Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chiaroscuro_gw

Newbie help growing from seed

chiaroscuro
18 years ago

Hi all,

This is my first time on this forum, I usually hang out on the hot pepper and havest forums. I grow and preserve hot peppers, but am new to growing citrus. I live in northern Italy, and I started growing my own peppers because I couldn't get many different types here, like jalapeños and habañeros. I like to cook, and I was dying for some kaffir lime leaves for Thai dishes. I mentioned this on another forum and someone from Australia offered to send me some seeds. They were pretty dried out, and I got one weak sprout which died at the cotyledon stage.

Then she sent me some seeds in a little plastic baggie with some wet pulp from the fesh fruit inside. I planted these with some of the pulp, and I have two beautiful little sprouts, both with a first set of leaves, and there may be more. I realize it could be a long wait to be able to harvest leaves, but it has become a challenge to grow them, and well, I just enjoy it.

I started them in a bottom heated propagator tray where I also start my peppers. Once they sprouted, I dug out them out and put them in plastic cups and put them under flourescent lamps - all this in regular potting soil. They are doing well, I can see new progress each day. After reading many posts on this forum, I am a bit worried about what to do next - after all this effort, I don't want to kill them!

As I live in Italy, I can't find (US) brand name products, and I am asking (begging) for advice on what to do next. I might be able to find a cactus mix, which I have seen mentioned, but I'm not sure. Is there a common/generic mixture that I might be able to make myself? I mean generic as in sand, vermiculite, peat, etc. I don't know if I can find things like coconut husks - I'll have to look around. I'm just afraid of damaging these young sprouts, and any information would be greatly appreciated.

My only other foray into growing citrus was when I found a seed in a "seedless" clementino (Clementine mandarin) and stuck it in a flower pot with another plant. The thing sprouted, and I replanted it, and grew it for about 3 years. Of course, I did everything WRONG - flooded it with water sometimes, left it outside in freezing weather, but it looked good, until it finally died. I thought it was from lack of water, but now I see it was probably from too much. I don't want to make the same mistake with my precious kaffirs!

Comments (12)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Chiar, are your citrus ready to be repotted?
    You can use a mix of 1/3 all purpose, 1/3 sand, 1/3 peat, and if possible, Perlite.
    Keep plants in bright light, (if possible take outdoors) feed w/a citrus food or Azalia food.
    I find plastic pots work best..Water rootball thoroughly, then let dry between waterings..Use pots with drainage holes. Are you planning on grafting?
    BTW, Welcomr to the forum.. Toni

• chiaroscuro
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Toni,

Thanks for the reply.
    These are only sprouts - a little over a week old. Right now I just want to make sure I don't kill them, since I and my Austalian friend went through a lot to get this far. Her trick of sending the seeds in a bag of pulp was a stroke of genius, I think.

I will try to make the mix you recommended. It shouldn't be a problem. I got one other reply by email that said basically the same thing.

Right now they are in plastic coffee cups that I used for the secondary stage for my pepper seedlings. They are in a mix of compost, ground coconut husks, and pomice,(no soil) which doesn't sound too bad to me. The PH is listed as 6.5 to 8.5. It drains pretty well. I think I will leave them in this for a bit, until they are a little more established, and then into a better mixture. I have them under fluorescent lights right now, and will try to gradually move them into the sun. With peppers, I did this over a period of a week or two, I suppose it woould be the same for these.

I doubt that I will try to graft them, as I just want the leaves, and don't really care about fruit. It's really too early to think about anyway, and I like the challenge of growing them.

You can see the bambini {{gwi:591239}}

• bencelest
    18 years ago

Very nice healthy plant.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Chiar...cute plants..I though you were talking larger seedlings..I'd leave them in the same pot until larger, too. Do these containers have drainage holes?
    8.5 is a bit high, too alkaline..If you fertilize, use something for acidic plants, or 1 capful of vinager per gallon of water will improve soil..Otherwise they look fine..Toni

• chiaroscuro
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Toni,

Yes, they have drainage holes. I'll try giving them a little acid... Ooops, there's a guy in a black suit at my door...

Seriously, I need to find a PH tester of some sort. When I dabbled in hydroponics, I just used litmus paper. I'll check the local garden center and see what's available.

Thanks for the reply!

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Chiar, where do even find litmus paper anymore? LOL I guess someone would have it, and there's always Ebay..You can find anything on Ebay..
    But u never know..try typing in litmus paper on your search engine and see what pops up.
    lol, duh, just figured out what u meant about guy in a black suit..LOL..Make sure you don't develop 'weed' in your 'pot.' LOL Toni

• chiaroscuro
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Toni,

How did people measure PH before electronic meters came along?

I found litmus paper in a hydroponics store in Berkeley, CA. It came with a color chart to compare the results. It works quite well, many people use it.

• jimmydo2
    18 years ago

Most HomeBrewing stores also cary litmus paper

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Chiar, good question..and one I can't answer. LOL. I'd guess people experimented with soils hoping for the correct medium. I often wonder how people got along without half the stuff we have nowadays..Toni

• kquat
    18 years ago

Toni: Please explain what is LOL. Thanks. K.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Chair, to be honest, life was much easier than it is now..Things were simplified, not complicated. I sometimes with the old days were back..when watching old movies, everyone looked so happy..(S)

K, LOL ='s laugh out loud..Toni

• janetplanet
    16 years ago

I just signed on to this forum as we ate some wonderful oranges in Spain and brought back the seeds. I know now from what I've read, that my dreams of my very own orange tree with that wonderful fruit may not be a reality....but I'm a dreamer, what can I say. We put the seeds in a damp paper towel for a week before I started researching what to do. Right now, they're drying out....I've been reading the forum, but I'm so lost....guess I'm a newbie newbie.

Can someone please take the time and walk me through what needs to be done to salvage my orange seeds? I really want to give this a try. In Spain, there are orange trees everywhere, and I would love to bring a piece of that memory back to my home. Thank you so much!