Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_fool

spaghetti squash

garden_fool
15 years ago

When do I pick the spaghetti squash. I have never grown this type before. Thanks for the information

Comments (20)

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

It is a winter squash. It can be picked when the skin is hard ( not easily cut with a fingernail)

• garden_fool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have another question. On the seed pack it showes the spaghetti squash to be yellow but mine are light green and some are darker green. I cut one of the light green ones open and there was no spaghetti.

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

There are several; different cultivars of spaghetti squash. It is a winter squash. All I have experience with are a buff yellow or almost white when ripe. It is a winter squash. Typically boiled or baked whole, then cut open, and the flesh scraped out with a fork. In essence it is a very stringy winter squash. These strings resemble spaghetti and in fact make a very good substitute.

• misskimmie
    15 years ago

The "spaghetti" is more obvious when it's cooked. I cut it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, then boil or steam until the flesh is tender but not too soft. I drain and scoop out the strings from the hard skin. Serve like spaghetti with a sauce or butter with parmesan cheese and herbs.

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

The green ones aren't ready. They start off pale green and then turn dark green and then turn yellow. Very similar to how a pumpkin starts off light green, then dark green, then orange. Wait till the squash turn the color you expect them to be before you harvest them.

• lunatoo
    15 years ago

I did not pick mine last year until September. The package suggested that they had to be "cured". I picked them when they were ripe, and allowed them to sit in the sun for 7 days or so as instructed to cure. I still have three left from last years harvest! I got about 30 from 4 vines.

• l_e_mueller_att_net
    12 years ago

my light spaghetti squash are turning dark green

• spiced_ham
    12 years ago

I have two plants out of twelve that are producing speckled dark green fruit. The seeds are from a store bought spaghetti squash so I assume cross pollination with pumpkins. The rest are solid light green from flowering to full size.

• User
    10 years ago

I have a few volunteer vines from some steer manure I applied last year. One I believe is a spaghetti squash that has yet to mature...

• girlbug2
    10 years ago

Reggie 101, that's an awesome squash, whatever it is. Keep us posted when you harvest and tell us if it is a spaghetti squash or something else.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Well, it is not going to hurt if you leave them on the vine. You can keep them for months. But the mature one definitely will develop that "SPAGHETTI" characteristic when cooked. But when the stem has turned brown(no longer is green) it is don with the plant and can live without it.

• Pat Sheinman
    9 years ago

Here is a pic of a spaghetti squash I grew from seed from a store-bought squash last fall. The squash I purchased and ate was NOT dark green. Should I assume this will change color when it matures? It's already nearly a foot long.

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

The chances that any squash grown from a store bought wil be a crosspollinated mutt are very high. squash are very promiscuos. That one looks as if its daddy was a zucchini. It will change color when ripe, but consider it a surprise package.

• Pat Sheinman
    9 years ago

Thanks, farmerdill! I will post pics as it matures and, of course, of the final outcome on my dinner table!

• Sid23
    9 years ago

I would agree it is a zucchini/spaghetti cross. Not sure now will it be a Winter or Summer squash?!?!

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Whether depends on when you use it. Many summer squash ripen with solid flesh. It is just not very good. Winter squash can be used as immature summer squash, tho usually not as tasty as ones designed for that purpose.

• killz1919
    6 years ago

I bought 2 spaghetti squash plants. One is the normal plant and the other is producing squashes like the one in the picture. Is this a spaghetti squash plant and if so how long do I wait to pick and what am I looking for?

• farmerdill
    6 years ago

At this point Your best choice is to let it completely ripen. Hard skin, dry stem. You could leave until the vine dies. It looks like a cross, but the best way to find out is to cook and prepare. Spaghetti squash will be very stringy.

• ninecrow
    5 years ago

When Would I Be Seeing The Fruits In The Shops?
    Thanks

• HU-396692391
    2 years ago

I have a vine with 3 squash which look exactly like that picture (except one is huuuge). Pretty sure it was from seed from a spaghetti squash we ate. Maybe one of the parents of the hybrid? Sure would like to know something about it.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!