Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kanuk_gw

How many seeds per cell?

kanuk
16 years ago

Hi Grass Lovers

I'm especially new to growing from seed. My question is how many seeds would a person plant in each cell of say a 36 cell deep tray.

I've been looking at web pictures showing commercial plugs for sale but I can't determine how many grasses per cell are usually in a plug. Also would one commercial plug give you a healthy sized grass clump when full grown OR would most people plant more than one plug to achieve the look of mature grasses seen in most landscape situations ( ie. parks, professionally landscaped yards)?

If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it. Let's use Korean Feather Grass ( Stipa brochytricha aka Calamagrostis ) as the seed being planted in this case.

Would the grass type being planted change the number of seeds per cell?

Thank you in advance for your help.

kanuk

Comments (7)

• chestnutpatrick
    16 years ago

Last year I sowed one fescue seed per cell and ended up with 4 inch diameter plants. I would it assume the number of seeds would depend on the species. If you do not find answers here contact the seed house and I am sure they can answer questions. Good luck.

PC

• kanuk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

chestnutpatrick
    Thanks for your response. I see you're interested in winter sowing as well. Did you winter sow the fescue?
    Winter sowing is new to me this year. I'm hoping I can benefit from using this method of sowing as I live in Zone 4 in Canada. Most of our year is winter!! LOL
    I've have a new 2 acre yard to start developing/filling with gardens thus my interest in starting my plants from seeds/plugs etc.
    Ornamental grasses have been a favorite of mine in gardens for some time now and finally I get to utilize them in my own planting schemes.
    It's intimidating having to learn so much about something that I know nothing about. Having the support from members @ Garden Web has certainly provided me with the information I need to see some success in my attempts to become a better gardener.

Happy Gardening

• chestnutpatrick
    16 years ago

I am a novice when it comes to OG. There are many members who have grown many varieties from seed and most of them recommend Jelitto seeds. i ordered from them this winter and look forward to growing them this spring and summer. As for wintersowing OG I planted all of my cold season grasses in late Late April and Early may. They all did fine. i ended up with

Blue Fescue
    Deschampia
    E. Spectabilis
    Miscanthus (not much growth in the first year)

When I sow this spring I will post photos of the progress.

Good luck.

• kanuk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

chestnutpatrick~ Saying that you "planted" all your cold season grasses in late April and early May ... is that considered winter sowing for you? Aren't you in Zone 7?
    Or do you mean you "trans"planted the baby plants that you grew from seeds out into the garden in April/May? Or did you direct sow the seeds into the garden?

Did you plant one seed per cell of Deschampia, E. spectabilis and Miscanthus like you did fescue? If so did that produce a thick/full enough clump of grass to be a substantial specimen in your garden?

If I sound confused ... I am. lol

• carrie630
    16 years ago

When we say "wintersow", it usually means put the seeds outdoors in mini-greenhouses and letting mother nature do her thing. So, when we put containers out as such in the spring (like I do my zinnias in March - closer to spring -), we still say "wintersow", because it is the method, rather than the time of year - although many put containers out mostly in the winter and then wait for the heat spells to germinate their seeds. Ii don't because many times in the winter we can really warm weeks in NC and i don't want my tenders to sprout in the winter.

I "wintersow" my blue fescue grass seeds (a few seeds to a container), when the temps are warmer - again, using the expression wintersow to define my way of sowing - in containers, outside. with plastic coverings for ventilation.

Does that help? (I know at first it does seem confusing)

Carrie

• chestnutpatrick
    16 years ago

I got a late start. So maybe they were spring sown. As per instruction from the grass gurus here on the GW I waited until warmer temps to avoid seed rot. The grasses I listed do not require cold stratification so there is no incentive in sowing early. The seedlings were transplanted FROM FLATS in mid April to one gallon and/or one quart pots and were planted (in the ground) out in august or sept. (I forget). These plants have done well as we are experiencing a mild winter.

The smaller seeds such as spectabilis and deschamp. ended up getting multiple (exact # ?) seeds per cell as they are impossible to plant individually. All of the grass plugs are at least four inches across to date and I expect them to increase in size in year two (creep) and explode in year three (leap.) All good things in time.

You can't go wrong.....If you have seed wintersow some and spring sow more. let us know what happens.

PC

• kanuk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carrie ~ Yes you have cleared things up...thank you. I have familiarized myself with the winter sowing method over the last month or so. I was so exhausted after my first spring/summer/autumn out in our new "digs" that I was looking forward to the calm of winter.
    Wrong!!!!! Somehow I came upon "winter sowing" and so... my gardening obsession continues year round. No rest like I thought winter might afford me.
    lol
    BTW I loved reading your profile. "19 years"!!!! Now that I'm bitten I guess I'm in for the long haul. " Oh my achin' back! "

PC~ I'm sorry I don't seem to let you go. lol I bookmarked Jelitto already. It's a wealth of information that gives advice on # seeds/cell on some but not all plants. Very helpful nonetheless. I'm inclined to the technical blabber so it suits me fine.
    Your last response touches on another topic. Cool season & warm season grasses I suppose. ( gulp )
    Thanks for the follow up. It has shed light on your process. I will set some seeds aside for both winter sowing ( and I mean with snow and all ) and some for spring in case of failure. Perhaps they'll both work and I'll be up to my armpits in grasses!! YaY!!
    ++fingers crossed+++

I hope you'll share your pictures. I'll be looking out for them.

Thanks Carrie & PC

Bruce

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional
More Discussions