Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sumbell

Help with paint color for focal wall in dining room, peninsula in kitchen. I'm stuck!! Thank you!

sumbell
11 years ago
My kitchen used to be all golden/beige with a U-shaped cabinetry plan. To save money, we kept the cabinets, granite and tile floors. To remodel I've added a peninsula w/a raised bar, so the shape is a "G" and separates the kitchen & eating area. I painted the walls with SW Tavern Taupe (except I had it darkened a bit...I’ll call it “darker tavern”) and the ceiling is SW Canvas Tan.
The problem areas are the focal wall and peninsula wall (the ones w/ color samples on them). Is it better to go neutral on the wall/peninsula and just add pops of color or go bold to warm up the space and separate the dining from the kitchen? I would continue the darker tavern onto the focal wall, but the peninsula and focal wall painted darker creates visual separation from the kitchen.
I’m going for a café feel, on the modern side but not too much (the cabinets are traditional). The cabinets have red undertones, but red for the focal wall is pretty bold & maybe dated? A dark gray seems nice, but when sampled, it’s too dark/muddy/boring. I like the light clay color currently on the wall, but it’s not bringing warmth. I’ve tried reddish/brown, but it seems so dark…or like I’m trying too hard. That wall darkens colors about ½ shade because of light play.
On the peninsula, the light washes color out. Seems only really dark colors look decent. Maybe I’ll cover it with wood panels and paint it…but what color?
I will add a rug under the table later, but I can’t move forward. I'm at a standstill, and what’s worse is that I have a BS in interior design (but very little experience) and I’m losing confidence by the second. I hate when people come to my house and say…”you went to school for what?” Or, “You should know what to do, you’re the designer.” But for some things I just need life experience and this is my first house. Did I mention I have 3 little kids that are sick of me staring at walls? I appreciate any/all advice! Thank you!!!

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Hi sumbell, if you are going for a red-ish accent wall, I think it's just a matter of using a brighter red that relates to the countertop as well.
  • sumbell
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Myrns, I can't believe I didn't notice that about the light fixture. It does look too high now that I look at it. Thanks for pointing that out.
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think the paint colors chosen are too gray and should be more beige. The beige tones of the tile floor & back splash should not be ignored. I'd re-paint the kitchen cabinet area & DR walls in a warm beige. Buy a rug with red for the DR. Maybe a terra cotta tone, or maybe a raspberry tone? Anyway, a red tone rug that greatly enhances the cabinets. Paint the focal DR wall the same red that is in DR rug.

Kitchen examples · More Info
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    Meant to add: I'd change outlet covers. I like stainless steel, but maybe there is a beige that will blend with the back splash? or paint the outlet covers? Buy 1 or more shades of Krylon (or Testors paint works, too) until you get the color that matches tile backsplash for the outlet covers .I also dab paint on the outside of the electrical outlets to have them blend. I think the stainless steel, beige or painted outlet covers look better than the white dotting across the attractive tile.
    Divine Kitchens LLC · More Info
  • sumbell
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I was just thinking about how obvious those covers are today. Because you mentioned it, I think I will try painting them. In the picture the wall color looks a lot more gray than in person. I love the color because it cozies up the kitchen. The tile makes it feel very cold...wish I could've sprung for wood floors. The warm paint will have to do. :) thank you for your suggestions. This is very helpful.
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    Repaint the accent wall the same color as the kitchen. It looks like a sage green, is it? I like the kitchen color. The colors on the accent wall, don't say wow or this looks nice. Those colors are too dull and blah!. Love the space, please paint it the same as the kitchen in this case.
  • sumbell
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The wall color is a gray/brown with a slight undertone of green. The red in the cabinets really shows up nicely now that it's painted that color. Before it was a golden tan color and the cabinets just looked awful against it.
  • Kate
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

TanCalGal gives excellent advice! The light golden cabinets are not enhanced by dark reddish wall or by the grey. TanCalGal is right on when she says to take your cues from the floor and the cabinets. I also think AnitaJoyce 's advice is very good.

• User
    5 years ago
    I know you asked about which brown but I like all your walls in that nice green. With the contrasting trim work the brown is like a third color not a second. One vote for all green.
  • Nancy Walton
    5 years ago

I like the coffee-colored paint your show in your photo looking into the kitchen. It picks up on the diamond accent tile on the wall, and the medium tone in your granite. Good luck!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago

Hi, all…posted over 6 years ago.

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    In my opinion, the granite does not work with the cabinets. The dark colors you are considering, combined with black appliances and dark granite will make your kitchen and dining area feel cavelike. Since most people spend quite a bit of time in the kitchen, I would try for a “light and bright” atmosphere for both areas. Finding a paint which agrees with the both the cabinets and the granite will be difficult. Do you have the option to have the cabinetry painted? If you do, you could select the lightest color in the granite, even if it is white or pale gray, but not the pink tone. Once the cabinets and granite are in harmony, you can pick a color for the walls.