Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shroom189

What is the most common plant in your region?

shroom189
20 years ago

hi I thought this would be an interesting topic and i would like to know what is the most common plant in your region? Out in LI (Long Island), its those tall Orange Daylilies that divide like crazy and some of the neighbors think it grows like weeds.

Comments (45)

• Dswan
    20 years ago

Crested wheatgrass. It can get to be six feet high and is quite the fire hazard this time of year.

• amf55nj
    20 years ago

Plant in front of people's homes? Rhododendrons, impatiens, little red and white begonia, petunias, and daylilies.

Wild plant growing conspicuously? Probably the daylilies.

• fishcookie
    20 years ago

Queen Palms. You can drive for an hour in any direction and never be out of sight of one. They are the current darlings of landscape designers and homeowners in Riverside, CA. And they are typically underfed and chlorotic.

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

The orange daylilies are common now, but just a bit ago we had a lot of Dame's Rocket blooming, especially throughoout the woods.

• ankraras
    20 years ago

Oleander, it is luxuriantly blooming right now.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• Bruce7
    20 years ago

Azaleas, hands down. Also lots of cherries, dogwoods, Bradford pears, forsythia, and crape myrtles. Except for the latter, all are done blooming by the first week of May. Most gardens in our area then retire for the summer.

Bruce Ian

• NVAlice
    20 years ago

Sagebrush, the common variety. Grows everywhere!

• junkmanme
    20 years ago

......tumbleweeds........

• MeMyselfAndI
    20 years ago

Do you mean cultivated plant or wild plant? Most common cultivar around here is Stella D'Oro daylilies, followed closely by green/white hostas.

As for most common wild plant, a quick rack of my brain turns up dandelions and honeysuckle.

• ChlorophyllJill
    20 years ago

Here in OK we have Indian Blanket, Indian Paint Brush, Coriopsis, Wild Snapdragon, Orange Milkweed. That's to name a few wildflowers. As far as cultivars, I think they're pretty typical. Petunias, Stella D'Orro, Azaleas, Impatiens. I tend to like the more wild perenials.

Jill

• SissyZeke
    20 years ago

There is one Bradford Pear tree in every yard in my new subdivision. They remind me of a giant all day sucker, that is, until the first big storm.

• kids2spoil
    20 years ago

Oleander, Azalea, and crepe myrtle....nearly every yard has these.

• paulyn
    20 years ago

Wild: Blackberries, douglas fir trees, scotch broom, salal, salmonberries, sword ferns.
    Cultivated: rhododendron, photinia hedges, lots of roses.

• Katt_TX
    20 years ago

Definitely lantana [if you exclude shrubs]. Even though it is quite common here I still like it. Looks great as the 'front' for a cottage garden effect when allowed to trail and spiral thru the various plants.

There are so many colors and cultivars now that you can really add interest with it.

--Katt

• jakkom
    20 years ago

The most common cultivated plant here is agapanthus. Tough and drought-resistant, it's in every mall's median strips.

The most common weed is oxalis. Every spring, you'd swear it's the only thing California gardeners grow, because every lot is full of those pale yellow flowers. It's beautiful, but so incredibly invasive, you just can't get rid of it.

• davissue_zone9
    20 years ago

I call these the "office building plants"- agapanthus, tobira "wheelers dwarf", nandina, photinia, star jasmine, fornight lily. Oh yeah, tam juniper too. Home Depot nurseries in California would be half empty if these were removed from the stock.

• Rohail
    20 years ago

lots of eucalyptus, frangipani, bougainvillea, oleander, neem trees, laburnum trees, ixora, arabian jasmine, cestrum nocturnum, jasminum grandiflorum, palms, hibiscus, euphorbia, adeniums, quisqualis(rangoon creeper), bauhinia, bananas..its pretty tropical here

• laa_laa
    20 years ago

Most common plant...grass... as in front lawns...

