Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emerald1951

hummel sunset question......

emerald1951
13 years ago

Hi all...........

I bought a cutting of a hummel sunset last fall....

it has grown very nicely...but it is plain green...

it has lost all it beautiful colors...

How do I get the colors back?????

I live in Minnesota, it was out side all summer, its in the house now...

linda

Comments (7)

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Linda,
    It's my understanding that Jades color best when the days are warm and nights are cool.

If you have it inside now, then you may have to wait till spring when it can go back outside.

JoJo

• jade_man
    13 years ago

Linda,
    if you started with a cutting you had to root, it probably would not have colored up well wile rooting. i am assuming it needs the extra chlorophyll for active growth. over the winter it should continue to grow and be ready for color this spring.

my cutting that i rooted this summer refused to color along with my other hummel's sunsets, which colored pretty well this fall.

Doug

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi Doug,
    That's interesting to know!
    Does that pretty much apply to all or most jades, of is the hummel extra fussy?

I took Linda's post as it lost it's color after she got it.

Which is it Linda?
    Did it not have any to begin with, or lose it? :)

JoJo

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

My experience in Fl (and this is with a rooted Plant) is I need to have cold weather and direct sun in conjunction. Linda can you put it outside in full sun during the day? You can even leave it outside at night as well as long as your temps don't go below 32 degrees? Keeping in mind that if its not been in full sun for a while to do it gradually so you don't sunburn the leaves. Leave it outside in a sheltered location but with some direct sun and only bring it inside when your temps dip below 32 degrees. Try it for a few weeks and see if that does the trick. I do know I only get the nice colors in Jan. thru April...depending on how cold our winter is. Good luck!

Jade Man, that's interesting about your newly rooted hummel.
    I bet it will color up in Spring like you said. Good luck!

• jade_man
    13 years ago

Jojo,

i agree with your first post as to when they color very nicely which here in P.A. is spring and fall. this fall the only hummel's sunset i had that did not color was my cutting that had just recently rooted and was growing at both ends. to clarify i think that when hummel's sunsets are actively growing or at least rooting, the seem to loose there color.

i received this cutting this summer with very nice color. and no roots.

{{gwi:685141}}

when this cutting began to root, it began to loose it's color. here it is with enough roots to hold itself up and not much of it's color that it had started with

{{gwi:575132}}

here it is in the blue oval pot with my other hummel's sunsets that colored up nicely while this plant lost it's color but was actively growing before the others

{{gwi:692244}}

i think that growth takes a lot of energy which the plant needs chlorophyll to produce so the more green the more chlorophyll. sorry for any confusion. i could be wrong?

Doug

• emerald1951
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi all...
    I got a cutting(with very nice color) last fall(2009)and it was outside all summer and grew very nicely. but it turned green and has remained green...:(
    I will try putting it outside during the day..and bringing it in at night..but its getting colder here all the time so I will not beable to do it very long...you know minnesota..soon it will be a deep freeze...lol....linda

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hey Jade Man,
    I agree with you 100% I bought 2 really nice large Hummel Sunsets from Lorraine this summer. Noth were coloring up nicely. The first Hummel was able to spend time outdoors before I had to move it in for the winter. The other Hummel never had that chance.
    From what I have experienced, cuttings do stay green after they have rooted. I have recieved 3 from my friend Norma and they didn't begin to color up until this fall. On the other hand, the 2 that I got from Lorraine, continued to color up even when they were not recieving bright light. I think that when they are stressed, they color even more. Matter of fact, I know they do, Norma told me that. The first Hummel's colors started improving more when I put it out but I didn't gradually increase the sunlight like I knew I had too do. The leaves didn't completely lose all thee color but they faded. The second Hummel I have growing about 6ft away from my 600watt HPS light and the leaves are still turning a nice rich red color.

Linda,
    I would caution you from leaving your jades outdoors even when a frost is predicted. I had 2 really nice Hummel's cuttings(They were my largest and nicest) that I had up against a wall and even covered by the porch ceiling. I remember one of the crutial requirements was to keep the soil bone dry and I did yet the next morning they looked like cooked spinach:( I didn't totally lose either of them. I remember Josh telling the forum that you shouldn't cut anything back right away or water. I finally can see some healthy stems so they will come back. It will take some time but they will come back.
    Andrew