Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlady48_gw

Designing w/Ornamental Grass...

gardenlady48
19 years ago

What are some OUTSTANDING combinations with ornamental grass in your experinece??? Need some ideas to get me started and thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

• dawgie
    19 years ago

Look for this book -- Grasses: Versatile Partners for Uncommon Garden Design" by Nancy J. Ondra, Saxon Holt (Photographer). It sells for about $16 through Amazon.

The book has lots of incredible photos of ornamental grasses in gardens mixed with other plants. It's also a good reference on grasses. Some plant combinations that stand out include Russian Sage w/ various Miscanthus varieties. Also, Golden Hakone Grass with hostas and other shade perennials. In my garden, I have combined Miscanthus (Adagio) with Russian Sage and Black-Eyed Susans to good effect. Blue Fescues seem to go well with various sedums. I combined Golden Hakone in a shade bed with impatiens, hostas, dwarf iris and a Japanese red maple (Garnet).

• deep___roots
    19 years ago

verbena bonariensis
    any coreopsis, esp. "moonbeam"
    small conifers or prostrate junipers
    sometimes roses go with variegated grasses (esp. white & green)
    taiba, the dwarf mounding shrub (i think it's a pittisporum)
    really, there is no end to the possibilities

• PollyNY
    19 years ago

My favorite is Miscanthus sinensis 'Gracillimus' with Eupatorium 'Gateway'. I saw a show on HGTV that had two gentlemen gardeners from Michigan, and they had a blue spruce tree, quite large, that had a skirt of Pennisetum alopecuroides that was absolutely beautiful. I remember the show was hosted by Erica Glaser (?sp), and they had a maze of grasses that included numerous Miscanthus, which looked so neat together. Anyone recall that show?

• BruMeta
    19 years ago

Well, all the suggestions here are good. You really cannot err, especially if site (cultural) requirements of grass and perennial are similar. Stare at the grass, close your eyes, andÂquickÂwhat color do you see? Texture? Relative height?

a. Pale, delicate, short? Coreopsis 'Moonbeam.'
    b. School-bus yellow, coarse, taller? Black-eyed Susans. Get the picture?

My favorite book, for what it's worth, is Piet OudolfÂs Designing with Plants, an inspirational book that focuses on light, color, texture, shape of (less common) perennials that happen to combine well with grasses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Designing with Plants

Sponsored
More Discussions