Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyrus_gardner

yucca

cyrus_gardner
14 years ago

Let us learn more about YUCCA.

Actually, I am here to learn.

I have read in an herbs/medicinal book that yucca's sap is medicinal. The picture shown in the book looks just like the ones that grow around here. It is said that it is native to texas to southeaster US. That should include GA as well.

Is that the ones that grow around here?

If so, I have access to some yucca that now are growing big shoots with full of buds, to open soon and am interested in knowing how to tap them, or to get their sap somehow. Specifically, the book says that yucca's flowers and sap etc are edible and also medicinal for arthuritus / joints pain.

So lets jump in and clarify the subject and share information.

INTERNET IS SUCH A WONDEROUS THING THAT HAS HAPPENED AFTER THE BALL POINT PEN (Grin!)

Comments (9)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

I believe Yucca filamentosa is the one you mostly see around here and yes, it is native to Georgia and the southeastern US.

I don't know anything about using parts of it for medicinal purposes. You might be interested in getting a copy of the book "Medicinal Plants of the Southern Appalachians"
    by Patricia Kyritsi Howell.

• cyrus_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks esh

The information that I got is from the bood:
    THE HERB AND SPICE COMPANION
    by: Marcus A. Web & Richard Craze

But they mentioned it "Yucca Gloriosa". The picture shown in the book is almost idnticat to the yucca I see around here. I will searc the net on both, gloriosa and filamentosa.

Cyrus

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Yucca gloriosa, also native, appears to be more of a coastal plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yucca gloriosa distribution in Georgia

• cyrus_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, you are right , I think.
    You are gonna love this:
    The good news is that yucca filamentosa's flowers, stem and fruits are edible. Cut the young stem (I would think before flowering, RIGHT NOW?) and cook it like asparragus.
    Some sources say that flowers might be somewhat bitter.
    We shall see soon.
    I am going to cook some yucca asparragus tomorrow night. Hehe
    Cyrus

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I am probably the only person I know who has successfully rided themselves of yucca. If I thought eating the stem would be beneficial and I felt I would not need body armor to do so, I might try it!

• cyrus_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My information about edibility of yucca filamentosa comes from the following link:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Yucca+filamentosa

Go ahead and read it for yourself.

Here is a link that might be useful: yucca filamentosa

• davidcf
    14 years ago

Don't forget Yucca aloifolia, the Spanish Bayonet. Native to US southeast coast and Florida. Used to be commonly planted in the southeast but ahem, those leaves are rather sharp. Becoming a southern heirloom plant. Boldest & prettiest of them all, IMHO. Just watch those leaves.

• satellitehead
    14 years ago

Funny, ever since this thread came up, I am seeing the plant everywhere in bloom.

• cyrus_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, satellitehead, they are bloomong now. That means its a bit too late to enjoy the young soots as sparagus. But I have managed to find a couple of them. Now I am waiting for the blooms and later on the fruits to eat. I am also planning on to weave a basket from the leave.

David, all yucca leaves(older than a year) have sharp edges. So does yucca filamentosa. Even most tall grass leaves have sharp edges.Actually they have saw like teeth but very fine.

Sponsored