Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pandanwaffles

2 new succulents - when to repot?

pandanwaffles
9 years ago

Hello everyone! I just bought these cute little guys today and was wondering when would be best to repot them? I heard some people repot upon buying new plants, but others say it's best to do it during a certain time in its growth cycle? The problem is, I don't know when their growth cycles are, or if their cycles are different because they're different plants. It says the one of the left is a kalanchoe panamensis, and the one of the right is a golden sedum/sedum adolphii.

Thanks again for all the help!

Comments (10)

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

The IDs sound just right or super close. I repotted most of my plants as I bought them from store, and since now it's still summer I don't think it would hurt for you to do that too. But it might be ok if you wait till next spring for the repotting as well. Most people here might suggest repotting sooner than later though, because of the soil. Nice plants, have fun!

• pandanwaffles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply! I plan to repot them tomorrow morning. Now I have another question...would it be okay to repot in the same little containers they're in, or should I buy slightly bigger ones? My mom always says that when you repot, it should be in something an inch bigger than what it used to be in, but I don't know if that applies to succulents.

Also, would I really be doing the plants a huge disservice by repotting them in a 50/50 cacti succulent potting mix and perlite mix for the time being? I already have these ingredients at home.

Aaaand how often is one supposed to repot their succulents? Sorry for all the beginners questions, I'm still learning!

• brodyjames_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Panda,

I would put them in a slightly bigger pot, since you're changing the soil anyway. You mom was right and you can even go up to 2 inches bigger.
    Your 50/50 mix is ok until you can get something better, even if it's not for months. Don't water your plants for about 5 days after you repot them, and when you do water, make sure you water until you see it coming out the bottom of the pot.
    As to when to repot...that's really a play-it-by-ear kind of thing which you will learn as you go; can't really say "every 2 years", because every plant's growth is different.

Hope this helps a little.

Nancy

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I do not like the peat that they come in so I always repot when I buy them. Also, it is one way that I keep bugs from other nurseries from entering my digs. I will use a gentle hose to get the soil out of the roots and then I let the roots callus before I replant if the soil is stubborn about getting out of the roots. 50' 50 mix is a good start.

enter gritty mix in the search bar and read away.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 20:11

• pandanwaffles
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the info you guys have given me. How long do you let your roots callus over before replanting them? I accidentally broke off a few when trying to get all the soil off. It can be quite difficult with how frail their little roots are!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

3 days and then I do not water the plants for another few days.

• agate9 Kean
    9 years ago

Hey guys!

I recently just repotted my own succulents. Most of them are about 2"-3" tall, and I planted them in a 5" pot, in 50/50 mix of cacti potting soil and perlite. Should they be okay? I know the big bag mixes aren't the best, but I don't have much room to store all of the ingredients.

(I hope you guys see this, the thread hasn't been active in a while!)

• becks3282
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Agate9 I just saw your post and was wondering how your plants did? Im havong the same problem w storing space for ingredients and planted mine in same as yours we even have the same little cactus! Lol. Would love an update it has been a while since you posted also :-) thanks!

• becks3282
    8 years ago

That's awesome! Thanks for the update!