Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mushibu10

Lithops, care

mushibu10
9 years ago

So I have been reading online it's now I reduce watering. And it's now thw flower is due. Can you add anything?

Comments (7)

• bouldergrower
    9 years ago

This is a fairly good culture sheet for lithops:

http://www.lithops.info/

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

If it hasn't flowered yet you don't necessarily have to reduce watering until it does, your Lithops look like they are at least 3-4 years old so they should flower if previous grower didn't do something horribly wrong. But in general, don't water if they are turgid and hard to touch (yours sure look like they don't need any water right now). I usually only water when they are a bit soft to touch or showing wrinkles. After flowering is when you should really reduce water, and when they start to split and regenerate new leaves, you stop watering once and for all until spring when the old leaves are completely dried out.

Basically that's the idea, but yea the more you read the more you get to know them well! Have fun with your L. aucampiae :)

• mushibu10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both.

I was aware that to not water unless looking like shriveling or soft. I once read water to wash the dust away.

It was from a garden centre. (Whitehall, in Lacock.)
    So it's it's not flowered yet it will.
    I was going to get some more and plant them together in a terracotta pot with sharp sand. Different types. Is this okay?

When I was looking closer at it I spotted a but of corking has it been over watered? (ive not watered it yet. Wasn't going to as I didn't know when they watered it last.)

What makes you think they're 3-4 years old?
    Thank you

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Yes, I noticed that from the first picture, that mark would be created by overwatering split, but it will be corrected by regeneration so no need to fret. And yes I would suggest watering it in a week or two, when you notice that it's wrinkling a bit and/or a bit soft to touch.
    I potted 5 of them in a terracotta pot earlier this year, people are not the biggest fan of potting so many together especially when they're different species are different stage of their lives, but they seem to do okay so far.

Here they are in July
    {{gwi:586941}}

And this is from yesterday
    {{gwi:632553}}

Lithops only starts to flower when they're "adults" (3-5 yrs), and yours also looks like a regenerated 2-head Lithops (meaning splitting from one becoming two plants), so that's how I estimated their age.

As for repotting medium, most people here would tell you NO SAND. I used a little bit of coarse sand in mine but not a big ratio, the rest was succulent/cactus soil, perlite, and some gravel. I didn't have other better ingredients back then so my soil isn't optimal. I potted my newest 1-year-old Lithops in a mix of Turface, chicken grit, soil, vermiculite, and perlite.

• mushibu10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm. That's good to know but am assuming if I water too much or too closely together I run serious risk of rot?

Yours looks good and blend well with your polished pebbles. I also see a bluish stapelia? I have two. Variegata abd grandiflora (the giant cream flower not the pinky one)

So less sand. Okay loam based??
    Am in UK I never herd if turface or chicken grit can you elaborate?
    I currently use john Innes with my other plants it being sandy loam. And I add a quarter of perlite. But for my rainforest/wet tropic plants I use peat and little perlite.

Oh fantastic it's nice to know there are a few simple things to look for as to age if plants it's like reading rings! Ha!

What should I do if it doesn't flower by November? Infact how long does the bud take to come out?

Thank you!

• mushibu10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I decided against shared pot for different types.

I used soil that is a gritty loam with added vermiculite and I added perlite and I didn't have horticultural grit but I used top dressing grit (the stuff a top of the pot.) I hqve not watered it! I didn't pre-soak the terracotta pot either to avoid causing more corking! But I think it'll only get a single watering this year.

I added a very small amount of sharp sand.
    It's looking nice now!
    Thank you for the advice.

Leo I

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Nicely done!
    I think what you're referring to is my Huernia zebrina. It's in bloom recently I have a post about it :P. But I also do have a Stapelia hirsuta, it gave me a very hairy but cute red flower last month.

I think your new soil mix sounds just fine, I have my adult Lithops in a soil mix that's mostly alternative ingredients, not the traditional "gritty mix" items, and they're okay with it so far.

If it doesn't flower by November no worries, just start to reduce watering, and sooner than later you should see them starting to regenerate, at that point seize watering completely. Flower bud comes out quite fast I find, my L. julii had a bud coming out when I purchased it, and within a week it flowered.

All the best! Just water when they look thirsty ;)