matter the variety is still a large plant, but boy is it a killer. You shouldÂa seen it how it was covered with flies, gnats, and mosquitoes early this summer. It was impressive, shouldÂve taken a picture but I didnÂt. :-p

That's why binatas sometimes makes good hang-baskets plants.

• claritamaria
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! I made a little hoop for it. (try to post some pics later) I have the same problem but its winding around my orchids. When I pull the orchids to water, the poor thing is getting yanked. This plant is rather new. Been giving it really good light. (42 w cfl and a WSW window) It hasn't eaten yet. Its sticky. Plenty to munch on in my place. I'm dying to see it eat :-) It's in spike too.

What is the red Nep in your photo hunter killer? That photo and the plants, nice!

Clara
    Enjoying yet another addiction

• hunterkiller03
    16 years ago

The little nep is a plant I saved from Lowes from the infamous "cubes of death". It looks like it is N. ventricosa but not really sure. It could also be N. ventrata, a hybrid between ventricosa & alata. IÂll know soon enough when it grows a little bigger.

I got it cheap because the plant looked like it was on its last leg but I saved it and happy that I did. I like the vibrant red color on its little urns.

• claritamaria
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't know why I didn't think of it before I posted but that's what the forum is for! I made little hoops for the sundews so they won't get hurt

Clara
    {{gwi:563004}}

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

That's a good idea!

Sponsored