Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johndeere_gw

Grain prices up only good thing from drought

johndeere
21 years ago

THE price of corn and soybeans went up this week after the crop report wow nearly a dollar higher for corn.From a month ago.

Comments (7)

• wild_garden
    21 years ago

when do the market people stop saying that grain and oil and gold, etc, are going up and start saying that the value of the dollar is going down and that it doesn't buy what it used to LOL. you are right that is great for the farmers who are able to bring in a crop johndeere!!!

• Frieda__IL
    21 years ago

The farm that surrounds my house looks real good. It's an organic farm. He planted corn this year. I would imagine, he'll get a great crop.

• Bob_NJ
    21 years ago

High grain prices are great if you have grain to sell. All local irrigated corn looks great normally makes 200 bu/acre, 95 degree heat for the last 40 days may have dried pollen, will find out soon.
    Non irrigated corn got a great start then burned up. Soybeans got waste high then burned up just at bloom, double crop beans behind wheat never got 6" tall. Thank goodness for crop insurance...Bob.

• pennsylvania_pete
    21 years ago

Cow prices are headed the other way though. Those folks will get a double whammy. Of course, that sets up for high cattle prices in early 2004, and if the grains are cheap then, the combination of cheap feed and high beef prices will bail out any who don't go under in the meantime.
    Other goods things from the drought. Grapes, stone fruits had little brown rot. Fungicide bills are down for the local orchards. Another benefit of the drought, if you got the weeds out early, the fields are still pretty clean.

• dawnstorm
    21 years ago

I read in the paper that wine made from grapes grown in a drought year is really good because the grapes retain more juice or something like that. Peaches are extra good this year as well.

• Pams
    21 years ago

And now that it rained in some areas, the markets go down. Odds are the rain came a little to late to make a bigger crop for most. We may get better quality because of it. Or are the down markets just so the BIG companies can do business cheaper?

• johndeere
    Original Author
    21 years ago

You guessed it the little guy can not get ahead