Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hanzrobo

84 Lithops in a 4" Pot, Yo-ho-ho and a bucket of soil...

hanzrobo
11 years ago

Hello friends. I recently dismantled a packed pot of 14-month-old Lithops lesliei 'Pietersburg' C30. I've been tackling the pots that are overpacked one at a time. So far I've done Glottiphylum fragrans(wow, too many), Glotti linguiforme, Jensenobotrya lossowiana, Anacampseros rufescens, Cheiridopsis peculiaris and Aloinopsis orpenii. It's quite tedious but I enjoy it, very zen for me.

I figured I would take pics this time and share my process with you folks. Here we go!

Standing room only.
{{gwi:700818}}
I use the back end of a paint brush to loosen the soil, working my way through. When I remove one, I run the roots between two fingers, gently pulling away loose soil and fine roots.
{{gwi:700820}}
and then you get this...
{{gwi:700822}}
I waited 2 days for this next step. It's probably safe after 1 day but I don't mess around with "probably". Here's my soil.
{{gwi:700827}}
So, you angle your pot and add your 1st section of soil. I'm doing 16 in this pot so I start with 4 across.
{{gwi:700830}}
I then use a spoon to add the 2nd section of soil, the first scoop is used to hold down the roots.
{{gwi:700833}}
Repeat...
{{gwi:700836}}

{{gwi:700838}}

{{gwi:700840}}

After it's full, it still needs some adjustment. I use the paintbrush again to push the plants and soil around until my grid is nice and the soil is fairly level.
{{gwi:700842}}
{{gwi:700844}}
and then it looks like this...
{{gwi:700845}}
I use a little horticultural sand around the edges of each plant to hold them snug...
{{gwi:700847}}
a light spray for now...
{{gwi:700849}}
label and done!
{{gwi:700850}}
Okay, now only 4 more pots and I'm done for today! Say it with me, 4 more pots! 4 more pots!

Comments (29)

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Wow, it's like a sea of colors there. Thanks for sharing.

Planto

• Colleen E
    11 years ago

Frankly, adorable. Such a nice demonstration too! Thank you.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Ryan,

I like it - thanks for the step-by-step, too. That's a great documentary.

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing!

• CorpsmanCooper
    11 years ago

I never thought to do it that way! NICE!

~Erin~

PS they're cute!

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    11 years ago

why do you have to plant the lithops seedlings sideways?

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Grant,

Because Ryan operates in free fall - it all has to do with gravity.

Seriously, he doesn't have to, but his method ensures a home to grow into, and they're lined up like little cadets at an academy, where he can easily check the progress of each. It's an innovative method to plant lots of plants in a small space.

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your comments, everybody. I just hope it is useful to some.

Grant, to answer your question, I hold the pot at an angle while I'm planting so that everything will stay put until I'm done, otherwise the soil would fall to the bottom. It also allows me to lay the plants in without damaging the roots.

• paul_
    11 years ago

Impressive bunch of lithops there! I'm still waiting to see if mine survive their repot

This post was edited by paul_ on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 18:48

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jeff, hahahaha, "operates in free fall" is right. Everything you said is correct, especially the part about me being innovative, don't get to hear that enough;)

Paul, it's my fault for not signing my name, I'm Ryan.
    If your seedlings survived the first few weeks after transplant, they should be fine. They show damage very quickly at that size.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

I like that method and never would have thought of it. Thanks for sharing. Your lithops look great as well.

• Beachplants
    11 years ago

Really nice grouping! Variations within a species can only be enjoyed with people like you doing picture essays like this. Good one!

• paul_
    11 years ago

Oops! Sorry Ryan!

Mine aren't seedlings rather ones I picked up last year from Lowes. There were 6 or 7 in a 2" pot and I decided to attempt to separate them. Was a more brutal process than I had wanted it to be. But will just have to see if they survive the abuse.

• cardiovascular
    11 years ago

They look like tiny little buttons! Thank you for sharing the process with us via photos!

