Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cnid_gw

beginner - are hardy geraniums aggressive spreaders?

cnid
18 years ago

I have a Johnson's Blue that has clumped up really nicely for me and has stayed where I put it. I bought a dying white (with a bit of pink at the center) last fall and it is coming along nicely and staying put (but it is probably still recovering). Then someone gave me a smaller geranium with pinkish-fuschia flowers. After I had it in for a while I noticed there were 2 forms (the leaves differ in size and how deeply serrated they are). Since I put those plants in (this is their 2nd summer here), I've been noticing little seedlings all over, obviously from seed. I find one of the plants is spreading surprisingly fast as well. They are planted in morning sun, in very dry beds (I don't water much), great soil. What can I expect from these plants?

I rarely have trouble with aggressive plants going crazy because it's SO dry here and I'm very exposed in winter and only mulch a bit.

I don't like the pink ones enough to have them take over my universe!

Thanks for any assistance.

Comments (7)

• ChlorophyllJill
    18 years ago

Seems to me that they can be aggressive. I'm pretty new to hardy geraniums, but from what I've read, there are varieties that have a tendency to be aggressive. Some more so than others. So, I guess it depends on whether you like them enough to pull out the extras.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aggressive Geranium info

• leo_prairie_view
    18 years ago

We have 18 or 19 different perennial geraniums in our garden and only one prolific self seeder. That is G. pyrenaicum. It is, however easy to pull up or to move to where you want it. Here is a picture from last summer showing mostly G. pyrenaicum album, but with one blossom of the more usual pink. Perhaps it is our exposed Zone 2 climate that keeps the others under control.
    Leo

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gata
    18 years ago

In my garden I find G. phaeum to self sow in an aggressive way, and G. macrorrhizum to spread laterally, but not really aggressively. G. macrorrhizum also self sows fairly freely.

• leo_prairie_view
    18 years ago

I was able to get into the garden yesterday after a week of rain and would add G. praetense to the list of vigorous self-seeders. I would strongly recommend that if the pink geranium you have is G. pyrenaicum that you get rid of it now if you don't want it everywhere. From a distance I thought I had a bad invasion of chickweed but when I got into the garden I found it was G. pyrenaicum absolutly everywhere.

• cnid
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info. I went to the site ChlorophyllJill noted. That writer doesn't see spreading as a problem - to each his own! I enjoyed your picture Leo - the 3 colours of flowers look wonderful against all that green. I think I will dig up the pinks and stick with the white and the blue for now. I have found a lot of babies between the stones in my walkway. I have a hard time throwing plants out but I think it's the best thing to do. I stuck one pink in a pot - a friend has no garden, only a deck and we're going to see if it survives for her over the summer in a pot on her deck.

Thanks again. cnid

• karen_mcgaffney
    18 years ago

what about the woodland geranium? does it spread well
    thanks much

• zephirine_lyon
    18 years ago

Do you mean Geranium sylvaticum, Karen?
    It doesn't actually self sow in my garden, but the clump does increase, and it can be fairly easily divided in the spring, if you want more specimen.