Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fourschiets

Gave up on grass for moss

fourschiets
18 years ago

I am OK with having a moss lawn since I have mostly shade.

My question is. Will a weed killer used to kill broad leaf weeds in a fescue type lawn kill my moss . Or putting it another way, How does one control weeds in a moss lawn?

Comments (3)

• terrestrial_man
    18 years ago

I prefer the old method of pulling them out! And trying to contain their presence to somewhere else off the property!!

But Click here to the Moss Acres site
    maybe you can find the info there or call them???

• deep_woods
    18 years ago

Try Roundup (glysophate is generic name) without the fertilizer. Try on a small patch. Glysophate enters through the green parts of leaf and stem and somehow disrupts the metabolism necessary for root development. Since moss have no roots, only rhizoids that are used for anchoring and capillary movement of water from ground surface up to moss leaves, anecdotal information that I have read plus my own trials indicate the vascular plants die and the moss while it does not like glysophate survives. Be sure and put down Preen without fertilizer. This pre emergent herbicide available in regular or organic form will prevent any plant and weed germination.

I read a lot of technical info about Roundup/glysophate last year and never got a clear understanding of its' pathways and interactive processes. But you know the 'net. Wait six months or a year and it's a whole new ballgame.

Note: fertilize 1/4 strength acid fertilizer every two to three weeks till hot weather and things should really take off. Glyosophate breaks down immediately on contact with soil so it only acts on contact with green leaf and stem.
    Someone out there, and you know who you are, can probably explain glysophate better.

Rick

• brendan_of_bonsai
    17 years ago

Corn Gluten would probably be a good aly in fighting weeds Moss doesn't germinate and as a result won't be affected.

Sponsored