Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbipp

Late July-August Roll Call

teresa_b
15 years ago

Hello Fellow Flower Lovers,

So what are you cutting for your bouquets now?

I have zinnias, cosmos, cleome and some roses. I cut one tuberose today.

Bachelor buttons are blooming but I have decided that as much as I like the blue, they are too small and dainty for my bouquets.

Teresa

Comments (6)

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

WE ARE HAVING THE COLDEST SUMMER I EVER REMEMBER! My dahlias are just getting going good, and we are between flowers on most of the roses. My first glads are just sending up spikes. Zinnia plants are mere babies. Got 2 volunteer sunflowers. Snaps are going good but just recovering from their first major pickings. Sweet peas doing well. Calendulas are numerous! Orlaya finishing but ammi starting. Trouble is that few seeds germinated...I think I have only 3 plants! BATCHELORS BUTTONS at their peak and larkspur just starting. Phlox also just coming into bloom.

It was 48 degrees this morning at 8:30.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

Wow, Lizalily! That IS cold!

Today I cut sunflowers, celosia, amaranthus, rudbeckias, ageratum, zinnia, phlox, daisies, coneflowers, cleome, liatris, dahlias, euphorbia, emilia, gomphrena, snapdragons, and lilies.

I think I'm giving up on larkspur. Mine always seems so fragile.

This is my first year with cleome. I love the look but ouch! It kept sticking me where I cut the foliage off, and it was sticky too. Not sure if I'll continue to use this too much.

:)
    Dee

• Pudge 2b
    15 years ago

My main cuts last week and this week are asiatic lilies and sunflowers. The Pro Cuts, started as plugs in the greenhouse and planted out in late May are finally blooming and customers just ate them up last week. Adding to the mix are amaranthus (velvet curtains, just love this plant), agrostemma, clarkia, snapdragons, liatris, zinnias, purple bouquet dianthus, bupleurum (first time growing this one, and I really like it), marble arch rose salvia, statice, indian summer rudbeckia. This will probably be the last lily week, but a later planting of sunflowers will be coming into bloom soon.

This part of Saskatchewan has had a very wet July, many thunderstorms and always, always a threat of hail with some heavy, damaging stuff falling as close as a couple miles from me. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a while yet.

• teresa_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone for posting as this is helpful for planning for next year.

Pudge, if you check back in, are the Pro Cuts a sunflower? Do you grow agrostemma from seed in the spring or plant the previous autumn to let them overwinter?

Lizalily, I echo diggerdee, that is COLD! I feel for you. Your weather is not prime for flower growing.

Teresa

• thinman
    15 years ago

I'm still working my way up the steeper part of the learning curve, but I am currently cutting ageratum, agrostemma, amaranthus, ammi, bachelor buttons, annual baby's breath, cosmos, daisies, millet, statice, and zinnias.

My first planting of sunflowers is just starting to bloom, with Pro Cut Orange leading the pack. Rudbeckia is almost ready also.

ThinMan

• Pudge 2b
    15 years ago

Yes, as ThinMan mentions, Pro Cuts are sunflowers. I tried many different varieties last year with disappointing results, so I stuck with Pro Cut orange this year and couldn't be happier.

I start Agrostemma (and pretty much all annuals) in the spring, in plugs in the greenhouse.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz