Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheyjohn_z5

Job's Tears and Pussy willows

cheyjohn_z5
19 years ago

Can anyone suggest a place where I can get Job's Tear seeds to plant? I saw this last season online and thought they were so neat, and would like to grow some myself, but I am having trouble locating them.

I am also looking for a place to purchase pussy willow branches to root myself. I think it would be cheaper than buying the different trees, right? Thanks!

Chey

Comments (7)

• IndianPaintBrush
    19 years ago

Hello Cheysgarden!

I was just reading your Post, & sorry, but I have no suggestions on the "Job's Tear's' seeds for you, but perhaps I can ask around, whenever I go into Town from our Ranch here, OK?

Your interest in the "Pussy-Willow" branches is what caught my eye. For the first time in my Life, I own a really neat "Pussy-Willow" tree, & just now learned about how to dry the "pods" from the branches, from off this Web Site here! I was out looking at my Pussy-Willow Tree just the other day, and the buds are fast going to seed now, & I haven't gotten in my Flower Press yet. (darn!) But... there is a little "story" behind that Pussy Willow tree of mine....

My Mother-in-Law has one in Town, & hers grew like crazy... I was wanting a Pussy-Willow Tree soooo bad, when we put our house in out here on our Land. Well... several years after we put the House in, my husband ask me if I wanted a "start" of his Mom's Pussy-Willow Tree? Of course, I jumped at it, but was also very "skeptical" about attemping to plant it out here, because I never had very good luck with much of anything... especially "transplants" & such--- Well, that was about 5 or 6 years ago, & Cheysgarden... you should see how "huge" my Pussy-Willow tree is now!!!!!! I am so proud of it, & also very, very happy that it thrived & has done so well. I had to clip-it-back even, because it got so big!

I would gladly send you a branch or some "roots" from off of it, if you would like me to?? I see you live in the same Zone as I do there in IN; so this just might work, if I was to send you a "start" of my Pussy-Willow Tree. What do you think??? I'm not sure how well "grounded" that Tree is, but I would have to go out & take a look at it for you, to see if I could get you a good "starter" branch from it... Just let me know on this, alright??

Also.. I wanted to tell you, I went in and looked at your "Cheysgarden" Web Page, and just absolutely "loved" your Flower Garden Photo Albums!! Those were just beautiful, & my favorite was the "Garden 2004" you have Posted, with the "chair" made into a flower pot!! (this is always something I wanted to do, with an old chair & all~) I do have an old "Red-Rider" child's Wagon, ( I purchased at a Yard Sale for $1.00 ) that I have sitting out in the yard, & use as a flowerbed! I wanted to tell you, your flowers, & your flowerbeds were so gorgeous, & I enjoyed looking at your pictures, very much. Thank you for sharing!

Feel free to post to me at any time, & let me know about me sending you a "Pussy-Willow" branch off my Tree out here, alright? I'll gladly do that for you...

Hugs,
    ~ IndianPaintBrush ~

• neil_allen
    19 years ago

J.L. Hudson has seeds for Job's tears. Look under the Latin name, Coix lachryma-jovi in their online catalog. Stokes does, too -- www.stokeseeds.com -- search on coix or, using the menus, choose "annual flowers," then "ornamental grasses."

Here is a link that might be useful: J.L. Hudson

• cheyjohn_z5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Indianpaintbrush, I sent you an email.

Neil, thanks for the link. I am going to check it out now! :)

Chey

• Ssstark
    19 years ago

I got mine from here last year:
    http://www.seedman.com/Orngrass.htm
    D9528 JOB'S TEARS ( COIX LACHRYMAE )
    Each pack contains 15 seeds $2.95

• Josh
    19 years ago

Love the Job's Tears! Can't resist suggesting very interesting article from one of my favorite sites...josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Job's Tears

• cheyjohn_z5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You all have been so helpful. I can see I what I am going to be doing with my computer time the next few days! Those sites are awesome! Thank you so much!

Chey

• jim3
    15 years ago

Hello all
    Looking for a half dozen fresh pussy willow cuttings for rooting. Will pay. Please email me if you can provide them. My two trees died last year.
    Thanks so very much

jim3

Sponsored