Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeschmoe80

Has anyone been successful with Sequoiadenron or Cedrus in OH?

joeschmoe80
11 years ago

I'm in central Ohio, near Columbus.

I have two "holy grail" conifers I've always wanted to try:

Giant Sequoia and anything from the "true Cedars" (Cedrus) genus.

Are there varieties of either that I could have some level of success with in my area? Has anyone got a success story (or failure) to share?

Comments (20)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Skip Sequoia. Even if you can keep it alive, it will not tolerate humidity and will become an unsightly tree, always.

You can easily grow:
    Cedrus libani var. stenocoma

And you will have good success with these Cedrus deodara cultivars, but only these:
    'Eisregren'
    'Polar Winter'
    'Karl Fuchs'
    'Eiswinter'
    'Shalimar'
    'Kashmir'

These Deodara cedars were selected from seed collected in the highest elevations in Pakistan.

Dax

• hairmetal4ever
    11 years ago

I used to live in Akron, OH, and I know that there is some type of Cedrus at the Stow Arboreatum that has been there a while. If it survives there, it will in Columbus.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    11 years ago

Hello, I had more fun in Ohio visiting the different botanical gardens. Dawes is near you and might give you some clues. Lots of easy hiking there also.

FWIW I remember a huge number of Metasequoia across the state, in Cincy, at Seacrest, and Dawes but no Sequoiadenron.

• hairmetal4ever
    11 years ago

Metasequoia seems to do very well in humid areas. Sequoiadendron, not so much.

• noki
    11 years ago

I've seen one guy in Columbus in a ravine type area grow a bluish Giant Sequoia pretty well 15+.
    The other Giant Sequoia I've seen were rather sad and pathetic, usually with the central leader dying off.
    You can always try.

Dawes Arboreteum has a nice Cedrus

• joeschmoe80
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just worry about winter hardiness. As recently as Jan. 2009, we hit -10F (-23C) or colder in many parts of the area...and even the "hardy" Cedrus, from what I've seen, aren't considered hardy to that temperature, or am I wrong?

• denninmi
    11 years ago

My blue sequoia is about 10 years in-ground now, about 10-12 feet tall, and no doubt a pathetic example of the species, but the fact it's lived this long in the Detroit area amazes me. It's sparse and ugly in the middle, basically just the new growth looks good each year. Yet I love it.

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Joeshmoe, Cedrus libani var. stenocoma is a great tree! It's the one photographed above that noki posted!
    It's very hardy all its' life in zone 5.

Dax

• nikkie_in_toronto
    11 years ago

I have been gardening in the Cleveland area for more than a few years. I have been utilizing conifers for the past 15 years and am growing Sequoiadendron giganteum Hazel Smith as well as Cedrus libanii stenocoma, Cedrus libanii var atlantica and various hardier Cedrus deodara such as Karl Fuchs. I've never had any hardiness issues in the past decade or more with any of the above. Micro Climate makes a huge difference and I've been fortunate that I benefit from cloud/snow cover in the winter south of Lake Erie that moderates the temperatures.

Both my Cedrus libanii Stenocoma and var. atlantica as well as Sequoiadendron giganteum are approximately 25 ft plus. (not large, by any means, of course) Sequoiadendron is definitely a bit hardier than Cedrus, but even after the severe winter of 2008-2009 where we saw temps between -8 and -12F in Cleveland (depending on where you live) I had only minor winter burn on the Cedrus.

So many factors come into play in regards to hardiness, such as proximity to a major city/ large body of water (Ohio River or Lake Erie), winter sun/shade, how established the plant is, etc. Sequoiadendron are definitely susceptible to disease in the heat/humidity, but I've seen a few very attractive specimens in Ohio and Pennsylvania, Though they will NEVER compare to those specimens on the West Coast, they are still beautiful. (of course, few things can compete given the perfect climate on the west coast, and I'm forever jealous, lol) I've also seen some beautiful Weeping Blue Atlas Cedars in Ohio that have been trained to take over the entire sides of buildings and are spectacular and have witnessed temperatures below -10F.

I dont know what long term survival is on some of these "marginal" plants, here in Zone 6, but its the risk we take, and its very likely we will get a winter from hell that will wipe them out, but if I can get 20 years out of them, I'm happy. To each his/her own and best of luck to you. Dont be scared to try them. You may just be rewarded for years to come as I have been. Nikkie :-)

• Dufusyte
    11 years ago

Cedrus libani 'Eugene' is anecdotally said to be hardier than Stenocoma (see linked story below).

They are [only] available from Don at porterhowse.com currently.

A good ring of mulch or straw can improve chances of survival during the first several winters.

Here is a link that might be useful: The story on Cedrus libani 'Eugene'

• picea
    11 years ago

I am growing Karl Fuchs with no issues. I also talked to the owner of Lakeview Nursery that sells lots of conifers and he said he has been selling and installing lots of Cedrus with no issues in the Cincinnati area.

It will be interesting to see if the cedrus prove to be more tolerant of drought conditions than the spruce we typically plant here.

• steg
    11 years ago

I am pretty sure there is a nice looking Sequoiadendron giganteum at St. Luke's Catholic Church on Clifton in Lakewood, just W of CLE. From my recollection, maybe 30+ feet tall. Seems to be thriving.

Steg

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

I'm not surprised to know of Sequoiadendrons in Cleveland. The summers there are rather cool by eastern standards (peak 82F/63F). It's heat & humidity that does in that species. It does fine in cool, misty, humid places like Cornwall, Ireland & the PNW coast. The southernmost ones on the US East Coast that look semi-ok are at Longwood, although they are surrounded by a bizarre steampunk-looking electrified fence to keep squirrels from stripping their bark.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Henry Z6(OH Zone 6b)
    last month

Hi know this is old, but my Sequoiadendron is doing just fine here in Ohio, we are in the northeast however with milder winters than Columbus and milder summers. But it took 91F heat just fine this summer. For Cedrus, I’d recommend any of the Karl Fuchs selections of deodars. ‘Eisregen’, ‘Karl Fuchs’, ‘Kashmir’, ‘Shalimar’ etc…

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last month

' I am pretty sure there is a nice looking Sequoiadendron giganteum at St. Luke's Catholic Church on Clifton in Lakewood, just W of CLE. From my recollection, maybe 30+ feet tall. Seems to be thriving. '

The only large conifer I could find on the grounds via Google map, is what looks like Cedrus.

The church is not very far from the lake.

• Henry Z6(OH Zone 6b)
    last month

That looks like Callitropsis nootkatensis

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last month

That was my first thought but I'm not familiar with Cedrus or Nootka to identify them.

• maackia
    last month

Henry, how long have you been growing the Sequoiadendron? Was it planted prior to winter of 2015?

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    last month
    last modified: last month

FWIW the old one at Longwood Gardens has died. According to their database, they are trying other younger ones accessioned starting in 2012.

Unfortunately they are prone to severely damaging foliar diseases in hot, humid climates...not just root rots! I have a normally finicky Rhododendron 'Nancy Evans' that is growing like a champ in these clammy parts - growing just fine because it's grafted onto a super rot resistant hyperythrum hybrid. The foliage always looks flawless. Although it's fascinating that there's a recent report of grafting Sequoia onto Metasequoia, I can't think that grafting Sequoiadendron onto Metasequoia would make a damn bit of difference in the eastern US. Summers are either going to be pleasant enough (e.g., lower dewpoints) that they don't suffer from Cercospora, or they aren't!