Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lzrddr

Few shots of the July yard

lzrddr
13 years ago

Went around taking a few shots of how things looked today.

Agave attenuata variegated trimmed up (this thing is nasty)

{{gwi:580072}}

Yucca gloriosa variegated needing to have suckers hacked off for about the 10th time

{{gwi:580075}}

Euphorbia obesa somehow managing to survive it's 7th year outdoors on the shed roof

{{gwi:580078}}

bleached out Echeveria subrigida sending up a few flowers

{{gwi:580081}}

Aloe pillansii probably getting too much water

{{gwi:580084}}

Agaves out front

{{gwi:580086}}

Hoya ovata in flower

{{gwi:580088}}

Euphorbia tetragona

{{gwi:580090}}

Cyphostemma sp... supposedly not juttae, but sure looks like it

{{gwi:580092}}

Some of the bigger aloes out front

{{gwi:580095}}

Aloe rupestris with annoying suckers

{{gwi:580098}}

Shot of the succulents lining walkway

{{gwi:580101}}

Comments (26)

• TT, zone 5b MA
    13 years ago

Now that was a treat! Thanks!

Not sure if that is juttae though. Leaves seem small for it.

T

• succulentfan
    13 years ago

Great shots! Sure looks like some happy plants!

• notolover
    13 years ago

Thanks for a great start to my day! Lovely garden and it looks like a lot of work.

DZ

• caudex1
    13 years ago

That is difinetly juttae, leaves are just not mature yet.

I got a pillansii with similar leaves a few years ago, it was grown under 50% shade cloth. Here it is in full sun and getting its characteristic shape back, in a couple of years the long narrow leaves will be gone.

• romain
    13 years ago

Now you made me want to move back to California.

Great shots and nice walkway!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    13 years ago

Lzddr,

Yep, nice shots - that Euphorbia's new growth is very pretty.

I bet you don't get too many solicitors/proselytizers with a walkway like that. Smart, very smart.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

What a beautiful garden, those blue are intense, I'm impressed. Norma

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Very nice July yarden! ;)
    Isn't that Hoya obovata? Mine's finally blooming, too...

Josh

• User
    13 years ago

I feel very inadequate now.. . :-) Beautiful photos and gorgeous garden!

What on earth is the tall fellow behind the aloe pillansii in Photo 5?? And is electric blue a normal color for it?

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

OMG..

First of all I would never want to walk around your yard at night!..lol

I LOVE that blue cactus..Goergous!

Those agave...Remarkable!!!!!

Everything is just so beautiful..Thank you for showing us..I wish I could live where you live..What state do you live in????

Mike

• Marie Tran
    13 years ago

lzrddr, your garden is full and beautiful. You cacti look healthy. Thank you for sharing the photos.
    I love the one in 4th picture.
    Marie

• blutarski
    13 years ago

I'll second you on the nastiness of the a. attenuata. i think they need blood for micronutrients- mine lances me every chance it gets.

• plant_junkie
    13 years ago

Incredible! That is just amazing. Thank you for sharing this. I am too, also wondering about that bright blue cactus. What is its name? I must have one :)

Steve

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

You have so many great palms and cactus,
    I see so many of my favorites and ones I used to grow when I had my cactus collection.

Thanks,that was a nice treat!

• hadrian
    13 years ago

hey lzrddr,

great shots! thanks for sharing. i've been looking for an Aloe pillansii, but can never seem to find one...that is reasonably affordable.

i had a question about the Agave attenuata: i thought Agave attenuata was supposed to be soft? isn't it the one whose common name is Foxtail Agave? I have the A. Kara's Stripes and they are soft and have no teeth. the one in your pic looks like what i bought from Home Depot labled Agave angustofolia variegata.

thanks,

Bri.

13 years ago

Bri,

That's what Lzddr has - I had a variegated one, too, and shed more than a little blood on it.

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am so sorry for the screwups in the names... getting old and sloppy. That agave in the first photo is indeed A angustifolia, not attenuata... I just mix the names up when I am having a senior moment (most of the time now). And the Hoya is indeed obovata, not ovata. Sorry about that. Here are some more shots, but not all from this week

{{gwi:580103}}

{{gwi:580105}}

Huernia species blooming nicely
    {{gwi:580108}}

Pachypodium lealii
    {{gwi:580111}}

Crassula unknown
    {{gwi:580114}}

Crassula Springtime (odd name as it blooms all year round, best in the winter, not the spring)
    {{gwi:580117}}

Sempervivum collection, that sadly, just was not a good one for my climate... this is how pot looked in June, but by August, 90% dead.
    {{gwi:580120}}

Euphorbia group pot
    {{gwi:580124}}

Echeveria group pot
    {{gwi:580128}}

Bowieas (started out as a split 'rock'... now a pile of boulders)
    {{gwi:580132}}

Nice Kalanchoe
    {{gwi:580136}}

Pseudobombax new leaves
    {{gwi:580140}}

Graptoveria Fred Ives, one of the easiest and most prolific plants I have ever grown... almost a weed
    {{gwi:580143}}

one of the wive's creations
    {{gwi:580145}}

One of my favorite vines... Xeriscyos danguinii (aka Silver Dollar Plant)
    {{gwi:580151}}

• lady_ee
    13 years ago

Very Cool! I would just love to have a nosy around your garden pitty I live in NZ! It looks amazing! Great Job :)

• beachplant
    13 years ago

Totally awesome!
    So what is the blue cactus? I simply MUST have one LOL!
    I'm pretty sure agaves need blood to thrive. I swear they move closer to the paths when you're in the garden so they can stab you.
    Tally HO!

13 years ago

Blue cactus - it's likely a Pilsocereus, but it could have other names. However, the Pilosocereus genus is known to have many, many, blue members and, outside of habitat (if even there!) I cannot imagine Lzddr's plant looking better than it does right now.

That Pachypodium (is it P.lealii v. saundersii?) is awesome!

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, var. saundersii has white flowers and shiny leaves. I have several of those, too, but this one is a bit harder to find. Pilosocereus are pachycladus (aka azureus), though I have a few other species as well.. blue cacti are cool, but tend to be among the wimpier, most cold sensitive cacti.

• citosa
    13 years ago

Beautiful plantings. I really like the Sempervivum and Echeveria collections: simple yet eye catching with its great use of colour.

What is the plant with the mutant leaves in the second photo of the second batch of pics? It's very pretty in its own weird way.

• caudex1
    13 years ago

The Pachypodium is a hybrid of succuletnum and namaquanum, a very nice one.

13 years ago

Citosa,

It's an Echeveria, and there are a number of the species with other-than-normally-formed leaves. The one pictured is relatively mild in comparison with the carunculations (sp?) of some of the more wild child members of this group of plants.

Lzddr,

Do you have any Pachys in the ground? I was curious how a P. namaquanum or P. horomboense would grow for you.

• lzrddr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pachy namaquanum is marginal here, but does OK in the right, sunny spot and sandy soil (most people's eventually rot do to improper soil or sun placement, or during a freak cold snap). No one I know is trying horombense in my area (zone 9b) but down towards San Diego in zones 10a and '10b' (10a with some microclimate plusses) can grow nearly all the Pachypodiums outdoors in the ground.

in Simi Valley (basically my climate)
    {{gwi:580154}}

In Santa Barbara (north of me, but a better climate since coastal)
    {{gwi:580156}}

In San Diego county where everything grows... sigh
    {{gwi:580159}}

13 years ago

Geez, those are some P. n.s! Thanks very much for posting them. That Pachy forest in #2 must have been awesome to behold.