• nat_lia
    11 years ago

Great post!, love the pictures- step by step on how you did it. Thanks for sharing. Saved it on my clippings :)

Natalia

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again, everybody. I'm really glad this method might help some people. It works for lots of other genera as well.
    I should say, it takes some practice to maintain an even level across the pot as you plant. I usually have to remove some extra grit that builds up at the bottom as I spoon, burying the first row. Another trick to correct the level a bit is to tap the rim of the pot. The soil will move towards your finger as you tap. Keep this to a minimum.

Rian, I'll make sure to revisit this thread in 6-8 months for a progress report. We should be able to see some great variation by then.

Paul, if it's those grayish ones that Lowes tends to carry, those are really tough. I know it feels brutal pulling off all those fine roots but it's really the only way to grow them long-term.

• 123Greta
    11 years ago

Wow! That will definitely help me with repotting some of those little guys. Thanks!

• csmartyonline
    11 years ago

I'm late to the party but this is a great demo. Thanks.

• rredbbeard
    11 years ago

I tried starting lithops as a kid, and just received a small batch of mixed seeds to do it right this time--thanks for the detailed description of procedure. How many species are fragrant btw?

Does cross pollinization of two different cole numbers present any problems or challenges? Is there a lithops faq page?

Thanks,

--Rick in CT

• rosemariero6
    11 years ago

Whoa, Ryan...that's a whole kit & kaboodle!

4 more pots, 4 more pots!! (Helpful? LOL Even if this is an old post~I missed it. I'm sure you're repotting others by now.)

Thanks for this tutorial! I always wondered how one would get those tiny little things to line up like that. Now you've explained it! Genius!! If I ever have this daunting task to do, I'll reference your post! :D

• harmony_2007
    11 years ago

Wow, beautiful little Lithops! And great step by step photos!! Thanks for sharing :)

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again, you guys! I'm glad it's helpful.

Ro, yes the repotting never ends. I have to build another greenhouse this year for all the expansion!

Rick, I'm not sure which species are especially fragrant but Lithops flowers are sweetly fragrant in general. They cross-pollinate very easily but you should keep good track of what you've done in case you create something amazing. Cross-pollination in Lithops, however, can lead to some dull and ugly specimens indeed. If you plan to experiment over a period of years, it's a good idea to document your process. There's no Lithops FAQ page here but many resources online you can access. Check out lithops.info and definitely read the writings of Steven Hammer, link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stop... Hammertime

• rredbbeard
    11 years ago

Being new to lithops, it'll be a challenge for me to ID any specific Cole numbers, thus any crosses I make may remain a mystery. I guess I have a year or two to figure this out--I'll keep you posted!

--Rr

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Triple post

This post was edited by LauraRobichaud on Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 8:10

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Triple post

This post was edited by LauraRobichaud on Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 8:12

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

I bought a couple of pots of lithops from a garden center near me about 3 weeks ago. They had some interesting varieties so I went back to see if I could get a couple more. They were all soggy and collapsing. It was such a shame. I'm glad I got the two pots I bought because you don't see them available very often here.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I recently picked one up from lowes on the discount rack. kept it with my other cacti and it looked fine. I went and grabbed another from lowes and that same night the one I had collaped and turned to much. after I removed the top a small one was forming inside. it lasted about 5 days then it died.. The new one seems alright at this point. not sure what I am doing wrong but I sure wish they would live. id like to get a small collection of them going but there hard to find locally here

• Irrelephant
    11 years ago

Wow! Where do you get lithrops seeds?

• hanzrobo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Irrelephant,
    I get my seeds from Mesa Garden and soon, from the Mesemb Study Group. There are some other places in South Africa that I know of but have never used.

Laura,
    At the big box stores (and even some smaller nurseries) Lithops often arrive safely then get drowned over the next few weeks. It's best to snag them early. If you're getting the hang of keeping them alive, order a few choice Lithops from Mesa Garden in the Spring. The price isn't much different and then you'll have some plants with names.

Mike, it's hard to say what went wrong without knowing how you were caring for the plant but... I would suggest reading up on Mesemb care. The link below should answer many of your questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hammertime