Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladywindsurfer

Nice Find at a Local Nursery!

ladywindsurfer
14 years ago

Happened to be in the vicinity of one of the chain nursery outlets recently and decided to check their stock for any unusual plants.

Found that they were stocking some nice Helleborus cultivars, that I haven't seen in my area before:

Helleborus x ballardiae 'Pink Frost'

Helleborus x nigercors 'Green Heron'

Helleborus x hybridus - Mardi Gras Strain from Seattle breeder, Charles Price (4 color shades available)

Hopefully this is just a sample of what they will be offering in the future!

Heretofore, if you wanted any of the latest hybrids and cultivars, you had to order them on-line and pay a princely price for a 3½-4" pot and then mortgage the farm to pay shipping & handling. Some places even charge $5 for the shipping carton and an order processing fee of $10-$15, in addition to the shipping charges! At one west coast nursery I recently checked, 2 Helleborus, in 4" pots, cost $50 ($25 ea.) and minimum shipping charges to the East coast was $39. A deal Killer!

In addition to the Helleborus, I found Daphne odora (pink or white blooms) (1 and 3 gal.) and a rare find, flowering Edgeworthia chrysantha in 3 gal. containers.

They also had some nice Camellias, in bloom. But didn't find any that I don't have.

Fortunately, a number of the above mentioned plants followed me home! As soon as the temperatures warm a bit and wind calms down, maybe today, Sat & Sun, I will have them planted, in time for showers on Monday.

Comments (10)

• bagsmom
    14 years ago

So where were you? Was it Pike's? I love hellebores!

• ladywindsurfer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, the one on LaVista, behind Toco Hill SC. Was kinda surprised to find one inside the Perimeter, but the Mgr said there were two others in the N. Atlanta area, one near Lindbergh & on Roswell Rd. If you live in the N Metro suburbs & exburbs, you probably have a number to choose from! The one's near Snellville & Conyers are closed.

Bagsmom__
    If you find any additional Helleborus varieties at one near you, please let me know! I am an avid collector of those winter blooming beauties.
    I'm considering an email to their CA HQ, suggesting that they may want to consider expanding their offering of Hs in their SE outlets. Especially, some of the Heuger Gold Collection (HGC) H. niger's, developed in Germany. H. niger isn't usually found here, because all of the "experts" agree that they won't survive in the South. I and some friends heartily disagree and have grown them for more than 20 years, without any problems!

• scotland1
    14 years ago

Gardenhood in Grant Park posted that they have some unusual Helleborus in right now, including yellow ones. They're only open on weekends for the next few weeks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenhood

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

I went by the Home Depot in Roswell today (Hwy 92 near Woodstock Rd) and they had a group of Harry Lauder's walking stick (Corylus avellana 'Contorta'). Looks like a smallish 3 gallon container - $29.97. They are on consignment from a local nursery. Very nice forms, contorted branches for winter interest and all of them loaded with catkins.

• georgia-rose
    14 years ago

Many years ago, I grew a large Harry Lauder's walking stick in the garden. The family hated it, calling it grotesque and ugly. I finally acceded to their suggestions and removed it. I can't pass one at a nursery, without having fond memories of my old contorted tree!

I checked with the Pikes store at Tucker and they have the Helleborus, so I feel a road trip coming up!

• vicki7
    14 years ago

I love my walking sticks! They are so different from the cookie-cutter sameness of most small shrubs and trees. Never had much interest in hellebores though. I guess the price is kind of a turn off.

• janisoga
    14 years ago

WHEN can you plant the Hellebores?

ALSO, last fall I planted some crocus & daffidols that have been slowly peaking out lately. They have flowered, but are VERY small, any idea what user error I could have committed? I put bulb in the ground w/ fertilizer, black dirt, etc.

Appreciate any help ya'll want to give me. Thanks Jan

• ladywindsurfer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jan__
    You can plant Helleborus anytime the weather is confortable enough for outdoor activities. They must have good drainage, reasonably fertile soil and prefer a neutral to slightly alkaline pH, but perform well in soil that is slightly acidic. Unless you amend your red clay with compost, leaf mold, gypsum. Natures Helper, etc., it would probably be wise to add a handful of Dolomitic Lime (powdered) around the plants when you install them, then water well. After they become established, during dry spells (include winter), water only when the top 3" of the soil becomes dry.

The energy for producing first blooms was stored in your bulbs when you planted them. Small flowers may indicate: Small and/or poorly developed bulbs, improper storage, bulbs exposed to ethylene gas (ripening fruit, such as apples), etc.
    During early fall, feed them with a recommended application of a 1-2-2 NPK formulated fertilizer,such as 5-10-10, 6-12-12. DO NOT remove the foliage until it becomes yellow (or brown).

• susancol
    14 years ago

We've missed the event for this year, but this farm grows Hellebore here in GA, and if you are looking for unique varieties, I bet they can help you. You might give them a call. :)

Susan

On March 5 and 6th, 2010, from 10am to 4pm, take the opportunity to see thousands of lenten roses (Helleborus x hybridus) in full bloom at Piccadilly Farm which is located at 1971 Whippoorwill Rd, Bishop, Georgia near Watkinsville. Turn from GA 53 at the Oconee Civic Center on to Union Church Rd., then right on Whippoorwill. Phone 706-769-6516. The owners Sam and Carleen Jones will be there to greet you. Sadly they have no website, but the trip is worth it. Purchase plants to take home!

• ladywindsurfer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Susancol__

Thanks, but I have been to Picadilly Farms and they had nothing that was very exciting to me. If you are just starting to grow Helleborus, it probably would be worth the trip. They also offered an assortment of conifers, if that happens to be your "cup of tea". I grow a few dwarf Chamaecyparis cultivars, but that's about my limit. Instead, I prefer the JM cultivars and grow about 35 different ones of those.

A friend found some Helleborus x ericsmithii 'Pink Beauty' at a Lowes near her (NW Atlanta), but when I stopped at the Chamblee store, they had none and no one working in their garden center even knew what a Helleborus was.
    The HD at Tucker had H. x ericsmithii, but all of the pots were unlabeled. I guess the grower either didn't know the name or left them unlabeled to avoid paying royalties on a patented plant. I have also seen unlabeled KO Roses (all are patented) at HD, probably for the same reason.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths