Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

How many viable tubers from an average dahlia at years end?

highlandernorth
12 years ago

Once you wait til 2 weeks or so after first hard frost, as I've been told is correct, then you dig up the tubers.

But how many on average will be viable and will produce new dahlias next year, provided you store them correctly and they dont die?

Comments (3)

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

Oh Wow that is a tough one to answer. Varies from cultivar to cultivar. If you get six really good ones from a clump should be a good number just from my experience. Steve in Stevens County.

• teddahlia
    12 years ago

Dahlias vary greatly in tuber production. Varieties like Chilsons Pride, Mingus Toni, Alamode, can have 10 or 15 from a large healthy plant. More commonly the average is about 5. Phil Mingus who has grown them for over 60 years figures on 5 tubers per plant. Of course there are the few varieties that make anywhere from one to two or three. Others make five or six but most of them rot in storage.

• nerak
    12 years ago

In my storing of tubers i let the tuber tell me when I take them out of storage. If they are very lg. I wiggle them apart and try to keep eye's on each seperate clump of tubers, usually I get 2 or 3 from each clump, because I like full bushie plants w/ lots of blooms so I try not to make the clumps of tubers to small. I don't usually seperate them before storage unless they naturally seperate when I dig them up. it varies with each plant. hope this helps.mc1720161318099ec rosa. abbystractkat@cox.net

Sponsored