Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerme_gw

Clarkia for cutting?

gardenerme
14 years ago

I wintersowed these and love them! I accidentally broke some stems with large buds on them and put them in a vase. The buds opened beautifully and are lasting a long time in the vase. Anybody else growing these in their cutting garden?

Comments (14)

• flowers4u
    14 years ago

They're great flowers, but I need the space they take for other higher profitablility flowers. They do self sow as well.

Enjoy them!

• all_bout_flowers
    14 years ago

I started a bunch from seed and Godetia. I pinched them at 6" and they are branching out and have a ton of buds on them this is the first year for me on this, so more info to follow.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

I got some free clarkia seeds last year and tried sowing them. I had good germination but kind of neglected the seedlings and they didn't do much. But I recall them being somewhat short (well, not MINE, lol, but I recall the info from the seed package saying that they are short). How tall do they get? I don't seem to have much luck with shorter bouquets.

:)
    Dee

• gardenerme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mine are about 18" tall, plenty for cutting.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    14 years ago

Oh! That is plenty tall! I'll have to re-read those seed packets, lol, and next year I'll have to actually pay attention to my seedlings!

:)
    Dee

• Noni Morrison
    14 years ago

I have had a patch of them growing for years now from a single seeding. They grow crowded and tangled so this year I thinned them out to about 18" apart. THey grow close to 30" tall for me and that is a problem because the tips do not bloom until the first part of the stem is done and that takes weeks.

THis year I planted a package of white ones from GeoSeeds and am looking forward to having all the white fillers I need in late July and early August. THe coral and fuchia colors are not hot movers for me. White is always good.

• all_bout_flowers
    14 years ago

Ok, someone should of said they are also deer candy. I have a small buck that keeps breaking through my deer netting and eating them. Oh, also to mention he only eats the ones were the seed cost me $8.00 a packet. How much was the seed from GeoSeeds?

• Noni Morrison
    14 years ago

I don't remember, it was a couple of years old. But I do not think it was that much or I would not have gotten it. I would pay that for some things but not godetia.

There are different kinds of godetia/clarkia and each company seems to radomly pick what they will call it. THe kind I was referring to it is also called "Mountain Garland". There is a godetia that is quite short, and then they range all the way between the two extremes. THe kind I have volunteering bushes out from the base and the flowers start blooming at the bottom and over a matter of weeks progress to the tips. I suppose you could make a garland with them...if you really wanted to! THey come in peach, coral, fuchia and white in a mixture. I notice that the white ones I bought have a cluster of buds up on top of the plant. Can't wait for them to open so I Can see what I have! THey are at least 24" tall in a very poor scrubby part of my garden. Just gave them a dose of fish fertilizer today while I was feeding its neighbors.

• all_bout_flowers
    14 years ago

Well, my Clarkia is finally blooming and I'm not too impressed with it. For those who grow what are your thoughts is it worth the room they take up? What other flowers do you use in a bouquet with these they look so strange.

• Fundybayfarm
    14 years ago

I grew a variety from Geo seed last year called "flamingo" and they were gorgeous but not nearly as tall as what most of you are saying. However, I made bouquets out of them anyway and put perennial baby's breath with them and they looked so pretty. Would have made great bridal bouquets.This year I'm growing a different one, but pretty much the same mix of colors and they seem a little shorter. I've been ignoring them because last time I looked the top flowers were full of earwigs.
    Cheryl

• all_bout_flowers
    14 years ago

I picked some yesterday and put them in some bouquets, within few hours they flopped over. I tried to revive them with some hydrate but it didn't work. I picked them with just the bottom flowers open. What went wrong?

• Noni Morrison
    14 years ago

If yours are the same as the "mountain garland" ones I found I needed to wait until they are blooming nearer the top then they last for days or even weeks in a bouquet. Rather an awkward flower but very pretty in the right kind of bouquet where you want a rather airy and tall filler.

My new white ones are opening and they are a very diferent type with white flowers more like a lavetera at the top of the stem. I really like them! White is always a welcome color in my arrangements...brings some light to our grey days here in Western Washington. Also my stand is of weathered cedar so I try to make sure it gets light colors so people notice the flowers when they are in the shade. I think I want to try these in a nice mixture next year as well as the white ones.

• bfff_tx
    14 years ago

I've grown the Godetia 'Grace' Series (from Geo Seed) for years. They are one of my favourite Spring bloomers. I too pinch at 6" and I put them in two layers of Hortnova as they can reach 36". They are extremely productive but unfortunately only have a few weeks of production time here in Tx.
    In straight bouquets I mix them with Orlaya and they are also great in any bouquets with a mixed variety of flowers. Flower buds on these are on the top of the stem and they have a very long vase life. I cut either early a.m. or late p.m. when the buds have split and you can see the flower colour. If I need to work with them, I leave them at room temp for a day or two till they open. They can stay in the cooler for days and the buds will not continue to open.
    I especially like the straight Salmon, Red and Lavender. FM customers are in awe of them as they've never seen them b4. This spring I noticed they sold in Central Market for $1 per stem, I used to sell them to florists for $7.50 a 10stem/bunch.
    My 2nd planting this year was placed in my pasture growing area in sandy soil and were just about to flower when along come the deer and demolished a 40' row of them overnight. I was not happy. Time for a permanent heavy duty deer fence.
    Cheers Kim
    Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:623885}}

• Noni Morrison
    14 years ago

Yeh! "Grace" is the name of my white ones. I like them a lot! I Am going to buy more seed and more colors next year.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals