Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherryinmaine

ficus carica marseilles?

sherryinmaine
15 years ago

Hi, logees has this on sale. 4 inch pot, I think. It says to bring indoors in winter. Does this mean just to bring in, not to provide light? Or is it too young to worry about dormancy?

On container forum, I asked & got answers on a fig I saw in container that's 5 or 6 or so years old; apparently been root pruned etc. On that tree, tapla said bring to garage, cover with cardboard box if it gets cold below 20 degrees.

Would I treat this 4 inch potted fig same way? Or bring in house with no special treat ment?

I hope I have been concise.

The big tree is $62, the small sapling or plant is 14 . . .

Sherry

Comments (10)

• hlyell
    15 years ago

Hi Sherry,

Email me. I bought one more Marseilles than I need. If you want it you can have it for what I paid.

Henry

HL@comcast.net

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

I'm still just a fledgling fig freak, and I'm sure the Grand-Pooh-Bah's of figs will chime in on the subject, but from what I have learned you leave it outside till the leaves drop, them move to a cool, dark location, such as an unheated garage or basement.

You CAN plant them permanently outdoors and protect them adequately using several techniques described here as well.

I am a fan of a wire cage stuffed (but not too tightly) with dried leaves, which I find for free all over my yard in the fall.

Secondly, and don't mid interpret this as trying to sway you from supporting your local nurseries, because I feel we should all do so. But, come winter-time there is likely to be quite a few folks on this forum trading and some even giving away cuttings for only the cost of postage. to wit: I got a few Marseilles cuttings from a member here last winter and one is doing quite nicely in my modest suburban orchard/vineyard. I gave the other to an acquaintance and he also got it rooted successfully. In return, I will certainly be offering up any cuttings I have after pruning my various figs, once they go dormant.

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

And there was Henry, posting at the same time I was, proving my point, that Fig Freaks keep the Good Karma rolling!

• steve_nj8
    15 years ago

I've kept them indoors growing all winter when they were small. Moved them outside and into the ground when the weather was warm enough. What I noticed on the 3 that I did this with was a lot of leaf loss. It was no problem because they recovered very quickly and have been growing vigorously since.

• sherryinmaine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Henry, I have sent you an email, asking the price of sending one. Thanks!
    Yes Sandsquid, you are correct, and I am happy to accept others' largesse :0)
    Sherry

• dieseler
    15 years ago

Steve,
    just curious how much growth did you get when you grew indoors during that time, i might try this with my quart size VdB i recently bought.I see we are in simliar cold zonesand since this is so small i would like to give it some more growth before next year.
    Thanks in adavance
    Martin

• peg919
    15 years ago

New young Figs under a foot or so I usually winter over in the house. Some will then go dormant when the time comes and after a rest will sprout again. Others will keep on growing slowly until spring at which time I move them outside. Works for me. Some are just too young and tender to take the cold garage.

Peg

• xgrndpounder
    15 years ago

Dang,
    I'm glad this subject came up, I was going to have to ask another (dumb cecil ?)before winter time.

Thanx Peg. :-)

• dieseler
    15 years ago

Thanks Peg, i thought it might work sorta like mine Oleander and jasmine i also recieved from a friend that brought back cuttings from italy, he simply told me to take them in house or they will die in our zone, several years old now. They do drop leaves and i pick them up right away as the oleander has posionus leaves. But the smell of these flowers is just the best i have ever smelled coming from a flower, its like a perfume and i thought lilacs smelled good. So i will do the same for my VdB FIG.
    mARTIN

• steve_nj8
    15 years ago

You can get alot of growth indoors over the winter. I have a sunny bay window (about 3 ft tall) and I had to remove 2 of the trees to pots on the floor by Feb/March. These were fall cuttings. I didn't get fruit when I moved them outside in their first full season (they are in the ground).