Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairweather_gw

Borage - is it really blue?

fairweather
18 years ago

I bought Borage seeds to sow. Is it really blue? Is it floppy? What would you plant with it?

Comments (7)

• rain1950
    18 years ago

Tomato, strawberry, fruit orchards

Repels tomato worms. Adds potassium, calcium and other minerals to soil. Attracts honeybees.

Here is a link that might be useful: The rest of the story

• marricgardens
    18 years ago

I planted one in my garden several years ago. It grew about 4' tall, had fuzzy stems and leaves. The star shaped flowers on mine were crystal blue but I've seen pink ones. Marg

• tsusan
    18 years ago

I find that the blossoms start out pink when they unfold but within hours, as the sun hits them, they turn deep blue. Probably can emphasize the color with slightly more acid soil, but I haven't found that necessary. Poor soil is fine. Deer like to nibble them though when young, I've found!

• tetrazzini
    18 years ago

yes, they're the most beautiful blue flowers and they're edible. less often they are pinkish. my plants have never been taller than a foot or two. and they reseed easily.

• mmqchdygg
    18 years ago

These winter-sowed wonderfully for me...repels tomato horn-worms, eh? These are SO going in the veggie patch! Thanks for the tip!

• vjc_in_maine
    18 years ago

Borage has very beautiful blue flowers. HOWEVER. My experience has been that it reseeds EXTREMELY VORACIOUSLY, and it is very vigorous. It will take over a fairly large space if given a chance. The first year I planted a large number of seeds, unaware of its habits, and it happily reseeded itself throughout the rest of the garden. I had to yank out gazillions of little borage plants a couple months later, before they could take over. Which I hated to do... but found it necessary, or else THEY MIGHT TAKE OVER THE WORLD. (HEH HEH) Which would however be much nicer than some of the other plant enemies I've had to deal with in my yard.

Now I plant 2 or 3 plants, because they are quite beautiful and bees love them, but I keep an eye on them and try to not let them reproduce themselves uncontrollably.

• mommyandme
    17 years ago

On the other hand, I who have a no-till garden, find that if I don't save seed, I won't have any borage because the self-sown seed doesn't make it through the winter mulch of leaves and grass. Even in years when I was short of mulch, only a few volunteers would survive. I have never felt threatened by borage. Teasel & tansy are another story. They will take over the world some day.

Sponsored