Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deafblossom

Hi.. I want to learning how to grow Dahlias

deafblossom
17 years ago

HI!

I wanted to learn how to grow lovely Dahlias. I live in Ozark (Mountain View, AR). I am thinking about grow for my hobby and like to try to selling cutting dahlias flowers for next year. I grow lots of daylilies and some roses. Do Dahlias like to grow along with daylilies and some roses? Do you have a good website for me to learning more about it? Do you grow it from seeds? Happy Thanksgiving.. Kat

Comments (4)

• calpat
    17 years ago

Welcome to possible Dahlia addiction! On this forum you'll find a host of knowledgeable people who are so helpful and willing to help you acquire knowledge. My 3 favorites are JRoot, a canadian grower, Poochella in the PNW, so willing to share and Plantlady whose more than 6,000 plants are testimonial to her addiction. Now up in the right hand corner of this forum page you'll see a small area marked "search" with a go sign following. Just type in Dahlias by JRoot,or Dahlias by Poochella or Dahlias by Plantlady. You'll come up with a lot of hits that will keep you busy reading and digesting for all the winter months. Oh yes, it was suggested to go to the website of the Colorado Dahlia Society for info. reg. types, classes of Dahlias. Remember too, that we all learned sometime, so don't be shy...ask! Well, that takes care of Nov. & part of December. Have fun and don't take errors/goof-ups to seriously! Pat

• jeannie7
    17 years ago

Kat, for expert help in everything about dahlia, visit the website of "American Dahlia Society"....

Then to read what the average gardener does ...just put
    "dahlia" into your browser window....and follow the
    yellow brick road.

• deafblossom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Pat...Thank you for great information about Dahlia with your favorite grower and Colorado Dahlia Society. I cannot believe they grow so many thousands of Dahlias. How they can digging up so many thousands Dahlias for storage? I quess they have a great place for storage. I have been looking around my tiny house to find a good storage for dahilias. I do not have basement. I understand the storage temp. would be best between 35-50. My loft room may be good place for it, but it sometime went higher than 60's. I am tempted to buy Dahlias from Park's Seed Co. They are so beautiful and great for cutting too.

Jeannie...The American Dahlia Society is so awesome and very intersted to surfing with Dahlias grower collection their many pretty Dahlias. I have been trying to find Arkansas Dahlia Society, however it seem not have one in Arkansas. I found one nice webiste in Bristol, Indiana where my family lives in Indianapolis, IN. I like to stopped by to visiting their Dahlia garden. I have been trying to find some more information about how to cut Dahlias for selling? How long the Dahlia blooms last long?

Thank you very much!
    Kat

• plantlady2
    17 years ago

Kat - The husband spends hours digging & storing the dahlias- & he does it all himself- all 6000+ of them- some would call that excessive perhaps, but it keeps him out of the house! They take up a surprisingly small amount of room the way he stores them- stacked in milk crates up to 6-7 high as of this week.
    There are a few southern dahlia societies- one in Georgia & one in Tennessee- & there's the Carolinas Society, too. This is the site for the Georgia Society- the conditions would probably be closer to yours than in Indiana.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlia Society of Georgia