• mobius
    20 years ago

The most common weeds are bindweed, canada thistle.
    Most common native plant smooth sumac, (I know there is more but I can't think of any)
    Cultivated: yarrow, roses, lawns, basically anything sold at home depot or lowes. Although, because of the drought here, many people are cultivating xeric plants and taking out their lawns. Hoorah! I love the look of lawns but here in the Colorado plains it takes tons of water and maintenence is increadibly high. Plus most only look really good in the spring.
    Tina

• weedwoman
    20 years ago

I was a volunteer on the woody plant census the Brooklyn Botanic Garden did of the NYC area and the most common one they came up with was Black Cherry, Prunus serotina. My personal guess would have been Poison Ivy.

Garden plants, around here, if you're going to plant just one, it's going to be an Impatiens...

WW

• horse_chick
    20 years ago

Air potato vine. It's the Florida version of Kudzu. Nasty, nasty stuff.

• Nigella
    20 years ago

Kudzu. Followed by Ligustrum japonicum. Followed by Dioscoria bulbifera aka Air Potato.

• Gran_NH_5
    20 years ago

Yews - sick of seeing them cut into poodle shapes. Followed by Rhodys. 20,30,40 years ago that's all anyone planted.

• padraig_1
    20 years ago

Saw palmetto in the woods and crape myrtle in the yards.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    20 years ago

forsythia, yews, rhododendren, azaleas, hosta, rudebeckia, coneflowers, euonymus, groundcover juniper types, impatients, miscanthus and a few other grasses, florida dogwood, barberry, japanese maples, rose of sharon, weeping cherries, petunias and begonias, mums, red salvia, stella d'oro lillies, spireas and lawn (lol-that was a good one) are a few on the local hit parade, same songs every hour. Purple majesty millet and sweet potato vines moved up the charts this year.

• cajunbarry
    20 years ago

Nandinas, which have naturalized throughout the cities and forests of Central Texas.

• Jepa
    20 years ago

Most common weed is definitely dandelion, and the things everyone has in their backyards - i mean the lucky ones that have those things - are apple trees, blackcurrants, gooseberries, and in flower benches, daisies and orange daylilies...

• irinah
    19 years ago

CORN :)

• magazinewriter
    19 years ago

Aside from grass, the most common plant by far is hosta. I suspect there is no home or business in Southeast Michigan with any kind of planting at all that does not have hosta somewhere. And much of it is really ratty looking by this time of the year. Whoever manufactures Sluggo ought to rent a billboard on the Lodge Freeway.

• rross
    19 years ago

Probably Chinese Star Jasmine, Iceberg roses and Plumbago. There are a lot of office buildings and tall ready-landscaped blocks of flats (apartments) around here. I think these plants are on the architects' cheap and easy list. It's a shame, because you tend to associate them with ugly, utilitarian buildings.

• joepyeweed
    19 years ago

as i read through thread i was going to post corn - but someone already posted that - the other most common plant here soybeans...

• Muse_z5
    18 years ago

Okay, most common weed is the dreadful, invasive Garlic Mustard. Annual: Impatiens. Perennial: Shrub Rose and Stella Dora Daylily. Native Tree: Burr Oak.

• springa7
    18 years ago

Most common trees -
    Eastern White Pine (wild and planted)
    Red Maple (wild and planted)
    Norway Maple (planted)
    Cherry (wild)
    White Oak (wild and planted)
    several differen kinds of spruce and fir (planted)

Most common bushes/shrubs -
    Yew (planted)
    Rhododendrons (planted)
    arborvitae (planted)
    azaleas (planted)
    euonymous (planted)
    forsythia (planted)
    bush honeysuckles (wild)
    sumacs (wild)

Most Common Vines -
    Wild Grapevines (wild)
    Oriental Bittersweet (wild, invasive)
    Multiflora Rose (wild, invasive)
    Poison Ivy (wild)
    Virginia Creeper (wild and planted)
    Clematis (planted)

