Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

How to guess a companion plant?

homey_bird
16 years ago

Hello all,

While more common companion plant pairs are fairly well known (such as basil/tomato), one might want to grow exotic plants alongwith probable companions. For example, I have some potted exotics (they are edibles) and I would like to make use of the giant pot and huge mass of soil for something else as well. Yet, I could not find sufficient info on companions when I searched on the internet.

Therefore, I am now wondering if companions are simply "known" based on empirical data or is there a set of guidelines for what type of plants can co-exist peacefully? In the absence of ready information, I would like to have the guidelines to help myself choose a good companion to my plants.

Comments (3)

• prairiegirlz5
    16 years ago

What do you have? I'm pretty new to edibles myself, but have always went for the "spiller, thriller and filler" philosophy when doing a container. In other words, plants that spill over and soften the edges, trailing plants combined with something really eye-catching and "special" and plants that fill in and contrast in foliage and bloom color around them.

• booberry85
    16 years ago

I think generally, opposites attract. Plant something fast growing with something slow grow; something with deep roots next to something with shallow roots; something that for example needs lots of nitrogen with something that is nitrogen fixing and so for. This way the plants are never fighting for the same nutrients at the same time.

• Aubergine Texiana
    15 years ago

It's far more complex than speed. in some guilds like the 3 sisters (corn, squash, beans), the beans fix nitrogen, the squash makes an enzyme and the corn provides shade and support) or something like that, that's not exactly right but that's along the lines of it.

google "guild plants" and "companion plants"

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals