Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_bochonko

Mystery Vines

Kathy Bochonko
15 years ago

Ok I have 3 vines I can not identify. The first one I know I planted and I think I got it on a Native Plant Rescue. the other two are volunteers. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments (6)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

The first one looks like Euonymus fortunei, a non-native vine that can be aggressive.

The last two both look like Decumaria barbara, a native vine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Euonymus fortunei

• Kathy Bochonko
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Esh- So I guess I'll yank the first one. The others have sprouted on a rocky slope where there is really nothing for them to climb, can I move them to along my fence? It is a split rail, and I wonder how this would do if I planted them near the wood posts.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

They do like to climb - I have let it grow up the fence (much to my spouse's dismay)in full sun in the hopes of seeing it bloom. It also grows up trees in the woods, but much of it just scrambles along the ground.

I think you can move it.

• gmom74
    15 years ago

Yes, that Euonymus is a terrible weed in our yard. Unfortunately, we planted it 25 years ago without knowing how aggressive it is. We are still paying the price. It's as hard to get rid of as ivy.

• Kathy Bochonko
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So the climbing Hydrangea can take full sun? Has yours bloomed? I have one on the other side of the yard that is finally starting to climb up a tree. It is about 6-8 ft high right now. I would guess it gets 5-6 hours of sun at best. Will it bloom there do you think. I was going to move the other two into the woods, but I guess it needs at least a modest amount of sun to bloom? If I plant it along the fence where the sun peaks in for a few hours do you think it would still bloom?

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

I am no bloom expert - I've lived here for almost 5 years and haven't seen one yet (course they could be blooming high up). The fence surrounds the pool so you can bet that it gets lots of sun. Of course it is well established, was there when I got here, I've just let it keep on.

Yes, do move those to an area that gets 5-6 hours of sun (morning or afternoon). You'll have to supplement some water of course while they get established this year. If you can, take as much root/dirt as you can to minimize the disruption.

My friend in Woodstock has a huge vine and it does bloom.

Sponsored