Most common perennial bulbs -
    many kinds of Lilies (planted, occasionally wild)
    Daffodils (planted)
    many kinds of Iris (planted, occasionally wild)
    Tulips (planted)
    Hostas (planted)
    Crocus (planted)

Most common weeds (all types) -
    Dandelion
    Crabgrass
    Galium
    maple & pine seedlings
    wild Violets (also a nice wildflower, these aren't always considered weeds)
    red and white Clover
    Milkweed and Pokeweed
    Woodsorrel (looks a lot like clover, except that it has single yellow flowers)
    Poison Ivy (quite probably the single most hated plant in our area)
    Thistles
    Oriental Bittersweet (invasive and persistent)
    Multiflora Rose (also invasive and persistent)

• Eliza_ann_ca
    18 years ago

Where I live here in southern Ontario,I would have to say the most common annuals have to be impatiens,followed closely by petunias.
    Perennials,would have to be tulips,black eyed susans,and phlox.
    Climbing vines are the clematis and wisteria.
    Trees,sugar maple,cedars.juniper.elm and oak.
    Shrubs,Lilac,boxwood,spirea,and dogwood.(Also flowering crab,almost every garden has one and the city lines the streets with them)

• GrowHappy
    18 years ago

Azaleas!!! Rhododendrons, too.

• vetivert8
    18 years ago

Assorted Hebes, Phormium tenax, Photinia, and acres of Pinus radiata mixed with Ulex europaeus, with pockets of Dicksonia and Nothofagus.

• socks
    18 years ago

Here in So. CA it would probably be azalea, camelia, roses, star jasmine. Nice plants, but they are just out there too much, in everyone's yards. Probably most common tree would be magnolia. Crepe myrtles are popular too.

As for wild plants, mustard would be the most common I would say. It blooms yellow and makes the hillsides look
    beautiful, but then when it heats up the dead mustard is a fire hazard.

• Katrinawitch
    18 years ago

Here in suburban NJ, I guess it would be hosta, daylilies (the plain orange "ditcy lily"), and impatiens. I'm guilty of all of them, but the lilies and hosta were inherited from the house's previous owner.

I love impatiens, so I will continue to plant them in the containers surrounding my shaded patio area. I love their yummy sherbet colors!

I guess as shrubs go, azaleas are king 'round here, as well as rhodies and hydrangeas. I love 'em all!

• mowdy
    18 years ago

In older Denver neighborhoods, I'd say the most common plant is the juniper. I tore six huge ones out of my yard.

• janroze
    18 years ago

Hi. Newbie here, just found this forum and it sounds interesting.
    Hard to say most common plant, but I guess impatiens and hostas for the shade and geraniums and petunias for the sun.
    jan

• daylily77
    17 years ago

"Aside from grass, the most common plant by far is hosta. I suspect there is no home or business in Southeast Michigan with any kind of planting at all that does not have hosta somewhere."

I totally agree with that, there are Hostas EVERYWHERE here! The most common annuals would be impatiens, which are also EVERYWHERE. Petunias would be the 2nd most common. Stella De Oro Daylilies are also common here, but I absolutely love them so don't mind that much at all!

I noticed that a lot of replies in this thread named "Azalea", so I looked it up. I've never seen one of those here at all, can you believe it?

• sprout_wi
    17 years ago

It seems that every office, restaurant or bank has an arrangement of Russian Sage, Liatris, Rudbeckia, Sedum and a tall grass.

• tampaguy
    17 years ago

In the Tampa area I'd say Oak trees, palms, Podocarpus, Indian Hawthorne, Liriope, Bougainvilla, Ixora, Hisbiscus, Oleander if close to salt water.

• kristal
    17 years ago

I'd say hostas and the Stella D' Oro daylily are in abundance around here. Not that I don't like them, too!!

• thebip
    17 years ago

*sings* "Theres more than corrrrrn, in Indiana!!!"

Corn

Thats bout all I can think of right now :)

Unless ya count oaks and maples *nods*

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!