Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spazzycat_1

Blooms totally out of sync this season

spazzycat_1
13 years ago

Am I the only one that has noticed this strange phenomenon? The Solidago 'Goldkind', which typically blooms in July, is starting to bloom, Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm', which typically blooms in August, is sending up flowers, and so on. I guess it is due to the combination of a consistently cold winter and a warm Spring. It sure is strange though. I wonder what will be blooming in August this year?

Comments (9)

• lindakimy
    13 years ago

Yes, I've also wondered what will be left for July and August. On the other hand...my day lilies usually bloom well before the black eyed susies but they are only barely getting started. The lantanas seem a bit slow, too.

I have no explanation. I've just decided to enjoy whatever happens. This is the first year that ALL my hydrangeas have grown like crazy and bloomed all over. Even the gardenia planted by the previous owner is about to bloom. Interesting....

• aezarien
    13 years ago

My Spring plants were sad bloomers this year, including my dogwood which generally puts on a grand show. Usually it is full of blooms but I think I could have counted the blooms this year on my fingers. The only exception were my scraggly looking azalea. My Summer plants are growing and blooming like crazy though.

It seems like it got hot real quick.. like we skipped over Spring almost completely and with all the rain it is super humid outside even when it is dry for days. It feels like stepping into a sauna when I go out my back door.

This is my fourth season at this house and a lot of my perennials were put in the ground the second season. I've just been chalking it up to the whole sleep, creep, leap thing.

• nonews
    13 years ago

But I love how full of buds and blooms all the hydrangeas are. One that was back in the deep shade has never bloomed, but it has a number of blossoms coming. I planted a tiny start of 'Lady in Red' hydrangea, that has struggles for years and this year it is blooming. I'll take it!

• DYH
    13 years ago

Yes.. my iris ensata are blooming (a month early).

My coneflowers are blooming ahead of their companion bee balm. Messes up my combination!

There are others, too.

• transplanted2scin07
    13 years ago

So I'm not the only one who noticed! I have fall blooming Aster that is blooming now and it's only June 1st. Other plants are off, too. Weird weird weird.

• tamelask
    13 years ago

Mine have been all over the place, too. Kind of fun in a way.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    13 years ago

Is it odd for crape myrtles to be blooming in late May? Seems odd if I compare it to seeing them on our first trip here in 1984 and they were blooming in August.
    Course, we went from 7b to 8a according to the hort. weather maps so guess that explains it.

• DYH
    13 years ago

It seems like ALMOST EVERYTHING in my garden has decided to bloom this week. I don't usually have peak summer bloom until mid-July. At least the August bloomers still look normal.

• rootdiggernc
    13 years ago

Same thing here, it's just too weird seeing toad lilies blooming in May/June!