Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnama_gw

Ostrich Fern Roots Growth

donnama
18 years ago

I thought since the store sold the Ostrich roots at planting season they would be sprouting in at least a couple of weeks.

I bought two Van Zycerden Nursery's bulb size #1 roots from Walmart, planted them a month ago, in a light mixture of Perlite (Schultz's), Sphagnum Moss (Better-Gro's), and Potting Soil (Markman's), lightly watered it with Plant Food (Peter's), and have been watering them lightly twice a week, once with plain tap water and once with the plant food.

Makes it kind of embarrassing to my family that my plant house decorations are turning out so plain, less our expectations of the growing larger leaves around the house.

Comments (2)

• brendan_of_bonsai
    18 years ago

You must keep the soil moist constantly, don't worry about root rot, the Sperm need water to move around, also if you plant two or more in close proximity you will have more leaf action as one Germophyte does not release sperm and Eggs at the same time.

• botanybabe
    17 years ago

Don't fertilize so often. Ferns need relatively little fertilizer, and prefer organic humus to liquid or pellet fertilizer. If you feel you must fertilize with commercial fertilizer, then find out if your ferns need alkaline or acid soil, and feed with the appropriate balance. If I remember correctly, ostrich ferns prefer slightly acid soil. But you'd do better with some compost.

Lainey

Sponsored