Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heckabore

Deep yellow day lily

Debbie
11 years ago

Can anyone recommend a deep yellow---almost orange --daylily? I live in Walnut Creek, CA, where we have hot dry summers and clay soil. I have Cranberry Baby that are wonderful and they bloom and bloom and bloom, but I want to add some color interest. I'm thinking that deep yellow would look good. I plan to mix the day lilies with gazania, euphorbia, and nepeta.

Comments (14)

• Ed
    11 years ago

Maybe SHERRY LANE CARR or OLYMPIC SHOWCASE. Two favorites. Ed

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Sherry Lane Carr is a very nice daylily, but not a deep orangy/yellow color in my climate. If you do a search on "yellow daylilies" on this forum, you will find my query on warm sunny yellows that may be of interest to you. Also I just placed an order with Oakes daylilies and saw a nice older one that might fill the bill for you called Wild One. Oakes is a very good company and sends humongous clumps. They also have a nice guide so you can select by colors. Hope this helps.......Maryl

Here is a link that might be useful: Oakes daylilies Wild One

• Debbie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow--Oakes Daylilies is terrific and I found several that would work for me, in addition to Sherry Lane Carr and Olympic Showcase. I have a catalogue from North Country Daylilies (I must have bought some from them in the past) but there are no photos and I cannot sort the data by color, so it's difficult to use. Thanks so much for this info.

• blue23rose
    11 years ago

Not sure if this is the deep yellow you are looking for, these may be too orange, but here goes my picks. Just realized that these are all doubles.

Alexander's Ragtime Band
    {{gwi:681018}}

Condilla
    {{gwi:681020}}

Savannah Debutante
    {{gwi:681022}}

• Debbie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

blue23rose--that is exactly the color I am looking for! I saw one called Arc of Gold at Amador Farm Daylilies in California, but they are sold out. Thanks!

• Old_Gardener63
    11 years ago

Have you looked at "Spellbinder"? I am in SoCal and it bloomed its heart out while it was 115-118 degrees out last summer and it did not even melt by the end of the day!

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Here are a couple to consider:

{{gwi:681024}}

Buttered Popcorn Clump

{{gwi:681027}}

Buttered Popcorn as a poly plus look at all the scapes

{{gwi:672398}}

Starstruck

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Since you have been looking at Oakes, I will tell you that I got Starstruck, Golden Prize and Prester John from Oakes. The first two are listed as "Gold" and P. John as "orange", but it has a golden look to it. All of these are also dormants, which may not work in your climate, but Golden Hibiscus is very pretty and it is evergreen. However, it is short, that's something else to consider, Buttered Popcorn is more golden in our garden than my pictures show. Good luck and please post again to let us know if you have found some good ones that will work for you. Avedon

• blue23rose
    11 years ago

Hope you have found what you are looking for, but if not here are a couple more that might be to your liking. And these are not doubles, lol!

Hawaiian Gold. I believe this picture from 2012 was taken in the shade because it seem a little darker than the second picture taken in the sun in 2009.
    {{gwi:681028}}

{{gwi:681029}}

Mary's Gold is tall at 34" and is top branched, but what a show it puts on.
    {{gwi:681030}}

{{gwi:681031}}

{{gwi:681032}}

Vickie

• flowergirl929
    11 years ago

What about crown of creation and elegant explosion.

• flowergirl929
    11 years ago

elegant explosion

• timberohio
    11 years ago

How about Carved Pumpkin Pie? I love the bright yellow orange color and the deep carving

• flowergirl929
    11 years ago

This place is bad! Now I am adding carved pumpkin pie to my always growing longer list! That picture is awsome

• Debbie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So many choices! They are all beautiful. I might need to find other places to plant them so I can go with more than one.