Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoyess

miscanthus sinensis purpurascens or calamagrostis Karl Foerster

hoyess
17 years ago

I'm planning on putting in some grasses next spring in a landscape plan along the back of my 2 acre property. I one area I plan on putting in some woodland trees with lots of fall colour (red maples, sugar maples, tupelo etc). In the front of this I'd like some grasses to provide movement through the summer. I'll combine this with sedums, coneflowers etc. One look I want is a group tall grass with a smaller arching grass in front. As grasses are new to me which would look better together:

Calamagrostis acutifolora 'Karl Foerster' and pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hameln'

or

miscanthus sinensis purpurascens (flame grass) and Hameln

Elsewhere along the back I was thinking of Panicum virgatum 'Dallas Blues', Miscanthus sinensis 'Adagio'. Is there anything I should consider about siting these? Both of these will be specimen in a perennial bed rather than masses.

Thanks for the help

Sharon

I live in Zone 5 in Canada if that makes a difference.

Comments (6)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    17 years ago

Miscanthus purpurescens never did very well for me. One of the problems was that it was highly susceptible to frost, and I'm in what's known locally as a frost pocket--that is, subject to frosts long after the rest of the county is frost free. None of the many other grasses I grow were bothered by this. Calamagrostis Karl Foerster is a terrific grass, upright and relatively narrow, and it blooms in summer, so by fall when most of the other grasses are blooming, it is gold colored.

I also like Schizachyrium scoparium 'The Blues' much better than the Panicums. The colors both in summer and fall/winter are gorgeous.

• hoyess
    Original Author
    17 years ago

pollyny Huron Sunrise looks lovely. Does the foliage get a reddish tinge or just the flowers? Sounds like I will combine Karl Foerster with Hameln and pass on the flame grass.

re Adagio I'll keep that in mind and keep in more central in the bed.

laceyvail I assume Schizachyrium scoparium 'The Blues' is the same as Andropogon scpoarius 'The Blues' which is what I have listed up here? What is the height? I have one source for Dallas Blues which says 6-8 feet and 'The Blues' which is from a different source says less than 3 feet?

• PollyNY
    17 years ago

Sharon,

The Huron Sunrise leaves do get a reddish tint. Not real red like the flame grass, but reddish.

There is a whole line of the Huron grasses,from Canadian horticulturist Martin Quinn from Kincardine, Ontario. Mr Quinn has a nursery there, and has written a book on grasses. Are you anywhere near there?

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    17 years ago

Schizachyrium scoparium (Little Bluestem) is about 2 feet tall. I don't know if it's the same as Andropogon, though I know that Big Bluestem is A. gerardii. I think "Dallas Blues' is a cultivar of a different grass.

• donn_
    17 years ago

'Dallas Blues' is a cultivar of Panicum virgatum (Switch Grass).

Andropogin scoparius is the old Latin name for Little Bluestem. Some dealers still use it. 'The Blues' is the cultivar name, either way.