Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Cuttings that wouldn't root

I purchased a cutting of Pink Perfection (Pink Perfektion) from eBay. When I received the package in late September, the cutting was quite dry and slightly withered. A second "free" cutting of another variety that was also included in the box was also dry and withered. Both cuttings were wrapped in a damp paper, plastic and tape at the base.

As prescribed by the seller, I tried rooting them in water. I changed the water daily as it smelled terrible and I was afraid rot was setting in. Two weeks ago I moved them to potting soil as a last result. Still nothing. No roots, no leaves, no growth. Both sticks have withered even further.

By coincidence, both the seller and I live in Jacksonville, Florida. So these cuttings are in the same environment from which they came. (But I did not go to the seller's home - the cuttings were shipped to me as the seller said that she did not allow pickups.)

So here's my question: how long can cuttings sit and/or how dried out can cuttings get and still root? I have a feeling the seller had these cuttings for quite a long time before I made my purchase. I have rooted plenty of green, firm cuttings in my day. But these were brown with wrinkled "skin".

And yes, I have been communicating (lack of) progress with the seller.

Thanks for help or opinions!

Carol

Comments (4)