Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_analyst

New fuchsia update (pic)

the_analyst
19 years ago

I repotted my new fuchsia and tied it to stakes so it can grow upright.

{{gwi:786701}}

Sarah

Comments (6)

• tightathome
    19 years ago

Hi

Very impresssive, looks better already, how desperate are you to let it flower though?

Tight....

• the_analyst
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Tight. I would like it to flower as much as it can. On the other hand, I am going to be nervous when I go away in May (I am going to London for 7 days). I will explicit instructions for my parents to take care of it; hopefully they will. Last year, I went away for four days, and when I came home my fuchsia died, b/c no one paid attention to it for me. Let's hope this doesn't happen again.

Sarah

• tightathome
    19 years ago

Sarah

Can I use your pic to explain something and show you what I mean?

Tight....

• the_analyst
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sure Tight. Go right ahead.

Sarah

• tightathome
    19 years ago

Hi Sarah

Thanks for that, I know that when you first get a new plant you are very eager to see the blooms as soon as possible, however this is not always the best thing. I have had a good look at the photo and added a few bits to that will give you something to think about.

You will see that I have marked the ÂÂBroken Stem on the photograph, this looks as though it has broken off, you really need to cut this straight, this will help the Âcut to heal quicker and also assist in preventing disease entering the stem.

I have also marked places on the stem as 1, 2 and 3, I where I suggest (and itÂs only a suggestion) that you actually trim (stop) these stems back to the places indicated.

I can hear your screams from here!!!

What you have to remember though Sarah is that the more stems you have the more flowers you will have in the long run, although this will be about ten to twelve weeks after you Âstop the stems.

You could always root the tips that don't have flower buds showing - yet more things to learn....

With regards to leaving your plant for a week or so you can always stand the plant on some wet capillary matting placed on a tray or alternately run some form of wick (thick string or a burner wick) from the soil in the plant to a cup or small bottle, this will keep the plant slightly watered for about a week. The plant needs to be in a cool airy place while you are away and definitely not put in direct sunshine. If your parents are looking after the plant for you, make sure that you donÂt leave it in the saucer that it is stood in now  they will almost certainly over water it if you do.

I am never sure if the advice given causes more trouble than the original question, but I do hope it helps you.

Tight....

• the_analyst
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Tight, for the advice. I will definitely explain to my parents what to do. I have many plants they will need to care for. Fortunately, most of them aren't as delicate a fuchsia.

Sarah

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County