Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oath5

Good, Striking Dahlias for cutting

oath5
13 years ago

Hi there, I was hoping people could also (besides my zinnia thread) could give some good suggestions for good cutting dahlias? My father and I tried a cutting mix from a grower last summer but most turned out lilac color and we somewhat boring. We like bright colors.

I myself love heirloom types and while it's not terribly, old, 'Old Gold' from 1947 is a very nice dahlia and very productive. I've also found dinnerplates don't do well here in Maryland, it's just too humid and hot and their production is slow...unless I'm mistaken? Any tricks? Cactus and needle-type also sulk too....

Would it be too much to ask what everyone's favorite type of of dahlia varieties are that are distinct and great for cutting?

Thanks!

- Max

Comments (4)

• grannymarsh
    13 years ago

"Unforgettable " is my absolute favorite for cutting.

Formby Royal
    Hilltop Ivan
    Maltby Pearl
    Raz-Ma-Ta
    Goshen Calico
    Skywalker
    Dusty Daydreams
    Autumn Reverie (late,tho)

• oath5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks grannymarsh! 'Unforgettable' looks great for an off-white, with that misty purple, very nice. Reminds me of the song, I love that song.

• grannymarsh
    13 years ago

Yah, I love cutting "Unforgettable" with that song crooning thru my brain. And I must mention, that the plant is a blooming machine, earlish, good+ tuber maker. It's a lovely clear white, outstanding ball form, the lavender edges are darned good at disquising bug chews, too.
    Another favorite is a pink one that I call 'baby girl pink', the name escapes me at the moment. Same attributes as "Unforgettable." Wait !! It's "Maltby Pearl".

• oath5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you very much grannymarsh. It sounds lovely, I'll have to track it down to try, I do like the ball forms very much, I LOVE 'Little Beeswings', it's really a cute dahlia. I'll look up 'Maltby Pearl' as well, I may be working with a florist and she seems to need lots of pastels no matter what the season! Thank you very much.

Sponsored