Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jview_gw

ID please

jview
18 years ago

I wish that I could post a picture but do not have a camera. The fern that I bought had no id and the salesperson did not even know it was a fern, much less it's name. The fronds are simple, arrow shaped, about 2.5" X 1.5" and stand about 5" tall. They are dark green and have a leathery sheen. The fertile fronds are about the same but stand about 10 or 12 inches tall. Can anyone tell me what it is? Thanks, Jerry

Comments (7)

• karinl
    18 years ago

Just some clarification first - you're saying that the frond is not divided at all, right; that it just looks like one big leaf sticking up (and it's taller than it is wide?)? And is this alleged to be a hardy fern or an indoor plant?

• Athyriana
    18 years ago

Hello,
    I post a picture from a indoor fern with simle fronds. Is this the right one? The name of this fern is Aslenium nidus
    {{gwi:617322}}
    regards
    Athyriana
    homepage about ferns: http://www.farngarten.de/e_index.htm (english version)

• jview
    Original Author
    18 years ago

KarinL,
    Yes, it is comlpetely simple and undivided, like one leaf (but not a large leaf). Rising from the soil each frond has a narrow stem which is about two or three inches long. On the top of this stem is a simple triangular leaf with a notch at the base where it is joined to the stem. This triangular part is about two or two and a half inches long and about one and a half inches wide. The fertile fronds had stems about ten inches long and the leafy part was maybe four or five inches long by about one and a half inches wide. It had fertile fronds during the summer but I cut them off because they were dead looking when I brought the plant in for the winter. I do not know wether it is hardy or tropical and do not want to take a chance. As I said before, the leafy part is dark green and leathery looking, not translucent. If anything, the plant reminds me of a "walking fern" but the dimensions are quite different in size and proportion.
    Does this help in identifying it? I hope so.

Athyriana, Thank you for the attempt. As you can see from this more detailed description, this is quite a different fern. Do you have any further suggestions?

Thank you both. Jerry

• Athyriana
    18 years ago

Hello Jerry,
    I post 2 pictures from the walking fern, Camtosorus rhizophyllus. Does it looks like this?

{{gwi:617323}}

{{gwi:617324}}

This fern is hardy to Zone 6.

regards
    Athyriana
    www.farngarten.de

• karinl
    18 years ago

I don't need much inducement to flip through my fern book, and so I went through and looked at each diagram last night. I might have missed a page or two, but found two that have arrow-shaped fronds: Hemionitis arifolia (name is promising, eh?) and Pyrrosia sheareri. Both are tender. Neither description makes mention of different fertile fronds though. Both have short-creeping rhizomes, with the H. being described as short-creeping to suberect.

Maybe google will show you images of those ferns to compare, otherwise I am at a loss... unless you have a perennial like an arum and not a fern?

If this was sold as a houseplant, the other thing you could do is flip through houseplant books or go to other stores that sell lots of them in hopes that you will find the same plant WITH a label!

• jview
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You have found it! It is Hemionitis arifolia. Logee's shows a very good picture of it with the fertile fronds standing above the others. Thank you very much. Jerry

• karinl
    18 years ago

Thank you for letting me know! So nice to have a response, although the hunt for info is always fun :-)

It is a very cool-looking fern too:

Here is a link that might be useful: Logee's link

Sponsored